Is it disgusting to eat a french fry off a restaurant table?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2010, 6:18 pm

Am I the only one amused at thought of an avaricious sea gull
disdaining a chip dropped on a table? :lol:

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 6:19 pm

Never, but I'm a clean freak!
Today I dropped an Advil on the floor for a second and I had to use it because I wasn't really supposed to have Advil at school and it was too much of a risk to get another one. I washed it with water first before I ate it, so it might have been cleaner?

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 6:53 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Avarice wrote:
Hell, even reading the title made a vile bubble of pure foulness rise in my throat.

I refuse to type anymore lest I expire with disgust before I finish my post.

:lol: So you would be unlikely to eat such a French fry then?

To put it mildly...

Quote:
Am I the only one amused at thought of an avaricious sea gull
disdaining a chip dropped on a table? Laughing

No.

EDIT: I just got the Sea Gull reference. I laughed even more...

Last edited by Avarice on 13 Jan 2010, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 7:41 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Technically yes, but acquiring germs like this can actually strengthen your immune system. That's why people who do stuff like this are often less sickly than people who try to create a sterile bubble around themselves.
THIS.

And anyway, come on, they wipe those tables down after almost every customer. And the fry usually doesn't touch the table with very much of its surface. It's not really that gross at all.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 9:21 pm

I will still eat a fry of mine that drops on the floor, it's not that gross. Sometimes it has cat hairs or dust particles stuck to it, but you can just pick them off.

At times, I have wiped up a blob of dropped dip off a grocery store's public floor with my finger, and licked my finger clean. At that time, the gob of vegetable dip was only a few seconds on the floor, so it's not a big deal.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 1:12 am

Omg I hate tables and counter tops. Terrible places. *shudder*

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2010, 3:42 am

The french fry is probably worse for you than the germs on the table. (never mind the meat patty)

If the Fry and table are dry than microbial transfer from table to fry will be minimal if you grab it up fast.

You should not eat the fry if it was already on the table when you arrived, or if someone who is sick was holding it and dropped it first.

You should not eat the fry on the table even if you just dropped it if it landed in lint, hair, mysterious liquids, or otherwise becomes dirty before you can grab it up.

You probably should not eat the fry on the table even if you just dropped it if it is green from sunlight exposure during its growth cycle.

It would be best to sit at a table that is cleaned properly and dry just before you sit there.
If the mcdonalds your going to sit in properly uses spray 9, you could probably eat right off the table if the spray 9 or equivalent biological cleaner/disinfectant was properly used after a sick family had finished eating there, and still get Ecoli from the fecal spill over during high pressure processing. ( its true, many random burgers are FECAL BURGERS, its not to worry its just fecal till its cooked, then its juicy seasoned Burger.)

I love burgers. not so much germs, but we need em to make us strong so lets all go get sick.

I wont eat at mcdonalds to test my table/fry theory though. the last time I ate there I had the worst food poisoning ever. I ate 7 cheeseburgers at once when cheeseburgers were really cheap, and it probably felt about the same as digesting batteries. Haven't risked it again for about six years.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 12:51 pm

wigglyspider wrote:
And anyway, come on, they wipe those tables down after almost every customer. And the fry usually doesn't touch the table with very much of its surface. It's not really that gross at all.

Yeah, they wipe them down alright. They wipe them down with a rag that's been used to wipe every filthy table for days and has been floating in it's own filthy water between wipes.

Anyway, I am not a germaphobe and I often think people freak out too much about such things and I agree with the immune system comments and all that. But restaurant tables is one of the things that does get me :lol:

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 9:54 pm

well i think it's disgusting to eat a french fry, so i'm just biased.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

black220
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2010, 2:04 pm

If you can grab it within 5 seconds of it falling off your tray, it's still good.

masterdieff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2010, 9:31 pm

bigblock wrote:
The french fry is probably worse for you than the germs on the table. (never mind the meat patty)

If the Fry and table are dry than microbial transfer from table to fry will be minimal if you grab it up fast.

Really, people, does anybody even watch Mythbusters? If the food's actual surface area contact with the table is high, it's dirty. That's why it being wet is important- probably the worst thing you could eat after dropping on the table/floor is a slice of bologna. But if it's a french fry, it's fine. Also, the two-second-rule is absolutely untrue. A food (such as a fry) that isn't high risk for attracting germs can sit on a table for minutes and be fine, whereas that slice of bologna will get as germy as it will within the first fraction of a second of complete contact.

Not a Christian, just a thinker.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 11:39 pm

Did you know that french fry means a semen filled condom? Look it up on Urban Dictionary. Now that would be gross.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 5:49 am

LordoftheMonkeys wrote:
Did you know that french fry means a semen filled condom? Look it up on Urban Dictionary. Now that would be gross.

I have been on that site several times. I try to avoid it, it makes innocent sounding words into horrific, depraved, evil sexual acts.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 6:21 am

I put it into context, I have at first looked at the surface for visible dirt, I also often feel the table to check for if it is sticky or something, so I know how dirty a table is before eating on it. If one of my fries happen to fall I wiould get it quickly, and probably not seeing anything wrong eat it,, I put that in my alowance of healthy exposure to germs. I don't trust the ground most of the time in public, but I would at home, though there is almost always a hair (well I am already used to it in some of my mothers cooking that is quite insulting for me to point out.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 6:56 am

Who cares about the table?

There are a lot of restaurants YOU have eaten in where you would throw up if you saw the filthy roach infested greasy kitchen where the food is prepared by sweaty dirty kitchen staff who never wash their hands.

Bon Apatite!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:19 am

Quote:
Is it disgusting to eat a french fry off a restaurant table?

i would never eat anything that fell on a surface that it was not expected to be on.
i have severely finicky idiosyncratic attitudes to food.

i would not eat a french fry that had gone cold. if the french fry is a few minutes old, it will steam itself to sogginess anyway, and if one was luke warn on a table, then it is a waiters problem.