Things that irk you: slow walkers >:! !!

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MannyAck
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jan 2009, 7:57 pm

I can't stand slow walkers; not people with a physical disability or who are laden down with bags/kids, or whoever has a valid reason to be slow, but people who seem to deliberately walk at a snail's pace for absolutely no other reason than to (seemingly) irritate the heck out of everyone else. I'm not talking about a casual, leisurely stroll. I'm talking moving at .1% above the velocity of rigor mortis. Granted, no one has an obligation to walk at a certain pace, but some people just take the p!$$. And in case you're wondering why should they annoy me when I can simply walk round them? Well, they annoy me because I can't walk round them :x! I get stuck behind a slow walker (or even worse, a group of them) and the traffic on either side of me is too heavy for me to be able to pull out without tripping over someone (ahh dyspraxia, how I love thee!).

However, I have something to confess. Yesterday I became that which I hate most: a Slow Walker. It was completely unintentional. I was just walking along in a busy street and my phone which was in my bag started to ring. I could have just left it, but for some unfathomable reason I just had to answer it. Call it temporary insanity, but I just didn't think. I had to slow down to fumble about in my bag to find my phone, all the while no doubt infuriating those behind me. Some Glaswegian woman yelled loudly "for f**k's sake!" right in my ear as she overtook me. I am ashamed and embarrassed and ridden with self loathing. This is something that will haunt me in my dreams for years to come. One day when I'm a famous pr0n star (huge lol) a rag mag will unearth this unfortunate little tidbit and it'll be "Krystal Champagne; my sordid secret: I was a Slow Walker". How can I live with myself now???

Anyway, my question is: does anyone else hate slow walkers as much as I do... or am I just a really horrible specimen of a human being who should keep my narrow-minded, prejudiced views to my self?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 7:58 pm

I am also annoyed by slow walkers.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 8:05 pm

It grates on my nerves like nails down a chalkboard *shudder* I feel like people should adopt the driving rules. Slow walkers keep to the right so the rest of us can pass in the fast lane on the left. :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 8:06 pm

Technically, it's possible to be ticketed for driving too slow, just as it is for driving too fast.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2009, 8:27 pm

YES! I hate slow walkers! I even wrote a rant about it on craigslist once.

People on their phone, overweight people insisting on walking in the middle of sidewalk, old people, families with strollers, groups of teenagers (who actually fully STOP to talk sometimes), couples... the list goes on.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 8:47 pm

also really hate slow walkers.
am fed up of going out with two staff and having a naturally slow resident tag along,as the staff rush to be next to am rather than him-so it isnt him they have a go at-it's natural for am to walk fast,always has been being hyper,so why is it,people think those who naturally walk fast are more able to slow down than those who naturally walk slow can speed up? load of crap.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MannyAck

23 Jan 2009, 8:54 pm

Yay for the replies, thanks guys 8) There definitely should be a lane system, and those who choose to disregard it should incur penalties. I propose a 3 lane division: the left for normal, moderate and fast walkers, the middle for solitary slow walkers, and the right for 'walk poolers' :lol: Buyt then we'd have to figure out how we were gonna get across them to get to the shops...

Phr33ky... YES! The ones who actually frickin' STOP to hold conversations! They do my noggin' in! It's bad enough when you encounter these people in the street, even worse when you get them in supermarkets and they stand RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN FRICKIN ISLE :x insensitive morons!! And then they have the audacity to tut at you when you politely ask to get by :x

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm

Interestingly, as it happens H. sapiens actually are a gas. A group of slow walking individuals will invariably expand to fit its container, thereby rendering passage impossible.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:14 pm

I might walk slow at times, but I don't do it if I think it will affect others, often I can go fast at times have awkward moments when I am trying to get around others who are going slowly or stoped, or I go slowly and let everyone pass me.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:20 pm

Slow walkers are terrible!

You know what's worse, though? People who stand and talk right in the middle of the aisle so no one can get by.
ARRGG!! :evil:

-edit- Oh sorry, I see you beat me to it. Sorry :oops:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2009, 11:58 pm

So it's not just me...;) I get this in supermarkets; I tend to counter with a personal space of about 30 feet, and 'critical path' mapping to get around people. Tend to bob and weave a bit around people; especially the '2-wheel park move', where I lift the back wheels and pivot around the velocity-challenged...;)

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 12:04 am

Well, at least we're all in agreement on something.

MannyAck

24 Jan 2009, 4:06 am

pakled wrote:
especially the '2-wheel park move', where I lift the back wheels and pivot around the velocity-challenged...;)

now that, my man, is genius 8) Evil Knieval would be proud. I think you could actually make an extreme sport out of something like that.

and mitharathowen thankyou for the heads up about my spelling :lol: :oops:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 5:16 am

yes, I want to punch them!

it's usually an old fat woman with loads of bags in both hands, rocking from side to side as she walks with the damn bags and taking the whole width of the sidewalk...

or even worse, a group of schoolgirls, who for some unknown reason just *have* to walk next to each other and will *not* part no matter how hard you try to go pass them, and if you finally force yourself through they immediately go back in line... as if you hadn't just showed them that they are a massive obstacle to other pedestrians and should go in single file or in pairs or whatever!

aaargh!

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 5:24 am

I can't stand slow walkers.

It is especially annoying if I am walking at a reasonable pace, and people get annoyed at me for walking too quickly/think I should walk slower. It's not my fault that a snail laden with shopping could walk faster than them.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2009, 7:52 am

Slow walkers are so annoying! Especially when I'm rushing somewhere and I'm trying to get past them but they cover the entire pavement. I really hate it though when some rude, ill-mannered person cuts in front of me and then walk at a snail's pace. Unfortunately I am cursed with the fact that the general public do not know that I exist so they continually barge into me, cut past me so I nearly fall over or when I'm on the bus seem to think it's ok to lean their bags on me. :evil:
I am not invisible! :twisted: