Page 13 of 24 [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 6:36 pm

Her sitter took that.

She's super easy to pose and dress up. So people do.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 1:09 am

This monster is snoring in my ear:
And this monster keeps showing up in my yard, rather unafraid and curious about my toes:

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 10:16 am

meems wrote:
And this monster keeps showing up in my yard, rather unafraid and curious about my toes:

Cool! Where do you live to have spiders like that? Do you know what species it is?

Edit: It looks kinda like a vagans actually but I don't *think* it is one.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 4:00 pm

Aphonopelma hentzi. People here in Texas call them Texas brown tarantulas. They're very docile. They're almost the only spiders I'm brave enough to let crawl onto my hands.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 3:13 pm

rapscallion wrote:
Amos
1 year old chihuahua

He looks great. I love the breed. I just got our second dog, a 10 month old rescue half-Chihuahua/half ???? . She is another sweetie like the one we have already and all love and destruction. :lol:

My new dog Molly digging.

Molly and Momo. Momo is half-Chihuahua/half Toy Fox Terrier

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2012, 6:51 am

My family has always been hugely pet-oriented. I can't imagine a life without any.

At the moment, we have one blue-fronted amazon parrot named Felix; two cockatiels named Pearl and Baby (Pearl is neurotype, while Baby was a rescue and has significant balance issues); two parakeets named Bubby and Pichu (they were the result of a pair we bought who bred incessantly); three lovable rats (all were destined to be snake food); and four very spoiled chickens.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 8:31 am

LaPelirroja wrote:
My family has always been hugely pet-oriented. I can't imagine a life without any.

At the moment, we have one blue-fronted amazon parrot named Felix; two cockatiels named Pearl and Baby (Pearl is neurotype, while Baby was a rescue and has significant balance issues); two parakeets named Bubby and Pichu (they were the result of a pair we bought who bred incessantly); three lovable rats (all were destined to be snake food); and four very spoiled chickens.

One Fronted Parrot
Two Cockatiels
Three rescued Brown Rats
Four spoiled Chickens
Five well-named Birds....

:lol: :wink:

meems
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

This was Murdahface, I fostered him and the family that adopted him re-named him

meems
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

Oddly enough, I now live one block away from him and see him every morning when I walk my dog. He looks happy and healthy.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Dear meems, I am glad that he has a loving home.

Sylkat

meems
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 9:02 pm

Sylkat,

It's always great when I find out one of the animals I've fostered went to a genuinely good home. I wish I could keep them all, but I can't so the best I can hope for is that the person(s) adopting the animal are gonna love it and take care of it. :)

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 12:42 am

I finally came up for a name for this spider. I always assume they are female until I learn otherwise and if it turns out this one is male then the name will become Victor :p She moulted recently and has changed in appearance a lot. I really like the detail on these two shots.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:24 pm

invisiblesilent wrote:

I finally came up for a name for this spider. I always assume they are female until I learn otherwise and if it turns out this one is male then the name will become Victor :p She moulted recently and has changed in appearance a lot. I really like the detail on these two shots.

Surely, a handsome spider. I like spiders but I don't entirely trust them. I would worry they would get out and bite my nose and lay their eggs in my hair. Overactive imagination probably.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:46 pm

Thank you :) There are no worries about them escaping, their homes are all very escape proof. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I knew these were in my bedroom.

Several pictures today. First, a new picture of my biggest spider Rosie:

Next some of the things I feed to the spiders.

These are desert locusts, Schistocerca gregaria:

I breed them to feed to my spiders. The yellow ones are juveniles, individuals of both sexes are yellow at this stage of development. Because I have so many of them concentrated together the swarming genes get turned on within days of hatching and so they are yellow. In the wild when they are not swarming they are actually green like other grasshoppers. Most of those are fourth instar for anyone who knows about these things. The brown one is an adult. Probably a female judging by the colour but it could be a newly fledged male.

The one below is also probably a female, again it's hard to tell. The males turn bright yellow once they become sexually mature but the females stay kinda dull.

Recently I didn't have any locusts small enough to feed to my small spiders so I had to buy some mealworms. Om nom nom:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:55 pm

They look a lot like the grasshoppers outside only they do not have those long, bent, back legs.

Actually, the ones in the first picture have them. I just got a closer look. They strongly resemble grasshoppers.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 6:21 pm

I had to buy some crickets to feed to the big spider. These are common house crickets Acheta domestica. I got a nice picture of one so I thought I would post it. You can click on the thumbnail and then click again on the next page to see a really large version, there's quite a lot of detail, not bad for a phone camera.