Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2009, 3:49 pm

I chew on my bottom lip all the time. I don't have much feeling in it, so it doesn't hurt or anything. But it's always bleeding and it gets infected (complete with pus!) and stuff and I'd like to stop doing it. Problem is that I don't notice I do it until I feel blood dripping down my chin. How do I stop?

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 4:22 pm

you take an adhd med? I bet it's a stimulant like adderall or something.

If that's at all accurate, tell your doc to put you on something different lest you start getting ulcers in your mouth. Sounds like you're headed down that road.

try chewing on gum or a toothpick or something instead.

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2009, 4:38 pm

I'm not on any andh meds, or meds for anything else. I'll talk to the doctor anyways though, that sounds like a good idea. I have no clue why I'm doing this, it only started around January

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 4:58 pm

I do that too, although not to the point of bleeding. it does make me look kinda ret*d though :P

I guess you could try finding some substitute, but I can't think of any good ones. I never managed to get rid of that habit, let me know if anything works.

Johnklok
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2009, 10:22 pm

You might just be tense or worried about something...maybe just a side-effect of being a person who likes to stay on their toes. Regardless, maybe you just need to find something to do w/your time to preoccupy but stimulate your mind/personality enough to move on from doing such ridiculous things to yourself. Maybe a full-time hobby, that doesn't involve material progression or collectivism? Are you in a relationship? Try to look into that but not so much forming one, just what being/not being involved in another person's life says for you. If you're in school you should be focused enough to never worry about it, because you are aware that you know what it is you're doing, so everything becomes second nature.

All I'm saying is find something to do besides bite your lip!! =D

Johnklok

30 May 2009, 10:25 pm

anna-banana wrote:
I do that too, although not to the point of bleeding. it does make me look kinda ret*d though :P

I guess you could try finding some substitute, but I can't think of any good ones. I never managed to get rid of that habit, let me know if anything works.

People can usually tell there's something on my mind when I bite the loose skin on my lip (from being chapped). I think some of them look too much into though and think I'm up to hiding something, but I only act diff. when I know people are thinking that, lol! If I use chapstick though (even just once a day susally) I don't feel it so it reduces the tendancy itself while being less self-conscious about it.

willa
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 10:46 pm

I chew pens incessantly, and straws. People I work with know to never buy plastic pens because of this. But it helps if at a fast food joint because everyone knows which drink is mine, the one whose straw is chewed.

I hear a lot that it's a nervous habit. But I think it's just habit.

So maybe grab a pen? =P. Better than your lip.

But i relate to doing it in public. I dont bite my lip, but i bite the tip of my tongue when i'm in deep thought and spacing out. And it looks like i'm sticking the tip of my tongue out.

hector451
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2009, 9:25 am

Gum sounds like a good solution

willa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 9:34 am

hector451 wrote:
Gum sounds like a good solution

This would be the most logical thing.

I personally have pretty sensitive taste. And if I chew gum, I have the taste in my mouth for hours after spitting the piece out. So I avoid it a lot because it can ruin lunch or dinner because no matter what I eat hours later it'll have some fruity/minty gum taste =P.

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2009, 5:38 pm

Thanks everyone. I've tried gum and it seems to be working while I'm actually chewing it, but it's also bene giving me tension headaches. *shrug* Lesser of two evils I guess

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2009, 6:02 pm

how about sugar free popsicles? would also be kinda like putting ice on it. :-P

(or, for that matter, chewing on ice.. but you [maybe] know what they say about that..)

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 4:12 am

Hey, i also do that too, been a while though since my belowlipsskin is healed again. I think i stopped doing it at a certaint point.

brontetara
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2009, 6:10 am

willa wrote:
I chew pens incessantly, and straws.

Me too, cannot be stopped. More straws though.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 5:55 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
how about sugar free popsicles? would also be kinda like putting ice on it. :-P

(or, for that matter, chewing on ice.. but you [maybe] know what they say about that..)

Probably the sweeteners.