Page 3 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:00 pm

Oops - I had a big meltdown yesterday. My NT husband took the family out and apparently my purse is now a "stay-at-home" purse b/c I forgot it which would not have happened pre-COVID-19, I didn't have my password to order online from our preferred restaurant, my bike's kickstand failed and the bike fell and scraped me, it was windy and a bit chilly, I couldn't open the car (no key - in absent purse), my child was afraid to enter an "essentials" store briefly (for shelter), the alternate carry-out restaurant closed just before we arrived due to mechanical problems, there was sun glare (no polarized sunglasses - in absent purse), all-day use of my regular glasses hurt my ear (eye contacts discouraged due to COVID-19), the kids fought (no hi-fi earplugs - in absent purse)... KABOOM!

I do much better quarantined at home.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:03 pm

Technically not a quarantine, but I am going insane.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:08 pm

domineekee wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Not good. I am alive. Just my number one de-stressing tool is not available...

Sorry to hear that, you can always PM me if you need to talk to someone.

You can PM me too if you want, Brother MG.

@ Everyone: Mine has been fluctuating between good and awful. In fact, I feel that the quarantine setups in Oregon are something right out of a novel set in a dystopia.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:20 pm

I think I am already a semi hermit in that when I do go out I tend to avoid most shops, and also I usually stay in the car, or am at home. But if this continues, I will likely withdraw more and not want to go out. I have already withdrawn a lot compared to how I was after the last burnout, so spending more time in my bedroom isolating myself away... I have full control. No one comes in without me saying so.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 7:28 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
domineekee wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

@ Everyone: Mine has been fluctuating between good and awful. In fact, I feel that the quarantine setups in Oregon are something right out of a novel set in a dystopia.

Thank you...
Oh gosh! I am finding that I am planning ahead all sorts of things incase this lockdown is prolonged. I may have to get together with the few people living up here and barricade the road to prevent people from heading up here to steal if things go bad. I am almost planning the 24 hour guard duty rostering to go with it along with various patrols!

It is good to plan ahead as it means that we are always prepared. I am always planning ahead if I can. It keeps me sane!

Or, I can withdraw and hope nothing will happen... Decisions, decisions...

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 8:24 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
domineekee wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Thank you...
Oh gosh! I am finding that I am planning ahead all sorts of things incase this lockdown is prolonged. I may have to get together with the few people living up here and barricade the road to prevent people from heading up here to steal if things go bad. I am almost planning the 24 hour guard duty rostering to go with it along with various patrols!

It is good to plan ahead as it means that we are always prepared. I am always planning ahead if I can. It keeps me sane!

Or, I can withdraw and hope nothing will happen... Decisions, decisions...

Living up a country lane I've had similar thoughts MG, especially when hearing about hectic scenes in the shops. When I hear human voices, they all sound relaxed though, there are a few more people walking through the field and up the lane. I've decided to forget about it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 9:17 pm

Not sure where it is, but we do have a working cannon somewhere. If I can't find it, I can always make another A Team style! Haha.
Youngest brother saw how to make a cannon on kids TV. It was dangerous the way they made it, but when my brother had something on his mind to make something he would make it.
So as my Mother could not convince him that it was not such a good idea, she started to get me to try to stop him. No way. If I stopped him today he would be making it tomorrow even though he was only just in his teens. So I decided that it was safer to get involved. I said "If we are going to make one we will have to make it safe".
I insisted that we had to make it in such a way that we were not near the cannon when we set it off, so this involved parts of an old electrically operated lighter my Dad had, and parts of a radio controlled car. That way we could cause the cannon to fire without being near it. On TV they used a lighter over the front of the thing where the projectile was coming out!
When we got it to work... First attempt we used a potato. Wasn't great. We made a projectile out of plastic and other items that weighed about half a kg. Maybe more. Well. This thing was frightening and amazingly accurate. The idea was to take it to the middle of our field and direct the cannon straight up at 90 degrees as we wanted to retrieve our missile, but we also didn't want the missile to land on the house etc.
It was quiet in use but wow! 100 or even 1000 times more effective and accurate then we had imagined.
We expected to watch the bullet go up and watch it come back down again. No chance! There was low blanket cloud cover a few hundred feet above us. No only did the thing fly up far faster then we could visually see it, it went straight through the cloud and dissapeared.
My young brother was going to run forward to find where he thought it had gone. I held him back. We waited in our sheltered position for some 15 seconds before we walked forwards to examine the cannon. Though we heard the noise of it, we assumed the projectile was stuck in the tube. Nope. It wasnt there. About five seconds later "Bang". The thing landed right behind us about a foot or two away from where we stood holding the homemade cannon. And though there was a breeze, it seemed not to be effected by the wind.

