Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Gracey72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2016, 11:37 am

I was reading noughts and cross and was wondering. If Toby (white) and Calli-Rose (half black, half white) had children what race would they be.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 11:39 am

Human?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

Yep.....definitely human!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

That the baby would be human is obvious.......annoys me when people are willfully dense. Anyways, aside from that I imagine it would be mostly white ethnicity with black ethnicity, of course they could look more black or more white since their appearance doesn't necessarily have to do with which ethnicity you technically have more of.

My mom is all white, and my dad's dad is white and his mom is native american so he white and native american. So that would make me and my siblings all white and native american as well.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 1:53 pm

I googled the book and I don't think they are human after all, but the allegory is there.

Anyway, point taken.

My ancestry is Celtic and British, but who knows. My family is a little wobbly on both sides.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 1:59 pm

White is a race.

That aside, i don't think the answers were intentionally obstinate. The op asked what race the child would be. There is no title for 3/4 white 1/4 black. They're just..human. If the question is what they'd look like, odds are in favor of the child being mildly darker than most white kids, but much lighter than most black.

Last edited by 100000fireflies on 03 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 2:05 pm

100000fireflies wrote:
White is a race.

For about a couple of hundred years more. With global transportation and communication such distinctions become more and more meaningless.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

androbot01 wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
White is a race.

For about a couple of hundred years more. With global transportation and communication such distinctions become more and more meaningless.

Regardless of how meaningless or not it is there are still various ethnicities.....and chances are that will continue for longer than a couple of hundred years. But yeah if anything all the ethnicities are just more spread out, like you have places associated with particular ethnicity but those don't apply so much they aren't sticking to their areas of origin basically...doesn't mean different ethnicities would disappear just that they aren't defined by geography anymore...also the number of mixed race people is certainly likely to increase.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 2:21 pm

If a person is of mixed racial heritage, it's that person's choice as to what "race" he/she is.

I get irritated when, say, a white kid raised by black foster/adoptive parents all of a sudden decide that they MUST search for his/her white parents, and disavow the fact that he/she was raised by people who happened to have been black. Then, because he/she is of white heritage, the black parents have to make a special effort to teach the kid about his "white" heritage.

So what if he's of "white" heritage! That's irrelevant in this case.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 3:00 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
100000fireflies wrote:
White is a race.

Regardless of how meaningless or not it is there are still various ethnicities.....and chances are that will continue for longer than a couple of hundred years. But yeah if anything all the ethnicities are just more spread out, like you have places associated with particular ethnicity but those don't apply so much they aren't sticking to their areas of origin basically...doesn't mean different ethnicities would disappear just that they aren't defined by geography anymore...also the number of mixed race people is certainly likely to increase.

I think that in order to preserve a certain distinction between black, white, asian, indigenous, etc., there would have to be an effort made. The way people are integrating all over the world, it's unavoidable. I think the distinctive features of the various groups will become quickly less prominent. I agree that heritage and geography will still be important, but for different reasons.