Ever considered becoming vegetarian?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 3:36 pm

I m pescatarian, meaning a vegetarian who eats fish, and I eat dairy and eggs, so I am not a very strict vegetarian and not vegan. But I have been this variety of vegetarian for over 25 years and I can't imagine eating beef or pork (I've had chicken twice in 25 years to be polite to a host). If I accidentally put something in my mouth that has been flavored with meat it tastes really awful and I notice it immediately. At this point, I have trouble even understanding why people eat meat. It's bad for the animals, bad for the environment, terrible for climate change, not great for one's health, and for me it doesn't even taste good.

Have you ever considered going vegetarian or vegan? Or are you already?

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 3:55 pm

I thought about it, but I don't have that level of interest in animal rights and I generally believe that the body does need and want some amount of meat and animal products. There's also the practical bit about how much work there can be in terms of avoiding products with small amounts of meat in there just as a flavor enhancer. Cutting out chicken from the diet makes a massive difference in terms of animal welfare compared with most other meats.

That being said, I do tend to try to keep to a moderate amount as you really don't need that much meat for optimal health. I can't recall where I read it, but a diet that's roughly 10% or so meat tends to minimize the environmental impacts of food and maximizes the health. The reason why some meat is more environmentally friendly is largely based on calorie density of the meat and that some animals don't require a lot of work to cultivate.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 4:16 pm

No, never.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 4:24 pm

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 9 years - from ages 15-24. I’m thinking about going pescatarian in the near future.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 4:49 pm

Hell no.

Apologies to my animal friends, but you're delicious.
I was surprised to learn dogs are considered omnivores despite having fed them vegetables all my life.
I do not understand veganism...Honey? Milk?
Im also unsure about those who eat meat (or fish/insects) who have never killed to eat.

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 5:26 pm

I've always wanted to but never done it. I'm hoping to phase out meat this fall once I start making more of my own food. I really don't like how much meat I eat now.
*swallows mouthful of chicken bacon casserole*

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

31 Jul 2024, 6:15 pm

I've always been a very picky eater who really likes fried seafood & fast food so I never considered becoming vegan or vegetarian.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2024, 7:07 pm

No. I love my meat too much.

Rhapsody
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2024, 8:26 pm

You sound just like my aunt, Bee. She's the same. We went to this Greek restaurant that stored their spanakopita under meat for some reason, so the meat dripped down onto it, but we had no idea that they did this until she took the first bite and made the funniest face and then asked them why there was meat in it. Luckily they apologized and gave her some uncontaminated food.

I've personally never considered becoming vegetarian. A lot of the medical diets I've been on have restricted everything but meat. Which I always thought was a weird choice, but apparently unless you get that weird Lyme disease issue meat is considered pretty safe for digestive problems.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 11:53 am

I am pescatarian. I was raised lacto vegetarian but added eggs and fish to my diet in my twenties to make it easier to put on more muscles from my weightlifting.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 12:11 pm

I try and eat healthy. I eat a lot of vegetables, love Morning Star veggie sausage, beans (although I flavor them with smoked turkey necks which I find is a good substitute for ham bones that I can't find anymore), I drink 1% milk and sweeten my cereal with honey. I very rarely eat beef and pork, eat substitute eggs. I love chicken and limit my sweets.

P.S. I used to be a vegetarian

Last edited by Aspinator on 01 Aug 2024, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bestiola
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2024, 12:13 pm

bee33 wrote:
I m pescatarian, meaning a vegetarian who eats fish, and I eat dairy and eggs, so I am not a very strict vegetarian and not vegan. But I have been this variety of vegetarian for over 25 years and I can't imagine eating beef or pork (I've had chicken twice in 25 years to be polite to a host). If I accidentally put something in my mouth that has been flavored with meat it tastes really awful and I notice it immediately. At this point, I have trouble even understanding why people eat meat. It's bad for the animals, bad for the environment, terrible for climate change, not great for one's health, and for me it doesn't even taste good.

Have you ever considered going vegetarian or vegan? Or are you already?

Yep, I'm a vegan.

Last edited by Bestiola on 01 Aug 2024, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 1:13 pm

I love meat me

I had a bf once who told everyone he was vegetarian but he wasn't

I could never understand why he did this but he kind of trapped himself by his lie because when we was all digging into burgers he was stuck with a bit of lettuce and tomato :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

01 Aug 2024, 2:12 pm

babybird wrote:
I love meat me

I had a bf once who told everyone he was vegetarian but he wasn't

I could never understand why he did this but he kind of trapped himself by his lie because when we was all digging into burgers he was stuck with a bit of lettuce and tomato :lol:
That's funny & odd. I've known a few guys who acted like they were vegetarian because their girlfriend's or the women they wanted as girlfriends were vegetarians so the guys felt pressured to conform to impress. Perhaps he was part of some activist group that were kinda militant vegetarians :? I've heard some members of PETA can act like that & they kinda end up alienating meat eaters who also support more humane treatment of animals in general including farm animals raised to be eaten. One of my cousins was a member while she was in college. She quit being a member party because she liked eating seafood. She was a vegan except for eating seafood.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 2:21 pm

He just used to like to impress people but with lies :lol: really weird

I don't think I could survive as a vegetarian me and I certainly wouldn't lie about it to impress anyone

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2024, 2:32 pm

A couple of years ago, I won a set of vegetarian food - vegetarian gołąbki, hummus etc. They were disgusting :? They tasted like wet paper so hell, no way :o