Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RonaldD793
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2016, 4:48 am

Have any of you recently had a stroke before? If yes tell me about how you are coping, or trying to cope with it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 7:27 am

I had a (L) parietal hematoma in New Years' 2011. It was 1.9cm in length. I was weak on my entire right side and my right foot felt like it was 10 pounds heavier. I'd waited a day before checking into the hospital. My blood pressure was something ridiculous like 244/189. I had a CT scan, MRI, etc. The surgeon had initially said he was going to go in and close the aneurysm, but since it started healing on its own, he didn't see the need to be so invasive.

He asked me a few times if I was doing street drugs. I lied and said no all the time. I was doing street drugs but I didn't want to admit it because I was working as a nurse at the time and that kind of admission could get me fired.

Eventually, I regained my right-sided strength. The only residual I have from the stroke is a slight right-sided lean and my handwriting blows chunks. I mean, it wasn't great to begin with, now it just looks worse.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:12 am

i have always been worried about suffering a stroke since i read a news story in the paper about a well known sydney identity called "peter doyle" (who was an entrepreneur of the fish restaurant industry) who suffered a sudden and catastrophic stroke, but he lived for a time to describe it.

he said (from memory)
"i was in my living room on sunday morning, and i was sitting comfortably in my favorite chair to read the paper after having a hearty breakfast, and as i was turning a page of the paper, my head suddenly exploded in a shower of stars."

he died after a short recovery period. such an unexpected turn of events.
to live in fear of that sudden catastrophic strike is quite annoying.