If you had a time machine, where would you go?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

06 Dec 2010, 4:58 pm

Nambo wrote:
nick007 wrote:
If I'm going to be strictly an observer in the past; I'd like to go back to the time of Jesus & record what happens so I could end the religious debates

And what good do you think that would do?
Matthew Mark Luke and John recorded what happened and has that ended any religious debates?

Stories change over time as well as the language. There were also lots of metaphors as well. If there was documented video evidence of the whole thing that would clear lots of things up

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 5:15 pm

1969 to meet someone I wish I had.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 7:52 pm

I would love to witness the beginnings of controlled and powered flight in the early 1900's. On the other hand, the one thing that bugs me about having to die is that I'll miss out on all the cool stuff that will be discovered. It would really be neat to see what can be discovered in particle physics in the next few hundred years.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:15 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
That could work.

My idea was more centered around a scene where I enter the bar he was in, and say "Come with me if you want to live." 8)

...I don't think he'd get the reference :cry:

gee, clueless me doesn't get the reference either. maybe i should cry instead of you.
anyways, i was under the impression that it was at a motel where cooke met his fate- he was robbed by a prostitute, who took his money and his clothes and fled from the motel room, and cooke grabbed his over coat and ran out into the parking lot and into the manager's office, and all the manager saw was this raving black man naked under an overcoat, so she shot him.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 10:16 pm

jagatai wrote:
I would love to witness the beginnings of controlled and powered flight in the early 1900's. On the other hand, the one thing that bugs me about having to die is that I'll miss out on all the cool stuff that will be discovered. It would really be neat to see what can be discovered in particle physics in the next few hundred years.

where we all go, there will be all the knowledge you could ever want.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 12:57 am

To a time that agrees with me.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2010, 3:10 am

back in time?

that would be the late 70's to the early 80's, get me some records and early game consoles (atari 2600 anyone?) in mint condition, come back to today and make a fortune :D
also i'd like to go back to before the fire at the BBC and save a bunch of the lost Dr. Who episodes....

forwards in time... the first stop would be 2012-2013 to get Diablo 3 for cheap, then 2015 ofc. to get a hoverboard... then i'd probably go on to the 2200's or 2300's to see the advances in space travel... and maybe stay :)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 6:47 am

Quote:
If you had a time machine, where would you go?

i would go back to 10:58 am yesterday and make sure i was in the kitchen when the timer went off to signal that my boiled eggs were finished cooking.
they boiled for about 7 minutes (instead if 3:15) when i remembered with alarm that they were overdue to be removed from the stove, and when i went to dip my toast fingers into the egg yolks, the toast fingers were squashed like an accordion as they collided with the unyielding hardened yolks.

i am still seething about that incident.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 7:01 am

I'd go far far away in the future.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 11:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
gee, clueless me doesn't get the reference either.

It's from the Terminator series.

auntblabby wrote:
anyways, i was under the impression that it was at a motel where cooke met his fate- he was robbed by a prostitute...

Yeah, that's about what happened...though different sources argue. IIRC, it was at a bar or club or whatever where he met this woman before going with her to said motel. I sort of figured I'd just show up there and go "Hey, don't go with this woman. You will die." but I like your idea better. I'd just have to figure out how to break into there without getting shot myself :x

Foxx wrote:
that would be the late 70's to the early 80's, get me some records and early game consoles (atari 2600 anyone?) in mint condition, come back to today and make a fortune :D

I don't know about a fortune...the market for those kinds of things is very fickle. A boxed and sealed 2600 might net you a bit of cash, but I'd have to check the market (I haven't in forever)...there's a possibility you might lose some money there.

I've heard Beatles records are worth a lot, though.

Or you could just do the old trick where you put some money into a bank account and the interest builds up over the years until you're filthy rich.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Dec 2010, 11:34 am

1947 or so... The happiest and most prosperous time for the USA, a couple years after WWII. The birth of television (although it was actually available for a short time from 1938-41 and stopped dead due to war effort), the beginning of the high-tech revolution, and the extension of civil rights to all people, and many other great advancements.

Charles

mimsy123
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Dec 2010, 12:21 am

Past: If I thought it were physically possible, I'd go see what was going on just before the big bang.

Future: I'd have to work out what year I thought recreational space travel would be readily available :-)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

I would go to 7:30 PM, Sunday, September 22, 1968 in Pike County, Ohio. There is an event I would like to try to stop from happening.

But---paradoxes could occur.

So---to just witness the event I would then choose to watch the event unfold instead from the vantage point of its endpoint on a lonely two lane road in northern Pike County near the Ross County line at around 9:15-9:30 PM on the same date. I want to see what really happened.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 5:59 pm

I would travel to the end of reality itself. The end of time and space.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

I would travel just a few hours into the past to when I took my shower. That was a good shower. *reminisces*

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 10:40 pm

1965 but before Dave and Mick got into a massive brawl on stage in Cardiff.