Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 9:56 am

“Trust in God.” I’m an atheist now, but that never did me (and many others) a damn bit of good. ”In God We Trust” shouldn’t be on coins, and religion should be kept out of schools, courts, and anything else connected with the government because it feeds into Christian nationalism.

Ending a letter or email with “bless you,” especially when the person knows I’m a nonbeliever. Once, a person ended a work email to me that way. In this case, they didn’t know I was a nonbeliever. It just seemed a bit unprofessional.

“If you don’t follow my brand of religion, you’re going to Hell.” JFC, that’s irritating.

“You’re being misled by Satan.” Gaslighty. While I admire Satan, he can’t mislead me seeing as how he’s imaginary.

When people say: “Life isn’t fair” to try to get you to be content or, at least, go along with some lousy situation. Yeah, no s**t. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t strive to make things more fair.

“Women are the weaker vessel.”

“Wives be in subjection to your husbands.”

“Men are the head of women.”

“Turn the other cheek.”

“Spare the rod, spoil the child.” Batshit crazy.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 08 Aug 2024, 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

ColdFeetareCold
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2024, 10:50 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
“Trust in God.” I’m an atheist now, but that never did me (and many others) a damn bit of good. The phrase shouldn’t be on coins, and religion should be kept out of schools, courts, and anything else connected with the government because it feeds into Christian nationalism.

Ending a letter or email with “bless you,” especially when the person knows I’m a nonbeliever. Once, a person ended a work email to me that way. In this case, they didn’t know I was a nonbeliever. It just seemed a bit unprofessional.

“If you don’t follow my brand of religion, you’re going to Hell.” JFC, that’s irritating.

“You’re being misled by Satan.” Gaslighty. While I admire Satan, he can’t mislead me seeing as how he’s imaginary.

“Life isn’t fair.” Yeah, no s**t. There’s no reason why we shouldn’t strive to make things more fair.

“Turn the other cheek.”

Fellow nonbeliever here. Well, I'm agnostic, so I guess we're not really in the same group but it's close enough. Out of curiosity, why does the "bless you" thing bother you? I know several Muslims and greet them with "Asalam alakium" (or however you spell it, I just repeat what I hear) because that's their faith and it makes them feel good. I also bless people after they sneeze, and when I meet with my Jewish friends on shabbat, I say shabbat shalom. Would you feel uncomfortable with all of this for all major religions? Most of those people seem okay. I mean, especially the Jews, they've fed me bagels and weird Jewish food that was surprisingly delicious so they're alright in my book. Can't say I like the food the Muslims have fed me, so they lose a few points.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 10:56 am

Saying “bless you” after someone sneezes doesn’t bother me because it’s just something people say to be polite without really thinking about it. I don’t think most are thinking that they want God to bless the person in that moment. Greetings in some other cultures may be similar to that. When people say “bless you” or “God bless you” in scenarios like the one I mentioned, it seems a bit more intentional and religious. It’s not a normal way to end a letter.

This isn’t anything major. It’s just mildly tiresome as is when people say “I’ll pray for you” in the hope that it’ll bring me around to their religion. If I believed in God, I would have such a low opinion of him I’d prefer not to be blessed by him or otherwise associated with him at all.

I’m cool with people blessing themselves or fellow believers, but I’d prefer that people respect my lack of belief, especially if they are aware of it.

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2024, 11:50 am

I forgot a couple:

"In God We Trust"
"One Nation Under God"

I know where these phrases originate from, but the Christian Nationalists spammed them at my former workplace. Literally, they would write these on the envelopes!

People and courts have argued for decades that the addition to the pledge and the change of the motto is not something to be concerned about, despite how much it violates the constitution. I fear we are seeing how false that notion of it not being anything to be concerned about really is. These phrases stamped all over our money and pledge have given false license to these Christian Nationalists to take over the government and claim that this is their country. (and they said that all of the time - variations of "this is OUR nation").

When they used "We the People" that really got me, because they are a minority, thus they don't speak for we the people and that's a fact.

Anyway, got political there, oops. :oops:

TwilightPrincess wrote:

“Turn the other cheek.”

Yeah all of those are bad. And don't even get me started on the last one... Yikes.

Also, the phrase "women are too emotional for ...". What a bunch of nonsense. Had a man say the other day that we are too emotional to make any decisions for our own lives. :x But more commonly I see this nonsense used to justify not liking women as bosses or not voting for them as president.

It's just such complete and utter garbage. Men aren't emotional? Have they ever seen men? Have they never seen the man that's running for president in the USA? Seriously.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 11:56 am

"American Exceptionalism"

"Let's work on that"

"What people say about you is none of your business" - WTH? it's about me, IT IS my business.

" When in Rome"

" Wellness"

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 11:57 am

Harmonie wrote:
Also, the phrase "women are too emotional for ...". What a bunch of nonsense. Had a man say the other day that we are too emotional to make any decisions for our own lives. :x But more commonly I see this nonsense used to justify not liking women as bosses or not voting for them as president.

It's just such complete and utter garbage. Men aren't emotional? Have they ever seen men? Have they never seen the man that's running for president in the USA? Seriously.

Yes! Lots of phrases that begin with “women are…” are complete and utter BS. Some folks are too apt to make sweeping generalizations about groups of people.

“Men are from Mars, women are from Venus.” No, we’re from the same planet and aren’t intrinsically that different from each other.

“They say…” followed by some nonsense that’s not backed by research.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 12:15 pm

" Oh Well" ...... this one is the worst to me .. similiar to .. It is what it is . one has to wonder, why any person with a thinking mind might utter this phrase ... Is it they have given up hope ? or they just do not care ???. :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 12:33 pm

Let me " Axe" you a question

Preggers, just say Pregent :roll:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 3:19 pm

Preggies or Prego for pregnant.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 3:57 pm

I actually like "it is what it is." To me it means we need to accept and be aware of things as they are and know when there isn't anything we can do to change them. It's about acceptance of sometimes unpleasant realities.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 6:19 pm

"Is <name of fictional character> autistic?"

"Is <name of historical character> autistic?"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2024, 6:24 pm

Quote:
" When in Rome"

This is my least favourite one of all time and you all know why.

ColdFeetareCold
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2024, 6:40 pm

Oh I've thought of another one.

"Touch bases with you." and literally any other corporate lingo. Holy cow, when I hear someone say anything of the sort, I immediately dislike them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2024, 1:26 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Quote:
" When in Rome"

This is my least favourite one of all time and you all know why.

I like to add, "But we're not *in* Rome, are we?" :twisted:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 12:49 pm

"Should of" instead of "Should have". I'm okay with "Should've". But when I see "should of" written down it just ruins whatever else I've been reading.

Same goes for "Could of" and "Would of".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2024, 1:59 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Preggies or Prego for pregnant.

Enceinte

Now proficient in ChatGPT!