Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 7:45 pm

There's nothing you can do. It's OK to care a lot about a particular student, but you can't send them a lengthy poem that you wrote to express your personal feelings. That would be really unprofessional. The parents could go berserk. It could ruin your career / future even if you don't love him in "that way". People will interpret your poem and your singular affection for him as being nefarious.

All you can do is write a goodbye to every student if your supervisor thinks it's appropriate. I would make sure to clear it with your supervisor and with the head of the school before you initiate any personal contact with the students, or you access their email addresses / home addresses. You aren't their teacher and you aren't insured for malpractice as the same way their teacher would be. If you get approval to say goodbye to all of the students, then you do so in the same manner for each and every one of them. Poetry wouldn't be deemed appropriate, I dare say, and certainly not to just one of them.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 8:01 pm

Well, let me put it this way, even after all these years, I still feel I am on the wrong planet.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 8:08 pm

Sometimes we seek to give the love we deep down want for our selves as well. then feel hurt when its rejected, or worse, causes developmental issues from unhealthy attachments. which leaves us with empathy issues, are we not supposed to care too, to give what we would like to have and see our selves?

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 8:13 pm

How have "I" been feeling? A part of me feels I dont belong and wants to go back home. for me home was my wondering our nation coast to coast, a drifter, a gypsy, spent nearly a decade doing it. it was scary as hell, but I felt thats the only true place i belonged. my nation as my home. something deep down I know I cant do anymore, I am getting to old and my body wont allow it anymore, and the world has gotten a lot more crazy since I been out there all alone.

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm

Makes sense. I do se this student everyday on the computer. When I brought up the subject of middle school yesterday just to see how he feels about it or if he has any questions, he just yelled at me. "I'm not going! I'm staying back! I'm not going to a school where the teachers don't know me and love me and people are just going to make me mad so I get in trouble and lose my xbox!" Hearing him say this hurt a lot because it made me realize, as much as I'm afraid of losing him, he's afraid of losing us. All of us. Me, his teacher, the principal, the supervisory aide, and the nurse. And quite honestly, telling him he'll do fine there and fit right in and all the other generic garbage you're supposed to tell kids at the end of the year is a lie! It's all lies. I'm terrified of him going to middle school, I don't think he's ready at all, and I do think he will find trouble the minute he gets there and be extremely misunderstood.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 8:36 pm

Sounds about like he fears failing, performance issues, I have a son and I tell him all I want is for him to do his best, to try, nothing more or less, and he does have some issues but their coming from others pushing him and making him feel not good enough, always more more more, never good enough. while I never do that to my son. now and then I take up those issues with his teachers. he does better when I show him trust and faith and support, not negativity. I dont guilt trip him.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 8:41 pm

I don't want to sound sexist, but I'm trying to picture the reverse. If a female student at the end of fourth grade received a private poem from their 24-year-old male teaching assistant, talking about how much he loves and cares for her .... the police would be involved. The same standards must apply regardless of gender or intent. If you get clearance from the classroom teacher and the head of the school (headmaster / principal), I'd advise writing the same generic blurb to all of the students. Then at the end of the generic blurb perhaps write one or two sentences of personal encouragement to each student.

Example: Blurb about how much you enjoyed working with the class, how you wish them all well, and hope they have a good summer. Then, "Annie - I'll always remember that joke you told me about ....", "Joey -- I'll miss helping you with your Math homework and hearing about (TV show)". Then for the student you are worried about "X -- I know next year will be a big change for you. Good luck and best wishes! You can do it!"

That's all you can do. The repercussions of inappropriate communication with youngsters can be severe, if misunderstood by the wrong person. There are even legal boundaries for licensed teachers who are in a union.

I would tread very lightly in your position.

Good luck.

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2020, 8:44 pm

I always try to be there to support him. I tell him that it doesn't matter how long his work takes him, as long as he is trying his best. I will be there to support him every step of the way so that he doesn't have to go through it alone.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 9:01 pm

If you are truly concerned about the student's ability to begin a new school, advise the classroom teacher. The teacher will be able to make a transition plan for him alongside next year's teacher. This is something which schools do for all students when they graduate from one stage to the next. Perhaps the school psychologist, guidance counsellor, or social workers could be involved in this plan. Unfortunately, as a TA it isn't your job to script these documents or IEPs, but your input may be welcomed.

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2020, 8:55 am

Everyone is trying their best to formulate such a plan. The psychologist who is super nice but doesn't spend a lot of time with him on a day to day basis, the teacher, and the principal. There was supposed to be a field trip for all of the kids to go see the middle school and meet the teachers. They were going to talk to 8th grade mentors and learn the ropes so to speak. The thing is though, with this virus, we are doing distance learning so any good plan right now just isn't feasible. His teacher and mother are both very concerned too. There just isn't much that can be done at this point.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 3:04 pm

Anybody consider (or are experienced) with creative writing? Creative writing might be beneficial with 'stay at home' directives!

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2020, 9:17 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody consider (or are experienced) with creative writing? Creative writing might be beneficial with 'stay at home' directives!

That's what I've been trying to do. I've been trying to write down my daily experiences with my student during distance learning at home. Everything we've been through together and everything he'll face in the future without me. It's painful but I believe of all the possible coping skills, writing is one of the better choices.