Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 10:03 am

I think that this community is about democracy. If somebody has a more serious opinion about matters like these, they should be able to express it. And why are you picking on just my friend, when we both have the same nasty opinions about bumper stickers? I think that we've forgotten what brings us together, in the first place. Asperger's Symdrome. :)

candid89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2007, 10:27 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that this community is about democracy. If somebody has a more serious opinion about matters like these, they should be able to express it. And why are you picking on just my friend, when we both have the same nasty opinions about bumper stickers? I think that we've forgotten what brings us together, in the first place. Asperger's Symdrome. :)

Ok. I'm not picking on you. I'm not picking on your friend. I'm just asking a simple question about funny things. It's gone too far. I know why I'm here. I'm new, and I'm just learning about Asperger's and that there are other people like me (or so I thought, after your comments).

I've been online for a while tonight, and I've noticed that you responded to a funny joke about Asperger's. The lightbulb one? :idea: But yet you don't understand why I would want to find some funny quotes from people?

You, being a moderator, seem to be taking sides. This kind of reaction to what I THOUGHT was an interesting idea, makes people like me (new aspies) not really want to "discuss" anything on the WrongPlanet, OR even look at the forums anymore. You didn't understand my initial post, and my second post, so I've re-visited it a third time. Still, you think that I'm attacking your friend, when all I did was quote him/her...which is what EVERYONE seems to do here.

I was, in fact, sticking up for the person that your friend (and you backed them up) called "daft" (which in the U.S. means "stupid"), and then a "dickhead". Those seem to go against the rules of posting. :!:

I don't know what else to say, except that you have frustrated me to the point that I'm a little put-off on finding out anything else about Asperger's syndrome. I thought that I was just different before, and that it was harder for me to make friends. You've proved me correct.

Thank You.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 10:36 am

Strange in that most of the posters from Britain backed me while many of the contributors on the other side of the Atlantic backed you. Is this a cultural thing? Thinking up slogans is fair enough. I have actually T-shirts with designs on before - nothing offensive but I find that it makes social interaction more awkward than need be the case, particularly in any situation where alcohol is involved. We already have difficulties so advertising them is not generally a good idea. I still maintain that it would be seen as an odd thing to do over here. You're more than welcome to wear your T-shirts. I believe in total freedom of speech as long as you are willing to weather the consequences and differing reactions from people.

Is that alright?

candid89

14 Jan 2007, 10:46 am

Tequila wrote:
Strange in that most of the posters from Britain backed me while many of the contributors on the other side of the Atlantic backed you. Is this a cultural thing? Thinking up slogans is fair enough. I have actually T-shirts with designs on before - nothing offensive but I find that it makes social interaction more awkward than need be the case, particularly in any situation where alcohol is involved. We already have difficulties so advertising them is not seen as a good idea. We on this side of the pond do not generally approve of silly T-shirts so that might explain why I did it. I still maintain that it would be seen as an odd thing to do over here. You're more than welcome to wear your T-shirts. I believe in total freedom of speech as long as you are willing to weather the consequences and differing reactions from people.

Is that alright?

Yes, thank you for responding in a way that makes me know that you READ my explanations.

I realise that everywhere it's different (when it comes to putting yourself out there). I've been to the UK before, and there ARE funny sayings and things (I don't remember what you call it, but it's connecting a few different terms together and making a new word?)...that people in the U.S. would have a heck of a time trying to understand. Over in the UK, people probably don't even think twice about it.

Bumper stickers, goofy t-shirts, buttons, etc. are just a way of putting something clever out there. The word "Asperger's" never needs to be used, but I'm sure there's funny things that only we can relate to.

Seriously, the binary joke is pretty funny, and I don't even know all that much about computers! It's about ten messages back on this post.

Thanks again, Tequila...I wasn't trying to be anything than my-odd-sense-of-humor-self. :wink:

Jen

p.s. I think the (myspace) website is http://www.myspace.com/therealbustedtees . There's some pretty funny t-shirts on there!

Last edited by candid89 on 14 Jan 2007, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 10:49 am

candid89 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Yes, thank you for responding in a way that makes me know that you READ my explanations.

I did read and take note. They were interesting. I just had a spat with someone else - wasn't trying to get at you. :)

Quote:
Thanks again, Tequila...I wasn't trying to be anything than my-odd-sense-of-humor-self. :wink:

No problem. I'll go back to eating my babies if that's alright with you? ;)

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 11:18 am

I stand out because of my love of cats and other animals. If anything, let them know me as "the crazy cat lady." I have worked hard to be known for postive attributes. I would not want to jeopardize the progress I have made by advertising any kind of disability. For me, it is not so much about shame as it is about hindering my progress.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 1:08 pm

9CatMom wrote:
I would not want to jeopardize the progress I have made by advertising any kind of disability. For me, it is not so much about shame as it is about hindering my progress.

That's how I feel. The added social problems that would pose are the main argument against it for me.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 1:17 pm

Tequila wrote:
Is this a cultural thing?

I think so. In this country we have a pride thing, like Gay Pride. Why not Aspie Pride? I think here, instead of causing more problems, it helps promote a culture. However, I live in a very progressive community.

- Emerson

presto

14 Jan 2007, 3:50 pm

the only 2 bumper stickers ive ever put on my car, or will, are

single'n sassy

and

i brake for fat chics
cause they buy me lunch

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 4:10 pm

If you can read this I can deploy your airbags.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 6:32 pm

I'd go for something more subtle than a t-shirt.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 1:32 pm

I love the "aspies unite....oh right, like we're gonna hold hands"

Here are some other great quotes.

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/autism/-/c ... hBox/copt_

Some of my favorite are:

"Autism: the thinking mans disorder" (under a picture of Einstein)

"what, is my Aspergers showing?" (with a person holding up their hands like, you got a problem buddy?)

"It's OK, I think you're weird too"

"Cure Neurotypicals now! Offended? Good, now you know how we feel"

"This is a cat. Not a defective dog. It's very happy being a cat. Autism: its a difference, not a disease".

I don't like the ones that say things like, "proud parent of a son with autism" or, "I love my autistic brother and he loves me". To me it is condescending because its like saying, hey look at my brother, he's AUTISTIC, but I love him anyway because I'm such a great person. Or "I teach someone with autism". Good job, you are so unique and special, and you must know all about it, here's a cookie. I say, let those with it talk about it and be proud of who they are if they so wish, not other people advertising it, as if they have something to do with it. I know many people have good intentions, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

It's kind of like when my brother used to compare my AS to his dyslexia. He realized it wasn't a fair analogy in any way, so he stopped, but that really bugged me when he did. It's like, "oh, I know exactly what you're talking about, let me tell you about my problem" (or tell you about the Autistic person I met once). You really have no idea, do you.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 11:33 pm

I have a bumper sticker on the back of my work van that I got from Cafepress. It just says "High Functioning" in OCR type letters, and has 3 colored puzzle pieces on it. Dunno how many people understand it, but I guess if another aspie / autie saw it, they might.

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/high+funct ... pt_/c_360/

presto

16 Jan 2007, 10:18 am

how bout my mom did too many drugs and all i got was this stigma

ZING b*****s