Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 3:17 pm

Today I have been looking up loads of stuff I used to watch on tv when I was little, and when I looked up Thomas the Tank Engine on Wikipedia it has a bit about how ASD kids tend to like it :o :

Quote:
Popularity with autistic audience
- In June and July 2001, the National Autistic Society conducted a survey of 81 parents of children with autism and Asperger syndrome to investigate their putative 'special relationship' with Thomas the Tank Engine. The survey confirmed the organisation's assumption from anecdotal evidence that children with autism spectrum disorders associate far more strongly with Thomas the Tank Engine than with other children's characters.[9].

- In the National Autistic Society's April 2007 survey, conducted with 748 UK parents of children under 10 with autism, 58% of parents reported Thomas was the first children's character their children enjoyed, with about 1/3 of parents reported their children were able to learn basic facial expressions from the characters, as all of Thomas's friends have easy-to-read expressions. 54% of parents reported that the stories contributed to their child's sense of security.[10]

So, who else here loved Thomas and Friends when they were little?
I used to collect all the toys they made of them. Apparently my parents kept them so there are loads of toy trains and stuff in our loft. :lol:

What else did you watch on tv when you were little?
Bill and Ben is quite creepy if I watch it now!

ReGiFroFoLa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2008, 3:30 pm

I like Thomas... I play a lot with those wooden trains and I watch a lot of Thomas&Friends cartoons - because of my 2 year old cousine...

But as a child I was fascinated with trains as well. I had this electric train set - and I could play with it for hours... Ironically - I was never interested in dolls (altough I'm a girl). I was always treating dolls as test subjects - and I was cutting their hair... Yet I was obssesively fixated into those tiny, dolls' clothes... Am I weird, or what?

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 3:43 pm

Now you're bringing back some memories

Yes I used to watch Thomas aswell as Theodore the Tugboat. Anyone remember that? Others include , Teenage Mutant ninja turtles, He Man and my favourite BraveStarr.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 3:52 pm

Aspies have a strange fascination with trains? :lol:

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

14 Dec 2008, 3:45 am

Ahh Thomas. MY favourite show! I liked that they always went down a set line all the time, always went into the same room-thing every night, etc. I need to watch it again, it was great.

I also liked Jim Henson's The Animal Show. Hey Tizz, time for a quiz?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 3:46 am

thomas the tanked engine

14 Dec 2008, 3:55 am

I watched Shining Time Station when I was little. I was never obsessed with it or had it as my special interest.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 9:22 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I watched Shining Time Station when I was little. I was never obsessed with it or had it as my special interest.

I liked that show too!...Esp. the ones with Ringo Starr as the conductor!...and it also had that actress who was the voice of Raggedy Ann.

The kid I nannied for was super-obsessed with Thomas. I wonder how he's doing...he was 3 at the time..he is probably close to 12 now.

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

14 Dec 2008, 10:54 am

That was such a cool cartoon! I think I have a few episodes on VHS.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 11:07 am

To be honest I think thomas the tank engine scared me, it scared me as a kid for a variety of reasons such as sentient vehicles, a lot of accidents and thier faces, and I think being scared of it has made it uneasy to watch it now. Not that I dont know a few of possibly autistic people (mostly young) who are interested in thomas, my mums best friend from highschool even to after she has moved back to Sydney from since I have been born, son has had a big interest in Thomas and trains to a possible autistic level.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2008, 12:12 pm

My sister and I used to watch Shining Time station when we were little as well. Did anyone here notice that Mr. Schemer showed some signs of Autism as well?

14 Dec 2008, 2:58 pm

Stereokid wrote:
My sister and I used to watch Shining Time station when we were little as well. Did anyone here notice that Mr. Schemer showed some signs of Autism as well?

No. I was a little kid then and it was so long ago when I watched it. I was maybe seven when I last saw it.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 4:09 pm

Apparantely I used to hate it as a toddler but I don't see much of a problem with it now. :) But I do remember as a kid I loved Teletubbies and Postman Pat. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2008, 5:10 pm

Hehe, I started to hum the theme tune when I saw this.

I loved it.

I had my little Thomas toy train in Annie and Clarabell carriages. And loved watching the TVshow. I had some books too I think.

I apparently even had a cake made of one of the trains for my second or third birthday (I share my middle name with one of the other trains, but I'm not saying which).

Tim_UK
Toucan
Toucan

15 Dec 2008, 5:58 am

Yeah, had a few episodes on VHS. Was more interested in the F*T Controller though, what a legend!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 12:12 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

it was for me, I remember that George Carlin and Ringo Starr were on that show (of all people)