Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 7:57 am

I'm at a dock of the bay looking into the water watching a jellyfish. It's ethereal, mesmerizing, beautiful and very relaxing to watch. I wonder if it would be leagal to scoop one up and put it (and the sea water) in an aquarium. Should be the same as catching a reular fish to eat law wise? Have never seen a pet jellyfish irl or movies or tv shows. I find them fascinating.

Last edited by EzraS on 20 Jul 2016, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 8:00 am

Be careful. Some jellyfish have a really mighty sting.

I get the feeling you know the song "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay," by Otis Redding.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 8:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Be careful. Some jellyfish have a really mighty sting.

I get the feeling you know the song "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay," by Otis Redding.

I have heard they sting. That's why I'll have my cousin catch it hehe. My dad likes to sing that when we are at the wharf.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 8:10 am

It's a beautiful song.

Usually, Otis Redding was a rip-roaring soul singer. But there are times when even rip-roaring soul singers have time to reflect on things And this is the result.

catunderfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2016, 8:34 am

They are beautiful, but it's not advisable to try and keep one. You need a special filtration system to keep jellyfish. Regular filters will tear them up pretty quickly; they are very delicate. I wouldn't recommend capturing a wild animal, anyway... better to let them float around free -N- easy and watch. :P

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 11:20 am

I don't think it would be a good idea. Not just because jellyfish sting really bad, but because it will probably die. I was just looking up jellyfish on wiki and it says they're not adapted to enclosed places. They need a current to move them from place to place, and they need special aquariums that simulate water currents.

Also you'd have to feed them. Jellyfish eat too, that's what their tentacles are for, to catch their prey. You'd probably have to give them things like small live fish and crustaceans to eat.

The other night, however, I happened to find a live stream video of sea nettle jellyfish on YouTube. :)

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 9:55 pm

My son also has expressed a desire for a pet jellyfish. They are beautiful to watch and amazing in their simplicity. I can't answer your question, but I think it was you on the "something about your town" thread who said your town was really picturesque. It must be if you've also got a dock on a bay! I can't help feeling envious.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 3:55 am

Well I spent most of my life living in the desert, so I guess I like paid my dues? haha. Thinking back on it, I don't know why I didn't film it with my phone. Next time. It was about the size of a softball. If I really want to go through with it, I'll have to get something like this. The changing lights really make it an amazing thing to watch.

Warning: this video has some flashes going from one color to the next if you are sensitive to that kind of visual.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 4:16 am

At the aquarium in Seattle there is a giant glass ring that you walk through like an arch way, and you are surrounded by the jellies moving round and round. They have scores of species from tiny to huge, all different colors and bioluminescent ones, as well as ones that swim in unusual ways and have all types of tentacles. My son was so enamored he decided to be a lion's mane jellyfish for Halloween. It was a very cool costume my wife made out of an umbrella, some fabric and some bubble wrap.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 4:21 am

^^^^^cleverly done costume :wtg:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 6:12 am

Yes, jellyfish are very beautiful and watching them is very relaxing. I wouldn't recommend catching one though. It might be illegal, I don't know, but as others have said, they are fragile and poorly suited to aquariums, and you'd need to feed it too. It's better to just let it swim freely and enjoy it in the wild and on YouTube.

I wouldn't recommend touching one either. I have never been stung by one, but my mother has and she says it really hurts. A pity, as swimming with them would probably have been very relaxing otherwise.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 10:20 am

If me and my cousin caught one, the most we would do is keep it in a container for a brief time just to look at it up close. That would mean scooping one out with a fine fishing net and then placing it in the container wearing rubber gloves. But really unlikely that will happen. Maybe if we were still like 12, we would do it.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 11:23 am

I might have been stung once as a kid, but I'm not really sure. I just remember one time being at the beach sitting on the sand at the edge of the water enjoying the waves as they went past me, when suddenly I felt this burning, stinging sensation that wasn't going away. A few minutes later, a small crowd had gathered a few yards away around a jellyfish that had washed ashore. It's quite possible it was something else as I can't explain how it could've stung me from the distance it was at, and with only one stinger rather than the many they have on their tentacles, but I don't really have any explanations as to what it could've been either. It's also possible I might be remembering things wrong and I was in the water, where it could've grazed me with one stinger before washing up where it did. Either way, if it was indeed a jellyfish sting, I can say it's pretty painful, comparable to a paper wasp sting.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 12:20 pm

If you get stung by a jellyfish, don't pee on it. I know everyone thought you were supposed to do that because of a Seinfeld episode, but it can release more venom into your body.

TBH I am not fond of jellyfish. It depends on the species. I've spent most of my life swimming in the ocean and they have always been the bane of my existence. I've always been really afraid of them. The jellyfish were I live aren't pretty, either. They're like blood red and purple and have hideous furry-looking stuff under their jelly bodies and their tentacles remind me of veins. That's what they look like, pulsating organs floating in the water. Ick.

And not long ago I heard scary stuff on TV about jellyfish that sting badly found in the water at beaches they never had been at before, and their populations have increased, and people can't usually tell how bad the jellyfish are until they actually get in the water and are stung all over. Climate change. Of course, it's always climate change. A lot of people are in denial about it but not me. :(

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 1:17 pm

But on the up side: you dont have to walk them, spay them, nor do they scratch your furniture.

But you cant pet them very easily.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 6:31 pm

I think a jellyfish would be a groovy pet to have.