Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Clueless_Rhino
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2007, 1:32 pm

I think its a new version of cd, but thats all I know. If that much is right, whats the differance between the 2 and why would I be willing to even consider getting this new-fangled tech.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 1:36 pm

from what i read, its nothing but a high definition dvd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

hope this has helped.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Mar 2007, 1:37 pm

i havent heard about any new cds comming out that fit that discription, wierd. i thought mp3s and dvds were going to replace the compact disc.

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Video killed the radio star...

Personally, I think that Blu-ray is a waste of money, as it is merely an enhanced DVD that you pay absurd amounts of money for.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

22 Mar 2007, 1:44 pm

High definition DVD format one competing standard for the future replacement of DVD.
Current HD players cost alot and not sure if very many movies are available. If your super rich get one of the players that can play both new HD formats.

Gilb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 1:52 pm

blu-ray (note incorrect spelling of blue) is a form of optical media which is able to store much more data than DVDs. Developed by sony and named due to the fact that the media uses blue light (due to the wavelength being ~400nm instead of ~750nm) the storage is able to hold more than 50 GB as opposed to 9GB of DVD. Blu-ray is used to store high-definition films which is not feasible with standard DVD unless it is stored using a lossy means of compression and it is also used in the playstation 3 as a media to store games.

i know i am just showing off :P

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:40 pm

You're not the only one who asks this question with new technology. ;)

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:48 pm

Gilb wrote:
blu-ray (note incorrect spelling of blue) is a form of optical media which is able to store much more data than DVDs. Developed by sony and named due to the fact that the media uses blue light (due to the wavelength being ~400nm instead of ~750nm) the storage is able to hold more than 50 GB as opposed to 9GB of DVD. Blu-ray is used to store high-definition films which is not feasible with standard DVD unless it is stored using a lossy means of compression and it is also used in the playstation 3 as a media to store games.

i know i am just showing off :P

To piggyback on your post, blu-ray, along with HD DVD uses multiple layers of information. blu-ray has an advantage over HD DVD in that the number of layers that can be burned onto a disc. Here's a good example of what layers can do: A CD is single layer, storage capacity- 700MB. A DVD is also single layer, but it holds 4 GB. Dual layer DVDs are just as the sound, two data layers burned in, with a storage capacity of 9 GB. HD DVD can hold four or even five layers of data, giving storage for up to 30 GB. The number of layers in blu-ray is limited by the disc, so the amount of storage space varies from 10 GB all the way up to some of the experimental 250 GB storage discs! To put that in perspective, the hard-drive on my computer is 80 GB!

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:50 pm

They are also developing a paper-based disc?!

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:52 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:

WHAT??! !! 8O

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:59 pm

Alternative wrote:
TruenoBlues wrote:

WHAT??! !! 8O

Read the wiki article. The disc is something like 51% paper, and supposedly biodegradable!

Gilb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 3:05 pm

optical is becoming obsolete in favor of holographic media we will be talking HVD instead of HD-DVD

Gilb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 3:06 pm

TruenoBlues wrote:
Alternative wrote:
TruenoBlues wrote:

WHAT??! !! 8O

Read the wiki article. The disc is something like 51% paper, and supposedly biodegradable!

i would imagine that is something they will add to a magazine to make production less expensive.

Clueless_Rhino

22 Mar 2007, 4:23 pm

That is very interesting. I'm thinking that if you load WinXP directly onto the Hard Drive and save everything including program files to Blu-ray, then wouldn't that be a more secure alternative than keeping it all on your Hard Drive? Just a thought. The first home computers had no hard drive. They were just a box that ran 5 1/2 inch floppy discs with simple programs.

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 5:01 pm

Blu-Ray is the expensive crap that makes the PS3 not worth the $1000 it retails for.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 5:32 pm

I won't be buying either format until there is a proven scheme (e.g. works with all past current and future movies) to rip them and play them wherever. And if no such scheme precipitates, I guess I'll just have to download my movies.