Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What is your opinion of someone elses opinion??
I don't give a flying leap what you think 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
I don't give a flying leap what you think 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Who cares, you're a dolt too! 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Who cares, you're a dolt too! 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Up yours Scrapheap! 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Up yours Scrapheap! 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
How could you say such a thing to the likes of ME!! I'm suing!! 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
How could you say such a thing to the likes of ME!! I'm suing!! 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 1:58 am

Scrapheap wrote:
There you have it, I'm officially calling everyone on Wrong Planet, a dolt.

Now, how offended does this make you??

Offended? Not at all.

As with a general rule, I will assess the value of the statement or opinion,
and then appropriately adjust my assessment of the individual making it.

Unexpected, unpleasant or unorthodox opinions can be right, so should not be dismissed out of hand. But if one source repeatedly produces useless ones, it is reasonable to ignore it.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 3:46 am

Emettman wrote:
I will assess the value of the statement or opinion,

"How people react to others says a great deal about the people, but very little about the others."

- Emerson

Frosch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2006, 8:01 am

I don't know you, you don't know me, and therefore I put your comment in my ''Stupid Comments - to be forgotten as soon as possible'' part of my brain.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:19 am

If it's all conveying the same thing, why would you even post this poll anyway?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 12:21 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
If it's all conveying the same thing, why would you even post this poll anyway?

The messages have different levels of anger displayed, as well, the last one states legal action to this comment.(I am not sure how you can sue someone for just being a jerk though)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 12:34 pm

I wouldn't do that, but I honestly have the same feelings for the person who posted this thread in return.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 2:30 pm

MrMark wrote:
Emettman wrote:
I will assess the value of the statement or opinion,

"How people react to others says a great deal about the people, but very little about the others."

There's a lot of truth in that, but there's going to be a sticking place, somewhere.
Do I detest person X because I am intolerant, or because they are intolerable?
Each must draw their own line in the sand.

On the whole I don't go with "Respect needs to be earned", but lean towards "Show respect to everyone, until they've demonstrated that they don't deserve it."
Even then I may continue to treat them at least politely, considering my values, not their character.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 2:45 pm

I have to agree with most of the replies to this thread (except Awsomelyglorious, he's a ret*d). The whole point of this thread was to see how most Aspies (and most people) respond to being called a name. Most of you responded correctly and said you did'nt care.

I've noticed some people who are QUITE sensitive to even the slightest percieved insult. I'm wondering if this is a trait that Aspies simply don't have. This kind of sensitivity IS however a trait of other disorders.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 3:41 pm

I don't need any more disorders, dysfunctions, syndromes, or ...isms of any kind. I want life to just be fun from now on. Energy diverted from this is wasted, in my view.

When I was younger I felt like I could waste anything and it would grow back. I didn't understand that, not everything grew fast enough to keep step with my appetite. Learning that my own energy was not infinite was quite a shock and that knowledge has altered my responses to annoying things many times.

*reggae rhythm section in the background*

*vamping keyboard*

Don't worry ...

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 5:40 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
I'm going to call eveyone here, whether I like you or not (or don't even know you) a dolt. There you have it, I'm officially calling everyone on Wrong Planet, a dolt.

Now, how offended does this make you??

I've been insulted before. Compared, you have the profiency of a beginner and not even a very promising beginner.

So I'm not at all, offended, considering I've been called a lot worse.

My style is more quick-'I can't be bothered with you'-jibey-comeback-and-make-a-run-for-it.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 12:21 am

DirtDawg wrote:
I don't need any more disorders, dysfunctions, syndromes, or ...isms of any kind. I want life to just be fun from now on. Energy diverted from this is wasted, in my view.

When I was younger I felt like I could waste anything and it would grow back. I didn't understand that, not everything grew fast enough to keep step with my appetite. Learning that my own energy was not infinite was quite a shock and that knowledge has altered my responses to annoying things many times.

*reggae rhythm section in the background*

*vamping keyboard*

Don't worry ...

