Do you fear having a mundane life?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2011, 2:36 am

Here's a question: Is there somewhere you and your son would rather go than the mall? It's not a getaway, but it's a change.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 3:15 am

Quote:
Once, when Chuang Tzu was fishing in the P'u River, the king of Ch'u sent two officials to go and announce to him: "I would like to trouble you with the administration of my realm."

Chuang Tzu held on to the fishing pole and, without turning his head, said, "I have heard that there is a sacred tortoise in Ch'u that has been dead for three thousand years. The king keeps it wrapped in cloth and boxed, and stores it in the ancestral temple. Now would this tortoise rather be dead and have its bones left behind and honored? Or would it rather be alive and dragging its tail in the mud?"

"It would rather be alive and dragging its tail in the mud," said the two officials.

Chuang Tzu said, "Go away! I'll drag my tail in the mud!"

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:34 am

ViewUpHere wrote:
Here's a question: Is there somewhere you and your son would rather go than the mall? It's not a getaway, but it's a change.

maybe garden

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:39 pm

joerojas87 wrote:
I fear an ordinary mundane reality, so I choose to live a life in the pursuit of truth and knowledge which naturally avoids the problem. Ultimately, I fear ignorance; ignorance which in turn will inevitably lead to conformity or blind submission to cultural and social norms and expectations. I fear that I may one day lose the inclination and patience in order to sustain a state of enlightenment, because a life as such tends to be a lonelier one, and I will always be tempted to relinquish my pursuit of truth in order to be accepted and respected by the majority.... but I can not avoid the downside of this reliance: a lonelier life.

Definitely. Very strongly. I spent most of my life finding answers to life's problems (see AnswersAnswers.com and tough questions). In return I find I have nothing in common with others, because NTs don't like to focus on ideas, and Aspies have their own obsessions. The quest has brought me nothing but grief, yet the thought of just accepting the world as it is, with its hungers and injustice and ignorance, horrifies me. It's an existential thing. NTs can ignore the problems and instead focus on their own happiness. I can't, so happiness is always out of reach.

I am the same in my career as well. I don't want to be an employee, so I make games instead. And I don't want to make games like others make, so mine are fundamentally different.

Come to think of it, I was the same in my 35 years as a religious zealot. others would just attend church for the social rewards, but I had to dig and research and always try to break new ground. Looking back, yes, its an aspie thing.

kdac73
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm

That has to be one of the most eloquently and articulated expression of feelings I have ever read. Thank you so much for sharing. It was beautifully said and felt by many. Have a beautiful day!

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm

Same for me - I don't do "fear" very well in an alexithymic sense but I do have a sense of dread, of foreboding and avoidance that leads to constantly pressuring myself, to avoid the kind of existence described here - mundane, boring, useless, ignorant. There's nothing worse than that - I would rather live in a disaster that this ... Nothing. It's like such an existence isn't really a life, it's just waiting until you die.
No experiences, no new information, no furthering yourself, no helping male others' lives better, no discovering anything amazing or seeing anything of the world, just ... Nothing.
I had four years of this and I cannot stand it. The idea that this could just continue, indefinitely, then I drop dead horrifies me. I have to get out.

RonaldD793
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2016, 7:28 am

Well I am already living a mundane and repetitive life. You know wake up, have breakfast and a shower, get dressed and go to the car, arrive at St. Luke's Hospital in Metro Manila, Philippines, do two or three sessions of therapy whether it be physical, occupational (which specializes in the hands, rather than the entire body), or speech, go home have lunch and rest for one hour, do additional exercises in the evening, have dinner, do some Sudoku and then sleep. Repeat ad infinitum, and there you have it. Oh and watch a movie on Sundays, every one to weeks. And yes the reason why my life is the way it is is that I've recently had a stroke, and this routine is part of my recovery process. Maybe I'll go back to cooking college in the (hopefully) near future, but as of now that's my life.

CaptLasik
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:44 am

I'd prefer a content yet mundane life, to one full of suffering.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:47 pm

nick007 wrote:
What do you mean by mundane life :?: My life is really boring & I kind of like it that w2ay

Same here. Boring, routine and predictable. Just the way I like it.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 9:28 am

I already existed through a mundane life for many years in a self imposed exile so I could figure a lot out and place the blocks down of the life I wish to pursue piece by piece and grow into the form I have sketched, so no I don't fear a mundane life cause I already suffered it. I will always be soothed by repetition and routine but these will just be the walls around which I hope to flow around, I have to respect my brain's wiring after all!

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 10:22 am

DarrylZero wrote:
I fear living a useless life much more than living a mundane life.

^ this

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 2:06 pm

Nope, I enjoy living a mundane life.