Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

raykusray wrote:
So, does anyone here like to garden? I'm going to start working on my vegetable garden when it's less chilly out. If you do like to garden, what is your favorite plant/herb/flower/vegetable/fruit?

I'll start. Carrots! Simple and easy to grow.

Unfortunately it's one of my biggest hobbies. This year I'm planting a wide variety of hardy flowers: Russell lupine flowers, zinnias, lilacs, Bachelor Button Polka dots, Gloriosia Daisy, Cosmos Sensation, sunflowers, black eyed susans, chinese forget me nots and more wild african grass (which aren't exactly flowers). Hopefully some of the stuff I planted is already coming up.

As for herbs: mint, chives, basil, marijuana (I wish!), rosemary, and dill. I'm already starting as we speak. Yep it'll be wicked and nothing my neighbors can do about it. 8)

Last edited by MissConstrue on 10 Mar 2012, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

identity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

Oh I don't think I've heard of them, I meant the ones that you plant in a hanging basket that are meant to cascade down.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 3:24 pm

I don't use the fish or the soap in mine, just the vegetables and the oil, it works just fine still.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

I like gardening I have some roses, camelia bushes,Azaleas, rhododendrums I have some seedlings in pots, now the weather is cooling down I'll be able to get some more plants.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 6:17 pm

I love gardening!

I moved house last April and have a large, flat garden which is mostly grass with an ugly wall round it. It is south-facing, but until I had them chopped down in the autumn there were 4 huge conifers which blocked the light for most of the day. It's very exposed and windy here, so more delicate plants just get burned with the wind. :cry:

When I moved here last April I brought some plants from my previous garden and created a border for them and some others I added. I like perennials, so I've planted astilbes, lady's mantle, fox gloves, blue bonnets and some long stemmed persicarias. I also put in a dark flowered butterfly bush and a mallow. Oh, yes, and some astrantia.

Church plant sales in early summer are a good, cheap source of new plants, and my mother brings me plants from her garden and I've been acquiring plants and moving them with me from garden to garden for about 10 years now.

Last week, I dug a border round one of the tallish stumps left from the co overs, and planted some astilbes that I was given, and some evergreen hedging and an evergreen. Early flowering clematis to grow up and round the stump, if the wind doesn't blow it away. Oh, and also some climbing hydrangeas which my mother gave me to hide the horrible wall! :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 6:34 pm

I enjoy gardening, but I don't have the space to do it.

raykusray
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2012, 7:06 am

CockneyRebel-Thats what containers and indoor dwarf varieties are for.There's a whole spectra of plants, orchids, and flowers that can be grown indoors in very little space. Not every enthusiast has a large garden plot :D You just have to like gardens.

Last edited by raykusray on 12 Mar 2012, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raykusray

11 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

Yay! I left a baby carrot plant buried over winter, and its sending up leaves this spring! In celebration, I replanted the pot with leftover Scarlet Nantes seed I had. Noms.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2012, 10:47 pm

I wish I could, but I'm in school in an apartment... :/

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:29 am

Get one of those vertical wall gardens if you have no space.

I've enjoyed thinking about and shopping about for ideas about what to do with both my gardens. The front one is....sort of done but I'm starting to regret the plant choices, plus there's a spot against the wall which is too shady and gets no rain, so I haven't planted anything in that spot. I planted too many ground cover types of plants and they're spilling over the garden edging already.

My back garden is yet to be attacked. The pebbles which are there kinda run real deep into the dirt so it's gonna take a while to dig them all out, clean them up and re-use. An overgrown Geranium is there at the moment which I'm gonna pull out. There's also a large Aloe Vera and two Dracaena Marginatas which I'm thinking of leaving there.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 3:56 am

I don't have a real garden, but a large roof terrace on top of the two garages of my downstairs neighbors. I'm trying to turn it into a roof garden with potted trees:

Some black sunflowers that I grew last year:

I also bought some large plant basins to grow cat grass and kitchen herbs. Alas, my Scottish Fold uses them as a litterbox, so I consider the kitchen herbs project a failure:

This is my favorite spot on my roof garden: A rusty and broken outdoor lamp. My landlord offered to have it removed when I moved in, but I asked him to leave it as it was. I let it overgrow with ivy and morning glory, which gives it a postapocalyptic "nature reclaims its territory" look:

I also grow lots of indoor plants, mostly bamboo, spider plants, cyperus, lemon grass and cat grass. Everything that is edible and non-poisonous for cats. The cyperus is especially popular with my two bonsai tigers, and it's very easy to clone (cut off a stem, place it upside down in a glass of water, and within a few weeks it starts to grow roots). And spider plants naturally clone themselves. You only need to buy a single plant to green up all your window sills.

raykusray

13 Mar 2012, 7:34 am

DAAAAAW! I just saw your Scottish fold kitty hiding by one of the trees, in an "about to pounce" pose in the tree pic. So cute :D
The rooftop garden looks great. The good thing about them is that you are just about guaranteed full sun. The black sunflowers are beatiful. And the plant trays look healthy, although use as a kitty litterbox will compromise that XD.
Aww, the cats are cute.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 8:02 am

Awesome plants CrazyCatLord. Love the one growing over the broken light great idea. I also love how you touched up the garden with cute cat-like decorations. They really give it a wild yet domestic look to it.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 10:59 am

Thanks :) The cats love the roof garden even more than I do. They spend all day out there during the summer, watching the birds outside. I have a bit of a bad conscience that I don't allow them to roam free and hunt outside, but I wouldn't want to deworm them several times a year. Or sit around worrying that they might get under a car, or into a fight with one of the neighbor cats. I'd like to think that bird watching is like watching TV for them, and they aren't really missing out on anything :)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I enjoy gardening, but I don't have the space to do it.

In reply: raykusray wrote:
CockneyRebel-Thats what containers and indoor dwarf varieties are for.There's a whole spectra of plants, orchids, and flowers that can be grown indoors in very little space. Not every enthusiast has a large garden plot :D You just have to like gardens.

There is also the possibility of joining a community garden. I understand Vancouver BC has quite a few of those.
I am a member of my local United Way's community garden and this year I plan on developing four 4'x8' plots.
These are photos of gardens I had last year and the year before.

ImageImage
Some of my produce:
ImageImageImage

Just click the pics to enlarge.

Awesome container plantings CrazyCatLord. I might be doing a few containers this year as well.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm

gardening is something i would really love to like - but i hate it. i despise it. i love gardens and nature though, but detest gardening.