The Greatest Series Ever To Exist In the History of Forever

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CeallachSolomon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2006, 6:40 pm

That's right, and I'm here to talk about it. As I've said before, I'm in the process of making the universe's greatest series of games, books, movies, comics, cartoons, theme parks, and T-Shirts. The series is set in a vast universe, not too unlike our own.

So, what do you all think should be in it? The reason I put this topic here was so that people could say anything, without feeling restricted to "rules" or some such nonsense, so don't complain to me about this being in the wrong section. I did it on purpose.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 6:42 pm

There should be vampires.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 6:59 pm

There should be an epic plot, involving battles on a major proportion, small details altering the course of fate, and lots of romance. The characters should have well-developed personalities, complex interactions with other characters, and intense, complex backstories.
And don't be afraid to kill off characters. Lots of them should die in the course of building up to a strange and darkly fantastical ending.
On a superficial level, of course, there should also be swordfights, smoking, drinking, swearing, and sex.
All should be described graphically. There should also be some kind of supernatural beings (preferably more than one kind- and it would be pretty cool if you included an unexplained race of Gods and/or ancient beings. Or perhaps some kind of physically odd creature that's supposed to be the next stage of human evolution.)
In addition, I think you should make a lot of very subtle cultural and historical references that will make readers smile when they pick up on them. (Such as making the vicious warlord who the characters talk to in one scene physically resemble the lead singer of your favorite band, that sort of thing.)
Oh, yes, and you'll have to think up a plot. A good one. Not a linear one, but a complex one that you can get really lost in. With political and religious philosophy mixed in so as to appeal to the intelligent crowd as well as everyone else.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 7:02 pm

Yupa wrote:
unexplained race of Gods and/or ancient beings.

Vampires.

Yupa wrote:
some kind of physically odd creature that's supposed to be the next stage of human evolution.

Vampires.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 7:19 pm

Something like Doctor Who. :D

CeallachSolomon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2006, 7:52 pm

Yupa wrote:
There should be an epic plot, involving battles on a major proportion, small details altering the course of fate, and lots of romance. The characters should have well-developed personalities, complex interactions with other characters, and intense, complex backstories.
And don't be afraid to kill off characters. Lots of them should die in the course of building up to a strange and darkly fantastical ending.
On a superficial level, of course, there should also be swordfights, smoking, drinking, swearing, and sex.
All should be described graphically. There should also be some kind of supernatural beings (preferably more than one kind- and it would be pretty cool if you included an unexplained race of Gods and/or ancient beings. Or perhaps some kind of physically odd creature that's supposed to be the next stage of human evolution.)
In addition, I think you should make a lot of very subtle cultural and historical references that will make readers smile when they pick up on them. (Such as making the vicious warlord who the characters talk to in one scene physically resemble the lead singer of your favorite band, that sort of thing.)
Oh, yes, and you'll have to think up a plot. A good one. Not a linear one, but a complex one that you can get really lost in. With political and religious philosophy mixed in so as to appeal to the intelligent crowd as well as everyone else.

Interestingly enough, the first game has a good deal of that. And I intend to make each story unique in its own way, without repeating too much (in terms of historical references and cameos). Oh, and while there were a few things you said that I hadn't thought of, there was one big thing that you didn't mention: multiple endings. Gotta love playing through a game 6 times just to see how it all turns out. Oh, and decision-based relationship choices. It's loads of fun to make the main heroine end up with the hero's brother, ya know?

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
There should be vampires.

Yup, got those, too. Though, they're a little different from the traditional vamps, you should still like them.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 8:11 pm

s'gotta have zombies.
And ninjas.
Oh, and pirates, almost forgot that.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2006, 8:41 pm

Be daring and combine traditional sci-fi and fantasy. Lots of unused ideas there. Perhaps the industrial revolution in a magic heavy world or a few hundred years in the future. Perhaps a satire of history could be done in such a fashion?

Jerm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2006, 10:43 pm

Flagg wrote:
Be daring and combine traditional sci-fi and fantasy. Lots of unused ideas there. Perhaps the industrial revolution in a magic heavy world or a few hundred years in the future. Perhaps a satire of history could be done in such a fashion?

"Wizards"
an animated movie by Ralph Bakshi

Jerm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2006, 10:48 pm

Have the main character fail to achieve his magnificent quest and die about 1/3 of the way through. Then use nothing but supporting characters, and don't focus on the dead hero too much. He/She should be about forgotton by the end.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 12:18 am

It must have very adorable fuzzy critters as side kicks...with a little "slimmer ,from ghost busters" charming personality.Big eyes and fluffy fur....thats my vote.Females should also be able to problem solve and kick butt...nothing this ...hiding behind a guy crap...maybe an Amazon civilization tribe...I also love political satire hidden under storey plot.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 9:38 am

It has to have Routemasters ! !!

(Hmmm, come to think about it, that term could cover a lot of territory!)

CeallachSolomon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2006, 11:37 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
It has to have Routemasters ! !!

What, the bus? Maybe later...

krex wrote:
It must have very adorable fuzzy critters as side kicks...

Already got 'em. And unlike most series, in which the cute animals are just comic relief or space fillers, mine are unique and useful in their own ways. And they can become awesome warriors.

krex wrote:
Females should also be able to problem solve and kick butt...

Well, they can't ALL be like that. It's important to create balance and have a full spectrum of character personalities, rather than overloading on one type or another.

Jerm wrote:
Have the main character fail to achieve his magnificent quest and die about 1/3 of the way through. Then use nothing but supporting characters, and don't focus on the dead hero too much. He/She should be about forgotton by the end.

Like I said, balance. Remember that there will be more than one storyline, and that they will take place on a variety of different worlds. Some stories might be like that, while others will follow a more traditional style (i.e. the hero actually wins).

diseased wrote:
s'gotta have zombies.
And ninjas.
Oh, and pirates, almost forgot that.

Zombies? Desert full of 'em. Ninjas? Warring clans, and they're demons to boot. Pirates? Bandits plague the trade routes, Pirates rule the seas, and eventually, Air Pirates will take the skies. I think that about covers that.

Thanks to all of you for your input! It means a lot that you've decided to share your thoughts on this. It's a big help when others contribute to the effort.

Shwoo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2006, 5:59 pm

Hmm... How masked wrestlers dressed as clowns, or clowns dressed as masked wrestlers. That's combine the two scariest things in the world into one uberscary... thing. I realise I used uber incorrectly.

And um... Snakes on a plane?

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 6:02 pm

Garlic.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 6:10 pm

Three things are necessary for awesomeness, grasshopper:

1) Ninjas.