What's the meaning behind your WP moniker?

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 6:51 am

AntDog wrote:
My mother has often nicknamed me Antdog since I was little and I got to liking it and it stuck.

But.... What does it mean----what IS an AntDog?

equestriatola wrote:
It's supposed to be said as "From Equestria to Los Angeles".

Ohhhhh!! I'm so glad you responded. I've been trying to figure YOURS out, for a lonnnnng time!! !

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:32 am

Absolutely nothing.

LupineSnowstorm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:46 am

Lupine means wolf like (similar to canine of feline)

Snowstorm is the name of a poorly thought out wolf character I made when I was 10 and haven't had the heart to change.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 9:13 am

Refers to the character in John Woo's Hard-Boiled, Inspector 'Tequila' Yuen.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 10:31 am

blue_bean wrote:
Absolutely nothing.

So, how did you come-up with it? Is blue your favorite color----and then, you just looked around the house 'til you found something else to put; or, you just put the first thing that came to mind?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 12:26 pm

So I was participating in this Zen forum and an aspie walks in.....(sounds like the beginning of a joke :D )

Anyway...so this aspie comes in and asks a Teacher if he can find relief from the pains of his/her life using Buddhism as a salve or medicine.

But rather than explain all of the details (explaining how you gain your own peace) the Teacher said "no."

I shot off a quick PM but it was too late, the seeker had left for greener pastures.

During his/her brief visit he/she mentioned spending time at Wrong Planet, so I shot over here to catch up with him/her, and
since my "handle" (in the Zen forum) was "dennis" I thought ZenDen might attract the seeker's attention. It hasn't yet or I'm
being ignored. Anyway....I stayed. :D

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 1:02 pm

It makes me so happy that someone 71 stayed with us!! ! I've seen a couple of people who are in their eighties----and, even one in their nineties----and I think it's so cool that no matter your age, you can come here and finally have some answers!!

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2014, 1:38 pm

I really like laser shows. That is pretty much it.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 3:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
1) "Fnord" is a word used in newsgroup and hacker culture to indicate that someone is being ironic, humorous or surreal.

2) "Fnord" is the typographic representation of disinformation or irrelevant information intending to misdirect, with the implication of a worldwide conspiracy.

3) "Fnord" is a metasyntactic variable used by programmers when they are either uncertain of how to define a datum, or they intend to leverage existing data across multiple platforms.

4) "Fnord" is the name for that intoxicating period of timelessness between the tick and the tock.

I cannot escape them
No matter how I try
They wait for me everywhere
I cannot pass them by.

Driving down the street
I see "Jesus Is Lord"
And then immediately after
I hear the word "FNORD!"

Innocuous sayings and parables
And on the evening news
I hear the word "FNORD!"
And suddenly I'm confused

I sit alone in my room
And I'm feeling rather bored
I turn on the tube and guess what
I hear the word "FNORD!"

"Don't see the fnords and they won't eat you"
That's what I've heard the wise men say
But I can't get away from those beasties
There's just no Fnording way!

Dude... welcome back! We've all missed you bunches! :)

Guess I have to explain my own nick now... It's a reference to a character from X-Men, combining his codename ('Cyclops') with his civilian surname ('Summers'); it's a character I can relate to, for being a bit socially awkward.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2014, 10:52 am

I've always wondered what your name meant, too, Fnord!! I'm really glad you posted!!

Count_Esclarmonde
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2014, 2:23 am

Esclarmonde, a sorceress in old French stories by Huon. She is the titular character in Massenet's late 19th-century opera, which is full of thrilling and dramatic music.

I added "Count" because I am male.

elfaoife
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2014, 7:01 am

My name is aoife, I usually spell it as efa. Many people misspell it as elfa... :roll:

I put them together to make elfaoife. :)

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 9:48 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
It makes me so happy that someone 71 stayed with us!! ! I've seen a couple of people who are in their eighties----and, even one in their nineties----and I think it's so cool that no matter your age, you can come here and finally have some answers!!

I like WP because, before coming here, I felt I had nothing in common with anybody.

But the thing I can't wrap my mind around (because I wasn't evaluated and noted until I was 69) is how it is to know, when you are yet young, how you differ from others, and then proceed on with your life. Is it especially hard knowing what your "difference" is?

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 9:52 am

Campin_Cat wrote:

I like WP because, before coming here, I felt I had nothing in common with anybody.

But the thing I can't wrap my mind around (because I wasn't evaluated and noted until I was 69) is how it is to know, when you are yet young, how you differ from others, and then proceed on with your life. Is it especially hard knowing what your "difference" is?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2014, 10:25 am

ZenDen wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

I'm thinking everybody knows, their whole life, that they're different from everyone, else----like YOU said that you never had anything in common with anyone. It seems like most are RELIEVED when they find-out----the HARD part is getting others to understand us, and accept us, as we are.

If you don't mind my asking.... What made you decide to find-out why YOU were "different"?

BlueOrchid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2014, 10:30 am

LOL.. Actually i got it from The White Stripes song that is called the exact same thing: Blue Orchid :lol: How "inventive" of me :roll: Not! :lol:

"Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible" | Frank Zappa