Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2008, 5:57 am

.... Bite when I touch her sometimes, I just stroke her on the back and she takes a snap at me, and then I retract me hand because I don't want to get bitten. I think it hurts.
This also happens when I try to pick her up to carry her, but that's mostly when we're inside, she doesn't bite when we're outside. Probably because she has other thing's to focus on rather than me then.

Other people experience this with their cats?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 9:59 am

Samantha used to bite when she was overstimulated. If someone touched a sensitive spot, she would bite. Otherwise, she was the sweetest, most loyal, loving cat in the world. I just had to watch where I touched her.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2008, 10:05 am

Same on our cat, if we scratch her belly too hard, she bite or scratch us because she has been sterilised. So that's a tender spot.
What could I do to stop her biting? Just take her hard in the neck every time she does it? (Grab her in the back of the neck)

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:07 am

My cat just gives me love bites. When I am petting him or when he wants to play. He never breaks skin, he makes it hurt just enough to make me say "OW" then he lets go.
I never pull my hand away from a bite or scratch, because instead of a puncture, I could get a laceration.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:12 am

I had 2 cats for the longest time when I was younger, and they were like my best friends. Despite being so close, yeah, rub them the wrong way sometimes and you get scratched.

We'd "play" like that sometimes, I'd purposely piss them off, and they'd proceed to tear my hand up. But after they calmed down, they'd always lick my hand where they scratched and all was well.

I don't know if you can get her to stop biting, or if you should even try. As long as she's not going around maliciously biting children or whatnot, then it's just a simple case of her being "catty."

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2008, 10:22 am

She doesn't bite randomly, it's only If I pet or hold her when she doesn't want to.

We adopted her from an animal shelter, and they had taken her from an drug addict, so I think she has been beaten or something, or at least hit.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:26 am

Like I said, as long as she's not making you bleed(badly) or something else extreme, it's just her nature and it's fine. She's an animal, so aggressive behavior isn't abnormal...especially since she's a cat. They have quite the bit of personality.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2008, 10:29 am

Maybe you are right, I retract my hand before she get's the chance to take a real snag at my hand.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:40 am

Airbrush wrote:
.... Bite when I touch her sometimes, I just stroke her on the back and she takes a snap at me, and then I retract me hand because I don't want to get bitten. I think it hurts.
This also happens when I try to pick her up to carry her, but that's mostly when we're inside, she doesn't bite when we're outside. Probably because she has other thing's to focus on rather than me then.

My cat used to do that, to let me know I was petting her in the wrong place. We get along great now.

Those who know, don't speak.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2008, 10:46 am

jawbrodt wrote:
Airbrush wrote:

My cat used to do that, to let me know I was petting her in the wrong place. We get along great now.

She bites if I pet her at all, sometimes she doesn't bite right away though.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:05 pm

Airbrush wrote:
jawbrodt wrote:
Airbrush wrote:

I have found that cats generally, only want petted when they want something. It probably wants food, water,treats, or its litter cleaned. It bites you, out of frustration, because you are not responding to its signals. About every 5 or 6 days, my cat lets me know it wants me to change its litter. They can be very picky.

Those who know, don't speak.

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2008, 12:11 pm

jawbrodt wrote:
Airbrush wrote:
jawbrodt wrote:
Airbrush wrote:

I have found that cats generally, only want petted when they want something. It probably wants food, water,treats, or its litter cleaned. It bites you, out of frustration, because you are not responding to its signals. About every 5 or 6 days, my cat lets me know it wants me to change its litter. They can be very picky.

She get's food every day at the same time each day, her litter get's cleaned when we see it's starting to be full and it starts to smell, she has water at all times in her bowl.
Maybe because we haven't let her go out on her own yet? (I'm a bit scared that she'll get lost or don't come home in a couple of days) We let her go out everyday, but we watch her and take her back if she goes to far etc.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:36 pm

Cat + Oven = :)

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:37 pm

Kalister1 wrote:

I disagree. The oven will produce such predictable results. But the microwave... :twisted:

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:45 pm

Bluesummers wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:

I disagree. The oven will produce such predictable results. But the microwave... :twisted:

:twisted:

Riddick124
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 12:51 pm

Hmmm. I remember when I was younger, I was the kind of impulsive acts. We put a hose on the top of a slide with a top on it, making a water slide. I grabbed one of our 2 outdoor cats and went down with it, while wearing just swim trunks, to see if it liked the water slide.

The scratches did not go away for over a month.