Yet another correct answer!! If just more people would adopt this attitude...

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 7:12 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
I have to agree with most of the replies to this thread (except Awsomelyglorious, he's a ret*d). The whole point of this thread was to see how most Aspies (and most people) respond to being called a name. Most of you responded correctly and said you did'nt care.

I've noticed some people who are QUITE sensitive to even the slightest percieved insult. I'm wondering if this is a trait that Aspies simply don't have. This kind of sensitivity IS however a trait of other disorders.

You are so mean!! ! :x Not like I really care, it was just somewhat fun to react somewhat insanely. :) I just took your comment as a joke to be honest and then spent some time trying to think of a more creative way to respond. After all, if everyone said "I don't really care" then it would be boring. It really wasn't an emotional response though and I put some effort into trying to use words that still conveyed insulting meaning, yet were not what I thought to be the more major cursewords or if they were that they would be filtered out, after all, as can be noted by one of your posts about the filtering system where you gave an example, not all of the words you entered were filtered and as such I had to use some trial and error using the preview-function. Like the s-word wasn't filtered(at least from what I remember) so I used crap because I felt it wasn't as bad but still conveyed the same information and still didn't have the cutesiness that poop did(or perceptively did), I wish there was a better word for prostitute, however, I couldn't find one that had the same meaning(courtesan is a word for higher class prostitutes and wouldn't have fit) and I felt that prostitute wasn't as bad as a certain w-word which also wasn't censored out. So, as you can see, that response wasn't the work of an idiot but rather the manifestation of genius(or something like that).

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 7:21 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I just took your comment as a joke to be honest and then spent some time trying to think of a more creative way to respond.

Yeah Scrap, I took AG's response as satirical and stereotypical of flamers everywhere.

- Emerson

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 7:48 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:

You are so mean!! ! :x Not like I really care, it was just somewhat fun to react somewhat insanely. :) I just took your comment as a joke to be honest and then spent some time trying to think of a more creative way to respond. After all, if everyone said "I don't really care" then it would be boring. It really wasn't an emotional response though and I put some effort into trying to use words that still conveyed insulting meaning, yet were not what I thought to be the more major cursewords or if they were that they would be filtered out, after all, as can be noted by one of your posts about the filtering system where you gave an example, not all of the words you entered were filtered and as such I had to use some trial and error using the preview-function. Like the s-word wasn't filtered(at least from what I remember) so I used crap because I felt it wasn't as bad but still conveyed the same information and still didn't have the cutesiness that poop did(or perceptively did), I wish there was a better word for prostitute, however, I couldn't find one that had the same meaning(courtesan is a word for higher class prostitutes and wouldn't have fit) and I felt that prostitute wasn't as bad as a certain w-word which also wasn't censored out. So, as you can see, that response wasn't the work of an idiot but rather the manifestation of genius(or something like that).

Oh.... I was just joking too Awsome!! Sorry I did'nt put a smiley after calling you a ret*d, my bad!! I was actually quite impressed with your diatribe!! You could've given Dennis Miller a run for his money with that one!!

This whole thread is a joke on most levels, but serious on one. It does'nt make much sense to get too worked up about insults (real or imagined) from others.

So that being said, can we all have a group hug!! ! Awwwwwwwwwwww :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 8:42 am

Scrapheap wrote:
Oh.... I was just joking too Awsome!! Sorry I did'nt put a smiley after calling you a ret*d, my bad!! I was actually quite impressed with your diatribe!! You could've given Dennis Miller a run for his money with that one!!

This whole thread is a joke on most levels, but serious on one. It does'nt make much sense to get too worked up about insults (real or imagined) from others.

So that being said, can we all have a group hug!! ! Awwwwwwwwwwww :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would join in that group hug, but I tend not to like strangers touching me. Its a personal space issue, I'm not really a touchy feely kind of guy. Yeah, you should remember the power of the smiley! 8) <--- as can be noted, this smiley right here shows that I am awesome/cool