Who's Death Shocked You the Most?

Page 1 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 4:48 pm

Ok, I don't get many channels hence I don't watch the news like I used to. Just found out a really good actor died.

Anyway, it always stuns me when something rare like that happens. I would say Heath Ledger's death was the most shocking but it wasn't......don't know why.

Mine biggest shock was when Princess Dian died.

What's yours and how did it shock you?

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

Well, Douglas Adams died at 49, that was a bit of a bummer.

I was also sad when my favourite author William Golding died.

But the biggest shock was probably the death of Pope John Paul I after only three months in office. I heard about it on the car radio the one and only time I hitch-hiked. The driver and I turned to each other and said, "Didn't the Pope just die?"

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

Johnny Carson's death really shocked me. He was (still is) my favorite celebrity. I was sad when I heard about it. I thought about my favorite Tonight Show skits he did like "Carnac the Magnificent" and a few of his interviews. I found a DVD collection of his best moments and watch them every once in a while. In fact, I may just pop one in now.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:03 pm

Anna Nicole Smith... I thought she'd live at least as long as Dolly Parton.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:05 pm

Princess Diana's death shocked me, the most. She was so young. I was filling out entry forms, to win a trip for 2 to London, at the time. Another thing that I remember, is that those forms had Routemasters on them, which was the reason that I wanted to win the trip. I was also crying, the next day, and my dumb ass mum thought that I was crying, because I didn't want to go back to work, when I was actually crying over the death of Princess Diana. She thought it was strange, that I was doing that, and I've told her, "I'm not like that baby who was in my college programme. I don't cry over trivial things, like work!"

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:23 pm

Phil Hartman and Gilda Radner

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:26 pm

Yeah, I think when Diana died, it was my first experience of someone with that much notice would go like that.

Anna Nicole's son's death really shocked me, since I had been watching that silly show The Anna Nicole Show. Then after Anna Nicole died. That was probably the strangest coincidence to learn.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:27 pm

Diana's death also shocked me, it was only a month after my mom passed away

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:28 pm

Aside from ants, the first death I saw was my pet bird Alice. She was a grackle and had fallen out of the nest; my family took care of her and she loved us so much that she wouldn't leave us when we took her outside on many occasions. Alice choked on some rice that she was eating and my dad tried to perform CPR on the poor bird. Then there was Sammy the Salamander we had found but didn't know what to feed it. Thought it had been eating some of the food we gave it but apparently not. Third was my dad who died of lung cancer. Then the rats Hope and Sarah. Then Skyler the sparrow. Then Tyler the rat. Then Maggie the mouse. Then Peppy and Petey the parakeets. I am sick of death, but I'm getting used to losing friends unfortunately. Physical life is very temporary.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:34 pm

^I know what you mean and yet I think we tend to think of everyone and everything as though they were immortal. It's just a shock to me when it does happen as though I never expected it to.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:37 pm

losing a pet is very hard thing to go though, I had called my dog Beansy, she was across the street, and she started coming to me, but got hit by a car, its something I have aways blamed myself for, she was a good little dog

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:43 pm

Another death that shocked me was my grandfather's death. I knew he was on his death bed but I expected him to live at least another week. I didn't know him all that well but I still felt a loss.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:45 pm

how about when Ray Charles died

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 5:57 pm

1996. When Jon Pertwee died. That year was when family had died, and Pertwee's death came right in the middle of it.

EDIT: He was the first big shock, but I think that the biggest shock came to me when Steve Irwin died. I'm still getting over the legacy of that.

On sabbatical...

333Onfire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

Did You hear that willy Nelson died today?He was playing on the road again.

I'm not sure though of the one that shocked me. THe crocadile hunter suprised me..I don't why though of all of the ones said he probably was the one with the best chance of it.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 6:06 pm

No really