Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ladyinred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2009, 7:59 pm

Do others get this at times? I had it in bed last night, I had to jump out like a shot, just to get some weight on my leg, twas in my calf. Now its still painful :(

SweetEvilCindy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2009, 8:02 pm

Yes, I get cramps in my calves often, at night.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 8:04 pm

Yep. I think I might cause it by curling my toes in my sleep.

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2009, 8:10 pm

I get that too. I think it's like, a delayed cramp or something, if that makes sense. I'll get them at night but only if I was doing lots of activity that day...

ladyinred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2009, 8:14 pm

yeah, and it feels like my leg is giving birth

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 11:21 pm

I get those. They leave me with a stiff leg for the next day and a half.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 12:17 am

ladyinred wrote:
Do others get this at times? I had it in bed last night, I had to jump out like a shot, just to get some weight on my leg, twas in my calf. Now its still painful :(

You may should ask your doctor regarding Quinine - this old timer medicine is still one of most powerful substances in respect of cramps (and one of the most cheapest too).

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2009, 10:38 am

I get those occasionally when I have over stressed my leg (always my right leg, for some reason). I mentioned it to my doctor once, but she kind of ignored me about it - I think it has to be happening on a consistent basis and interrupting your sleep before they take a patient seriously, or maybe it was just that doctor (or the way I was explaining it). Probably when the ex husband was around I should have made him go in and explain what was happening - I woke him up a lot of times screaming in pain and one of the few kindnesses he ever did me was to help get that spasm to stop. Years ago it would be so bad that I would stay in a cramp for days, and couldn't get the muscle to relax at all, actually walking with one leg en pointe - that was when I was quite a bit out of shape, though. Didn't go to the doctor then, but probably I should have. Now I can usually manage to wrestle my leg out of bed and once I walk around its better but the sensation can last a long time - sometimes the muscle stays cramped, I can actually feel an indent in my leg where it has pulled back.

If I sense one coming on, if I can pull my foot back and up so toes are in general pointing towards my head, I can sometimes pull out of the on-coming attack. Or alternatively jump out of bed and walk as soon as I feel it rushing at me and that minimizes the after effects. If I stay supine and try to ride it out, its agonizing and likely to just happen again later in the night. I never let my toes point, because that will bring on a spasm.

Sometimes stretching the calf muscles can help prior to going to bed. Also sometimes there is a dehydration issue or mineral depletion issue - these are best discussed with the doctor, though to make sure that is what is going on. As Dussel mentioned, Quinine is an option, plus there are a few other things too on the market now or other preventatives , depending on what a doctor and you decide on to be the root cause.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:44 am

Do you tiptoe when you walk? Lay on your stomach with your toes pointed when you sleep? Sometimes that calf muscle says...enough flexing.

ladyinred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2009, 10:52 am

thanks, i've tried some of these things already

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:53 am

get it in neck sometimes,dont feel the pain part of it as far as can tell,but it is a very strange experience,leaving am unable to move head or neck at all till the spasm or whatever it is has gone.
mum gets it in her leg,and says its like really severe pain as well,it makes her suddenly scream.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 5:36 pm

I get cramps in my toes, it's painful. :x

SpongeBobRocksMao!