Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ruudvandrago
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2006, 1:47 pm

When I was a child, I noticed that I hear such a noise. It is like squeak. And what is strangest that noise do not disturb me. What is more I can change a volume of that sound changing the concentration of my mind to it. And I do not understand when that noise started to go. When I noticed it or earlear? Perhaps it was since my birth, but I didn't uunderstand that it exists

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 1:50 pm

Is it like a 'noise' that you can hear in complete silence?

ruudvandrago

18 Jun 2006, 2:02 pm

Yes, exactly in complete silence I hear it

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2006, 2:39 pm

i get that too, peopl have alway told me it was because i was tired?

is this a common aspie thing?

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 3:14 pm

i am over sensitive to back ground noise, an idling car engine really bugs me..no it really bugs me.
but when it is silent i hear nothing......there is a thing called tinnitus which is a ringing in the ears you get after a rock concert...this happens when your ears have been blasted with a loud obnoxious noise for a prolonged period. but to actually hear anoise when there is no noise is not, in my experience and aspie thing.
i

ruudvandrago

18 Jun 2006, 3:30 pm

I am not aspie, after all I write this theme in non-aspie discussion. Perhaps my noise can be ezplained biologicaly. Perhaps it is some disorder

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2006, 5:21 pm

Loud noise isn't the only cause of tinnitus. Wikipedia has a list of causes that might be helpful, plus I think that some people get it for no apparent reason.

On a related topic, does anyone else hear voices when they're in bed and about to go to sleep? I occasionally get voices calmly talking nonsense, but if I focus on them they stop. If I let my mind drift away from them, they start up again.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 5:44 pm

Your noise sounds (ugh, scuse the pun! *slaps forehead*) like Tinnitus, from what you've said. But don't worry about it - it's perfectly normal. It's only if you have other funny things going on (eg vertigo) that you might want to contemplate worrying about it.

A word of caution - if you focus on it, it might start bothering you.

Mine bothers me in exams and I was quite relieved to find that I didn't have to (as I'd always thought) 'put up with it because everyone else does' - I now have white noise generators (colloquially known as maskers lol) which help :) They distract me from the T, and they're rather sotthing anyway. Yay.

And. Most people with T have it for no apparent reason. I've had it since before I can remember, and I certainly wasn't exposed to loud noises at any stage of my life!

But yeah, don't focus on it too much and don't worry about it. Else you might find yourself being unable to ignore it.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 5:46 pm

Hearing voices means your crazy.

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2006, 5:53 pm

Crazy eh? Ah well...it was nice meeting you all, I'm off to find a support forum for the crazy community and post on that instead.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 6:23 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
Hearing voices means your crazy.

Actually no - tinnitus can be in any form whatsoever. Yes it comes from 'tinnire' - to ring - but the definition is hearing any noise not from an external source. ('External source' includes things such as one's heartbeat - it's external to the cochlea.)

stuckinthedesert

18 Jun 2006, 7:54 pm

I have a similar problem in complete silence I hear a low buzzing noise. I was able to hear it ever since I can remember like 4 or 5. So being the type of person I am investigated it.

It turns out that I am able to hear at a lower rate than most humans. I found this out by going to one of those science museums when I was 12 or so and walked into this section and heard the most annoying sound I have ever heard akin to nails on a chalkboard and it was killing me so of course I freaked out. Everyone came to help and I explained it too them no one heard anything but me so I put my hands over my ears and started looking for where the sound was coming from. It turns out they had an exibit on human hearing and the machine makes a tone in all ranges. It was set a few points below human hearing into the range that dogs can hear and as soon as I turned up the machine it made a normal sound and that horrid sound stopped.

I also found the buzzing noise that aggravates me in complete silence. It was the electricity running through my home. One day the power went out and I had complete silence for an hour.

So my question for anybody that reads this post would be if they had somewhat odd hearing or hear that buzz or noise that’s supposed to below or above human range?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2006, 8:43 pm

I wasnt talking about that. I thought klassobanieras said he heard voices. It was a joke.

Last edited by ilikedragons on 19 Jun 2006, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2006, 6:25 am

i often have super hypersensitive hearing. I also normally end up covering my ears and having a mini meltdown!!

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 11:11 am

I hear voices, they tell me to burn things.

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2006, 5:49 pm

I don't have an abnormal hearing range (though I know for certain I can't hear beyond 18kHz, or below 50Hz - so not really too much less range than anyone else!) but I hate the squeal of television sets. It's worse than tinnitus becuase it's so piercing and ... bleh.