Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 6:11 pm

True, but I talked extensively about human languages, and nothing about programming languages, so I kind of implied human languages. :P

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 7:13 pm

dunbots wrote:
True, but I talked extensively about human languages, and nothing about programming languages, so I kind of implied human languages. :P

I am very literal and don't understand implied meanings. :-)

I'm learning Java and Ruby right now. I already know a bunch of other programming languages. :twisted:

As far as human languages are concerned, I'm pretty bad at languages. I'm fine at grammar, but vocabulary, irregular verbs, and gender are problems for me. I know some French, and I try to review it once in a while. I know a few phrases in Japanese, and I would like to know more. I studied a little Hawaiian once, and I would like to learn more sometime.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 8:01 pm

english, very slowly..

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 1:32 am

Espanol, por eso las personas a mi trabaja quien no hablan, o no quieren hablan, ingles.

Francais, parce-que je veux aller Haiti. Peut-etre...

ASL, because it comes more naturally than spoken languages.

Basic, because infinite loops are endlessly amusing.

Whenever the day is done."

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2011, 7:08 am

English, it's important language today. I understand it really good, I can write good too, but I'm not good speaker. I speak rarely even in Polish, so I think it's just question of practice. If I had someone to talk with, my spoken English would be better.

German, of course. My ancestors spoke it native, so I think I SHOULD speak too, obligatory. Like English, I understand much better than I speak.

Esperanto, just for fun.

Russian, because it's interesting language and quite easy to understand if I'm native Slavic speaker. I learned alphabet, when I was 10 y.o. and I was sick. My tissue box had Russian text on it, I was bored, so I decided to break a code.

Klingon, I would like to learn. I used to speak with this harsh accent when I was younger. Now I sound softer, but I still can pronounce those sounds. This language should be easy to me. And, ofc, I like movies.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Libelula85
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2011, 7:15 am

French.

lardycake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2011, 9:51 am

I used to teach myself Japanese but I sort of stopped, I am still interested but it is hard to stay motivated without being around other people learning it that you can talk to or practice with.

Spuggey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2011, 6:03 pm

I only speak English, but studied linguistics at university. I'm currently going to coleege one day a week to learn Italian, which is shameful because... Half my family's from there...

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:06 pm

I know German and English, but I'm picking up Japanese from a combination of media, my Japanese friend, and Rosetta Stone.
No, I am not an imbecilic weeaboo, nor an otaku (both semi-disgraceful in their own separate ways); in fact, only anime/manga I like = Doraemon.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:15 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
weeaboo

I shall add that to my list of "words I'm aware of but want not to wit." It has a dubious sound. :lol:

The year is still young.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:18 pm

Spanish and American Sign Language. I know a little of both. I took a year of Latin in High School. That was fun, but I don't want to take on too much at once.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:28 pm

Of the languages I have learned would be English, Spanish, Latin. I've learned some of the Hebrew alephbeit and grammar, but only enough so far to assist me in point by point translation of passages from the Tanakh. I've studied less Greek than that. Previously I've tried to learn Gaelic and Russian, but I've never really been able to maintain interest in those languages long enough to learn more than the mere rudiments of grammar. At some point I'm going to try learning some French and improve my Latin and Hebrew.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:46 pm

[img][800:300]http://knowyourmeme.com/i/29097/original/PBF071-Weeaboo.gif[/img]

Weaboo is a funny-sounding word. :lol:

JMNixon: I used to speak German well, aber ich sprech es nicht mehr. :( Ich kann es noch sehr gut verstehen, aber ich habe viele Wörte vergessen. Kannst du Deutsch fließend?

I envy everyone that's learned (some) ASL, I've wanted to for awhile, but if I did learn some I'd have no one to practice with in person. Ego quoque linguam latīnam discō, et eam amō. 8)

Parakeet: Tha gràdh agam air an Gàidhlig. :D I might start learning it soon, either that or Faeroese.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 6:52 pm

I would really love to learn French, Polish, Welsh and Spanish. But I don't know if I ever will.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 7:02 pm

Cześć! I love the sound and orthography of Polish. 8) I've considered learning it several times, but I'm not interested in it enough to warrant becoming fluent in it, and its irregularities are pretty daunting. 8O Welsh is cool, but I like Cornish and Breton more, especially Cornish. I used to be intermediate in Cornish, but I stopped learning it a year ago about, but I still remember quite a bit. I still want to learn it someday, but right now. Cornish and Breton are closer to each other than either to Welsh though, in lexicon.

Last edited by dunbots on 22 Feb 2011, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 10:57 pm

dunbots wrote:
Cześć! I love the sound and orthography of Polish. 8) I've considered learning it several times, but I'm not interested in it enough to warrant becoming fluent in it, and it's irregularities are pretty daunting. 8O Welsh is cool, but I like Cornish and Breton more, especially Cornish. I used to be intermediate in Cornish, but I stopped learning it a year ago about, but I still remember quite a bit. I still want to learn it someday, but right now. Cornish and Breton are closer to each other than either to Welsh though, in lexicon.

:o Not many people want to learn Polish.

I'm half-Polish 8)