Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2007, 5:03 am

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 6:42 am

why? got something to hide?

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2007, 7:38 am

do you KNOW what some of that s**t would do to the internet on the whole?

the 150,000 fine for "allowing a transaction to take place" no matter what transaction could destroy smaller ISP's

and what'll happen is smaller ISP's who can't afford to keep these records, and\or police these transactions <which btw TOTALLY can't be policed on the level that this bill is asking for> will sink, leaving only big telecom with feet in the pool of ISPness, thus we have VERY little competition in an industry where almost none already exists

I have a problem with that, it's not the purpose of the bill you should look at

it's the devious and pro "people who paid for my campaign" mechanism, this is WRONG

big picture folks, this won't stop pedophiles, it will make your internet cost more

qbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2007, 7:40 am

8O Don't you understand the full impact of this? A person's browsing history reveals their thoughts, much stronger than anything else. To have the government watching over what every one thinks(and criminalize them for it), well, you get 1984.

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2007, 7:59 am

alright, who here is going to start coding an RSA implementing browser?

something AT LEAST 512 bit

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 12:27 pm

How the fück do they plan on implimenting that? You would pretty much have to modify email client and IM client to carbon copy all messages to the authorities, and guess what? It's pretty much trivial NOT to use such a client.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 1:46 pm

No-one wants their PRIVATE messages to be constantly watched and taxed. A tax on email/IM would be crazy.

asperion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 3:39 pm

Repukians should all be lined up with their backs to ditches, their clothing folded up neatly on the ground by their feet, and shot; before it's too late.

greyh3lium
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2007, 3:42 pm

sorry but tehre are simply too many emails and communcications, countless thousands of words per day per PERSON for more than 1% to be monitored at all, much less to be reviewed in detail

Hoorahville
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2007, 3:57 pm

asperion wrote:
Repukians should all be lined up with their backs to ditches, their clothing folded up neatly on the ground by their feet, and shot; before it's too late.

To put this lightly, you would be the problem with the United States.

Might I suggest moving to North Korea? Might be more your style.

asperion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 4:03 pm

Hoorahville wrote:
asperion wrote:

To put this lightly, you would be the problem with the United States.

Might I suggest moving to North Korea? Might be more your style.

It's just a happy little fantasy of mine; I wouldn't really want to deal with them that way.

Can't live with 'em, can't blow their tiny brains out.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 4:07 pm

ahayes wrote:
How the fück do they plan on implimenting that? You would pretty much have to modify email client and IM client to carbon copy all messages to the authorities, and guess what? It's pretty much trivial NOT to use such a client.

Why are you using an umlaut to swear?

It's against the rules to anyways!

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 6:15 pm

asperion wrote:

screw you, jerk

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2007, 6:31 pm

the problem is, either this bill is testing the water for the REAL bill, and they're using someone throwaway to put it forward <i.e. someone with no higher aspirations in a VERY safe district> and the real one sounds a lot more plausible, comes from a totally different direction, and accomplishes the same endgame larger goal <which has nothing to do with watching us, that'ss just a beneficial side effect>

politics aren't anywhere approaching straight forward, spend a few hours watching c-span, this is machiavellian b.s. right here