We used it two or three times over that day and the next just for fun.
Then a few months later my cousins eldest boy was here. Brother had his cannon out. I said "Wait. Safety!" We set it up as before and retreated to the safe place. No birds around. Sky was clear. Perfect. Just clouds which were much hgher then before. Thwoof! There it went straight up, far too fast for us to see it go. Cousins eldest wanted to run forward and I said wait 30 seconds. We waited. At about 20 to 25 seconds he ran forward dissobaying me. We then started moving towards him after the 25 to 30 seconds had passed, and about ten to fifteen seconds later bang! It landed right behind cousins eldest only about 8 to 12 feet away from the cannon.

I insisted it would be 60 seconds to aait the next time, but we didn't try as I think the event put my brothers mind at ease that he could make one, and also I think gave them a bit of a fright to respect it a bit more.

I just can't believe how they made the one on the kids TV showing the man lighting the top of the barrel while standing with his head almost looking down the barrel as he lit it! I don't know how high ours went but for nearly 45 seconds to pass before it landed, and at no point could our eyes physically see it... How the kids TV program was allowed to air it I don't know. The only difence to ours was we made a better projectile then a potato and made it to fire from a safer distance. (About 30 - 40 yards away partly hiding behind wood incase the cannon exploded, as I wasn't too sure about using a plastic barrel).

Interesting times...

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 9:20 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
We will look back in years to come and smile and say to our offspring "I remember what the LBV days used to be like.

survival .

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2020, 9:26 pm

Jakki wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
We will look back in years to come and smile and say to our offspring "I remember what the LBV days used to be like.

survival .

LBV = Life Before Virus.

rileydaboss2000
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2020, 8:08 am

It's been okay for me, have spent most of my time in my room doing my usual things like drawing, going on my computer or playing games although I have gone outside a few times to get some fresh air and exercise but I have stayed in my neighbourhood only and always kept my distance from other people so that I can keep myself safe. I honestly hate the lockdown and the coronavirus though and I wish that things would go back to normal soon.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 8:27 am

I haven't had trouble staying indoors considering the weather has been relentlessly cold, windy and wet.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 8:30 am

I am having no trouble with social distancing and isolation, having had both imposed on me by others since childhood. Mrs. Fnord, however, has mastered the art of video conferencing, and has about a dozen people she contacts every day. I'm also getting re-acquainted with all of the kitchen gadgets we've accumulated over the years, and have learned to prepare meals that we used to enjoy only at sit-down restaurants.

As a side note, in my county, the fatality rate for victims of CoViD-19 is less than 1% so far (e.g., 0.93%).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:37 am

I think that the hardest part has been keeping track of time. Admittedly this isn't something I'm good at even under normal circumstances. However, it's particularly noticeable now. The days are blurring into one. My sleep schedule isn't great. Last night / this morning I found myself still drawing at 1 AM because I lost track of time. I've tried setting alarms, but I find that if I set too many then I end up putting off the tasks.

So, my plan is to start using some of my old methods. I find that if I get dressed before having breakfast, and if I dress up as if I'm going to go somewhere (including shoes) then I'm more likely to be in the right mindset personally. I've managed to get some exercise in and regular meals so far. However, my sleep is still all over the place. I'm making decent progress with my work. However, if I can maintain this...well, that's another question entirely. I can sure try.

The challenge for me is to maintain enough structure to keep on track, but not too much structure that I give up and procrastinate. Mission accepted. 8) :P

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:45 am

Another month being able to work from home! Woo hoo! I'm being serious. I love it.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 12:21 pm

I had an upset stomach with vomitting last night and this morning. I read where over half the cases start out that way.

Most likely it's just some mild food poisoning.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

30 Mar 2020, 3:17 pm

Before this virus I would mostly go out to shop, eat, & for appointments me or my girlfriend had. We go shopping about as often as before since the buses are still running(for now) & we can only carry so much back at a time. We cant go out to eat cuz places only do take out or delivery & no places deliver here. We need to check on sites that deliver like Grubhub, DoorDash, & Uber Eats cuz we miss eating out. Our appointments have gotten canceled or we'll do telehealth. I think I should start walking more now that the weather is warming up.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition