Would you kill someone out of self-defense?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Yes 86%  86%  [ 24 ]
No 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 28

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 3:35 pm

I must say that self-defense or harming someone who harmed a loved one are totally different things.

If someone's child is being harrassed and its life is in danger and you kill the criminal to save your child, I classify this as self defense and justified.

If your child has been killed and only later you happen to encounter the killer... well, if you do take justice in your own hands, you deserve jail as much as he does. This may sound cruel but I cannot understand the eye for an eye method, even if it is a loved one. If someone would murder someone I love, I wouldn't even want to look in the mirror if I'd harm the killer ; in the name of justice one does not become the thing he claims to detest. To let justice be done is up to a court, and nobody else.

In Belgium there is a courtcase about pedophilia and murder right now and some people say it would be justified to let the relatives of the late children kill the murderer. I think this thought is pretty sick, it'd be revenge and that can never be justice. It is a different situation when your life is at risk or when you can save the life of a loved one so I would say to harm the criminal is justified obviously when the life of the child could be saved, but to harm the killer months after the child has been murdered does not solve anything.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Jun 2008, 5:37 pm

i voted yes but only if completely necesarry i would shoot their legs 1st

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 6:40 pm

nodice1996 wrote:

Well, I for one would not want to mess with you then :)
That would sting a bit hehe, but smart thinking on your part.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:56 pm

if someone was trying to kill me i'd have no moral problem with killing them. if it's a fistfight i'd incapacitate them (and have done a few times) if possible but if they pull a weapon on me, then i have no problem with killing them.

I'm not a violent person. I used to get into fights when i had meltdowns but i can control them. i've come close to getting into a fight a couple of times in the past few years and i've been able to either diffuse the situation or take them down without actually fighting them.

nodice1996 wrote:

i wouldn't aim for the legs. if you're going to use a gun you want to make sure you hit them. the legs are small moving targets and are hard to hit, aim for the chest and treat their injuries once they're down. if you aim for the legs and miss, chances are that the person you're shooting at will try to kill you because you're shooting at them.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:00 pm

pat666rick wrote:

Yes, because I am defending myself from being possibly killed.