Can you sleep in any position other than lying down?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 10:04 pm

FluffyDog wrote:
Taupey wrote:
I don't know how people sleep standing up :?:

As I tried to explain above, my sleep is different in different positions. When I sleep while standing up by sleep is very shallow and I can awaken instantly. In this position, I can even sleep with my eyes open. Nevertheless, it is a state of sleep rather than wakefullness. I dream, real dreams of my subconsciousness running wild that have nothing to do with daydreaming, and when I wake up I cannot really remember the period I covered in that state.

I reckon that another thing that is different when I sleep standing is my muscle tension. I am not nearly as relaxed when I wake up as I would if I had been lying down. Another thing is that I always lean against a wall or a piece of furniture when I pull off this little stunt. Otherwise I would not be able to remain upright.

But on the whole, it is not very comfortable and I only do it when circumstances don't allow for anything else (e.g. outside when the ground is wet) and when I am so tired/bored that I simply can't go on without a little nap.
That's cool that you can do that, like you said it keeps you from getting soaking wet if it was raining. Thanks for explaining it to me. I'm going to try it once I move all this boxes out of the way. :sunny:

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

BloodYeti
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2010, 4:34 am

Naturally, I like laying down best. Nonetheless, I recently spent probably eight hours sleeping in a sitting/bent up position; I was sitting in a single seat (plane seat), with my head on my arm on an armrest. I can sleep in a similar position in cars, and on occasions, I've actually nodded off while sitting upright (I was exceptionally exhausted then though). I suspect I could probably fall asleep standing upright if leaning against someone I feel safe with (my partner or my mother), but I have yet to test that.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm

I can sleep in just about any position there is. Once you get to be my age the harder part is staying awake.

However, I can not sleep at all if there are people in the room that I do not know. So sleeping on a Greyhound bus is completely out. There is no way I would fall asleep on that. You'd have to tranquilize me.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 2:23 am

Other than problems with sleeping in general where I can't sleep at all... I've fallen asleep in some pretty contorted ways. I'm 6 ft. 3 In. and I've fallen asleep in the passenger side of my mother's BMW Z4. I'm not even sure those cars are meant for people my height to even ride in let alone fall asleep in. I'm pretty sure if my mother crashed I'd be a paraplegic from the way I have to contort to fit in there. Oh great airbags... now my knees can impale my face in a crash :wink:

Anyway I think I can fall asleep anywhere as long as the conditions are right. Like I can't sleep on a bus with strangers... I can't usually sleep with anyone near me unless I really know them. Also if it's too hot or noisy I'll never fall asleep.