Why I Hate the Chronicles of Narnia

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Vector
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2010, 8:43 am

Edmund's an aspie. It just hit me-- I've always had a problem with the books, but never figure out why until just now. Edmund has Aspergers, and the others hate him for it. Well, Lucy's nice, but could Peter and Susan be more sanctimoniously NT?

No offense to fans of the books. But I always felt like C.S. Lewis hated ME, and I think it's because I read Edmund, who is over-sensitive, quarrelsome, and just out of step with the others as having Aspergers, like me. I think Lewis really intends Edmund as version of himself, but builds the first book around the idea that Edmund could really be just as blandly sunny as the older kids if he chose to.

Maybe that's one of the reasons I object to religion in general: it blames me for having a mind that works differently from the norm. The concept of free-will gets a lot trickier if you have autism. Or maybe it gets clearer-- for me to exercise my will, I cannot behave in ways that always make NT people comfortable or that pretend that everything's nice when it isn't.

Anyway, Peter and Susan, who I will always visualize as Fred and Daphne from Scooby Doo, just became symbols for me of the great crushing drive to smiling NT conformity.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 11:29 am

Hmm, I just thought he was a bit of a dick. Didn't identify with him at all. That's not to say you're necessarily wrong. It's been at least 15 years since I read any C.S. Lewis.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Nov 2010, 12:58 pm

I dont really watch movies but that was a good one, i love when they go into a closet and enter into another world. totally my thing!

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2010, 4:17 pm

I hate the Narnia books. They start off bad and just get worse. The movies are terrible. I never thought of Edmund as having Asperger's. But it doesn't really bother me because I hate the books and movies. I just find the books to be poorly written and the movies just poor over all.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Nov 2010, 4:30 pm

The only thing i didnt like was when christians tried to say that that movie's message is related to jesus christ somehow

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 4:44 pm

richardbenson wrote:
The only thing i didnt like was when christians tried to say that that movie's message is related to jesus christ somehow

Because of Aslan. He is killed, then rises again, much like Christ.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2010, 5:02 pm

In the later Narnia books it blatantly says outright that Aslan is the Narnia Jesus. Except Aslan actually does things in the world of Narnia, while Jesus never shows up in ours. It's all just poorly written rubbish. In my opinion of course.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 7:22 pm

richardbenson wrote:

As people have said, it is - Lewis was/is a noted Christian apologist and both the Narnia books and the Cosmic Trilogy reflect that. His friend Tolkien does it better - LOTR and the Sil. are utterly Christian, but more subtle.

The year is still young.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

14 Nov 2010, 7:36 pm

Oh. i just dont like it when people burn books or hate a movie because they think a story is somehow demonic, satanic or full of witchcraft

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2010, 7:42 pm

I don't recall the movie in much detail, but seemed less about the boy's quirkiness and more about him trading his loved ones for a few pieces of candy.

Last edited by Maranatha on 14 Nov 2010, 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 7:44 pm

Maranatha wrote:
I don't recall the movie in much detail, but seemed less about the boy and more about him trading his loved ones for a few pieces of candy.

Well, Turkish Delight is something really delicious. Hell, I'd sell my soul for some.