Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 4:53 pm

In TV programmes about families, they always seem to have 3 kids; The Simpsons, Family Guy, Outnumbered, etc, all have 3 kids in the families. What is it about the number 3?

I am not criticising, I'm just curious or fascinated as to why it's mainly 3 kids.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 6:30 pm

Hmm I have never thought about it, but you're right.. and that is interesting.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

05 Dec 2016, 7:36 pm

I thought about it before cuz lots of shows that were on Fox have 3 kids. I'm not sure whey they do thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 8:09 pm

Back in the days of old TV sitcom families had any number of kids: Dick Van Dyke (1), Leave it Beaver (2), Honeymooners (zero), Lost in Space (2), Flintstones (the Rubbles and Flintstones each had one), Jetsons (2), Jeffersons (3), Brady Bunch (6, though it could be argued that they were a blended family with three each), Cosby Show (5), Roseanne (2).

Today? The Simpsons only have two kids I believe (Bart and Lisa). Is there a third kid? The Middle does indeed have three kids, The main family in King of the Hill has just one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 8:15 pm

What made you pick Andy Capp as your avatar?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 8:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What made you pick Andy Capp as your avatar?

That's who I initially thought that was too.

It was one of the few avatars offered here on WP that was not already taken, and my first name is Andy. So what the heck? Might keep him for a while. Or might find sumpin else.

But its funny you ask, because soon after I adopted that avatar I realized that that probably is not actually Andy Capp. Andy Capp is a Brit who wears checkered version of one of those flat caps that working class blokes in Britain wear (don't know what theyre called), and not a baseball cap like that (too American). And Andy Capp also wears a black jacket and scarf or something. That's actually just some generic American guy drawn in the Andy Capp style.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 8:31 pm

He's the spitting image of Andy Capp.

A Yank version, I guess.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 10:54 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Back in the days of old TV sitcom families had any number of kids: Dick Van Dyke (1), Leave it Beaver (2), Honeymooners (zero), Lost in Space (2), Flintstones (the Rubbles and Flintstones each had one), Jetsons (2), Jeffersons (3), Brady Bunch (6, though it could be argued that they were a blended family with three each), Cosby Show (5), Roseanne (2).

Today? The Simpsons only have two kids I believe (Bart and Lisa). Is there a third kid? The Middle does indeed have three kids, The main family in King of the Hill has just one.
Roseanne has 3 kids. & The Simpsons have a 3rd, Maggie

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 5:27 am

nick007 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Roseanne has 3 kids. & The Simpsons have a 3rd, Maggie

Yeah. They Roseanne had that dark haired little son. I was only thinking of the two daughters. Forgot about maggie. My bad.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 5:58 am

If I had to guess, I'd attribute the reason to the national average of children per family. Here in Finland, families have an average child count of just under 2, and in Finnish TV shows, the "families" usually have 2 children as well. They follow the national standard, so to say.

Then again, I'm not knowledgeable enough on America to know what the national average is over there. Just throwing guesses.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 12:07 pm

whatamievendoing wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd attribute the reason to the national average of children per family. Here in Finland, families have an average child count of just under 2, and in Finnish TV shows, the "families" usually have 2 children as well. They follow the national standard, so to say.

Then again, I'm not knowledgeable enough on America to know what the national average is over there. Just throwing guesses.
I heard the national standard in America was two or two point something but that was when I was in high-school so it could of changed sense.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 12:47 pm

I think it gives the writers the widest scope to tell stories. A family that has a boy, and a girl, AND a baby (of either sex) allows for bigger variety of plots.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:19 pm

I think it's so male and female are represented as well as babies.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:44 pm

Usually one boy, one girl, one baby. Allows for a greater variety of story lines.

I've always questioned why so many shows, particularly sit-coms, feature an overweight, not-very-bright, lazy man married to a thin, smart, go-getter woman. It gives some men the idea that they're entitled to a spouse that's WAY out of their league. Have you ever seen a show featuring a dumb, lazy, fat woman married to an Adonis? No way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 1:55 pm

Parents like the idea of having three Sweet peas in their family pods.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 5:32 pm

What about shows that have 3 kids & none are babies like Bob's Burgers & The Middle.