Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2015, 12:40 pm

Johannes88 wrote:
-What's a dish that we didn't borrow from some other country?

I submit the corndog for consideration.
Quote:
-People wore clogs in denmark, kimonos in Japan, Sari's in India, you never see an American with a cowboy hat and a gun, walking around, showing off what America is all about. If he wanted to seem American, he'd just wear the same thing he always wore. In fact, you'd probably cringe if you saw someone doing that.

Clearly you've never been to Texas.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 1:03 pm

I'd say the US definitely has its own culture, though definitely one that's somewhat strange when you compare it to other world cultures. The best way I can sum it up is that it's all about fast food, guns, NFL football, Hollywood, and an extreme sense of patriotism. :P I mean, there's more to it than that, a LOT more, but that's basically the gist of it. People often bash the US, and while they can be a bit crass and excessive at times, I actually appreciate many of the things they have contributed to the world. After all, they are Canada's biggest ally. If it weren't for their support, where the hell would we be?

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:19 pm

Yes, I think America has a culture. I also think that American culture varies from state to state, some more distinct than others. I live in New York City, and I think we have our own culture here. Not too many gun toters or flag wavers here. I hardly ever see a McDonalds. My kids ate there twice (not here). There are hardly any drive thru anythings here. It is possible to avoid any knowledge of football entirely here too.

And, yes, I do know more than 1% of the culture of my ancestors. My grandparents were immigrants.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:22 pm

LOL...I live in New York City, Queens Village to be exact.

There's a drive-thru McDonald's about a five-minute walk from my house.

A drive-thru Wendy's about a three-minute walk.

A Pizza Hut, a 7-11, a Subway, and a Dunkin Donuts all less than a three-minute walk away.

You'd be shocked at the contrast between one side of Hillside Avenue and the other side!

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL...I live in New York City, Queens Village to be exact.

There's a drive-thru McDonald's about a five-minute walk from my house.

A drive-thru Wendy's about a three-minute walk.

A Pizza Hut, a 7-11, a Subway, and a Dunkin Donuts all less than a three-minute walk away.

You'd be shocked at the contrast between one side of Hillside Avenue and the other side!

Kraftiekortie, I was thinking "this is not true of Queens" while I wrote that! Lol. There is a Burger King maybe a 10 minute walk from me, but I am almost never in that part of town in my day to day life. But, yes, even neighborhood to neighborhood in the boroughs can be drastically different from each other.

I'm in Brooklyn.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:38 pm

You probably live in some place like Cobble Hill or Park Slope (which would be really cool!--they have nice duplexes and triplexes there!)

If you go into Flatbush or around Kings Plaza, it's fast food city!

New York, especially Manhattan (and, increasingly, adjacent parts of Brooklyn and Queens), is a cultural mecca.

There is, definitely, a New York culture, which is distinguishable from that of the rest of the US.

Outer Queens, though, is more akin to the rest of the country.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 20 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 7:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You probably live in some place like Cobble Hill or Park Slope (which would be really cool!--they have nice duplexes and triplexes there!)

If you go into Flatbush or around Kings Plaza, it's fast food city!

I am not fancy enough to live in Cobble Hill or Park Slope :D, but live over in that general area (although fancier people keep moving over here now too). Before here, I lived in Manhattan, and Greenpoint.

We are thinking of moving to Queens. My parents are from Queens.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 8:13 pm

What part of Queens?

I'm thinking, for some reason, that your parents grew up in a similar area as mine (mine was Rego Park).

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 8:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What part of Queens?

I'm thinking, for some reason, that your parents grew up in a similar area as mine (mine was Rego Park).

One is from Woodside, the other is from the Belle Harbor neighborhood of Rockaway Beach.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 8:40 pm

Woodside and Belle Harbor are so different!

Woodside is in "urban Queens." It's only about a half-hour commute door to door from anywhere in Woodside to Manhattan. It's ethnically diverse.

To me, what distinguishes urban Queens from Outer Queens is whether there is "alternate side of the street parking."

Belle Harbor is a 1 1/2-2 hour commute door to door to Manhattan. It's not ethnically diverse. It's a nice area with nice houses. It's pretty isolated from the rest of NYC.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 8:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Woodside and Belle Harbor are so different!

Woodside is in "urban Queens." It's only about a half-hour commute door to door from anywhere in Woodside to Manhattan. It's ethnically diverse.

To me, what distinguishes urban Queens from Outer Queens is whether there is "alternate side of the street parking."

Belle Harbor is a 1 1/2-2 hour commute door to door to Manhattan. It's not ethnically diverse. It's a nice area with nice houses. It's pretty isolated from the rest of NYC.

They met in Manhattan:). Yes, Belle Harbor is not diverse AT ALL. People tend to stay there. I still have lots of family there.

Yes! Alternate side of the street parking is a good way to distinguish. People with driveways don't understand :).

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 9:42 pm

Another thing which distinguishes American culture from many other world cultures is just how varied it is from region to region. In Georgia, people seemed really warm and friendly, but when I was in the O'Hare airport in Chicago, the atmosphere of the place was really depressing, and the people seemed rude and cold.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2015, 10:17 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
America has two main cultures. Hip Hop and Hippie.

I did not know hippies where one of the main cultures....hell hippie music doesn't even make it onto the music awards, whereas hip hop does. I figured hippie culture was about as common as metal culture...and I don't mean all the kids running around listening to 'whatever'core running their traps about how Black Sabbath isn't considered metal anymore, which also seems to be more common that metalheads or hippies.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 1:57 am

The USA is a lot larger than those countries you compared it to. In japan, there was a time when everyone dressed a certain way, whereas in the USA, even during the "cowboy era" you would probably find people in the east not wearing cowboy hats. Culturally, it seems more like a collection of smaller, localized cultures.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2015, 2:38 am

Well, in the last few hours I've listened to some Coltrane and read some Mark Twain. Pretty sure both were invented here …

The essence of American culture is individualism. That means that we don't feel obliged to limit ourselves to the dress, food, music, and folkways of our ancestors, but freely select, adapt, and combine whatever we like from everything the world has to offer. The other day I fixed myself spaghetti with kochujang and chorizo, and enjoyed it with a nice Mencía. In a sense that was even more American than a cheeseburger and fries.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2015, 7:27 am

[MOVED from GAD to Random]

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)