Who's Death Shocked You the Most?

Page 3 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 7:12 pm

Looks like Steve Irwin's death was the most shocking. I'll admit, I was pretty shocked myself. At first I thought he would be killed by a crocodile, but after watching his show, I thought he would never die because he knew exactly what he was doing. I guess he did, with crocs anyway.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 7:19 pm

Nobody ever expected Steve Irwin to die the way he did, least off all Steve Irwin, I sure miss his exuberance and love of all animals.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 7:26 pm

Same here, he just had an amazing charisma and for it to be mostly on the subject of crocs and other wildlife, never thought I'd be the least interested in those shows till he started one.

RIP. Steve Irwin

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 7:40 pm

I've never really been shocked by someone's death. I suppose thats what happens when you combine Christianity with an extremely logical mind. The fear of death vanishes and the death of others doesn't really bug you that much.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 8:49 pm

OMG, I'm glad Willie Nelson's not dead! I don't know how I would have handled that. It was bad enough when Townes Van Zandt died. That was the first celebrity death that made me sad.

I was shocked when Johnny Cash died too, but by then I had started to notice the post-mortem popularity phenomenon. No wonder people think that celebrities fake their deaths - it's amazing what it can do for your career. All of a sudden there are lots of young Johnny Cash fans and Hasil Adkins is a household name! 8O

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 10:14 pm

I would have to say Steve Irwin, as well. I didn't believe it because, I had heard a rumour that he was killed, a couple years beforehand, by an alligator. So, when I heard about the stingray, I figured "yeah right", and it really took awhile for it to sink in. I was shocked. 8O He was a man that definitely died way too young.

Those who know, don't speak.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 10:24 pm

Actually, Heath Ledger's death was a real shocker for us, because he was very friendly and well-known in his neighborhood, not snooty like a star. He seemed like a really decent guy, and a good dad.

The place he was living in when he died is near my office, and everybody was practically in mourning around here. It was really sad! :cry:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 10:34 pm

Yes Heath Ledger's death was a tragedy, he was young and getting much fame here as well as his home country and a good actor at that.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:30 pm

I don't really watch wrestling anymore, but I was watching garbled Pay-Per-View when WWF superstar Owen Hart died (brother of my favorite wrestler, Bret Hart). That was pretty shocking for me...it was even worse that kids were joking about it at school the next day :x

Another big one was when Dimebag Darrell died...I was in the hospital at the time, and my brother called and said that our uncle said that Dime and Vinnie were shot 8O I thought he was just kidding...of course, he was half wrong, but it still...well...I won't say it hit me hard, because it took a very long time to sink in...it's still kind of hard to believe.

The one that hit me the hardest was when I found out that Sam Cooke had died...I was on a 50s kick, and searching out all the oldies bands I used to listen to...I was really getting into his music, I forgot how good a lot of his stuff was, and it's even better live...and then I found a website detailing his death, and it just really ruined my day =/ I still feel it if I think about it sometimes, especially if I'm listening to some of his more melancholy stuff :cry:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:39 pm

^That's an interesting one you brought up in your last paragraph, I luv music and all the retro songs. I too was shocked when I read Sam Cooke's biography and other singers like Buddy Holliday and Jim Croce. I wasn't even born then yet after finding out about their music and then learning about their deaths, it striked me as though they had just died.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:42 pm

didn't Don Knotts die a couple months ago.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:43 pm

I believe I was in Las Vegas on holiday when Tupac got shot. I remember seeing the news article in the hotel room at the Luxor.

On sabbatical...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:51 pm

^ Yes that was weird. I was never into rap but I kinda liked some of his stuff.

25 Apr 2008, 12:05 am

My grandfather.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 12:07 am

^I'm a little worried about my granny right now. I think she's doing a little better now.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 12:10 am

My friend from junior high, he got jumped in an alley near my old home - in the middle of suburbia. I only learned of his death as the radio news reported the guilty conviction a year after his death. That was a big surprise as I was heading to work. He was 18 at the time.

Another friend from junior high died in a car crash when he was 16. That was a surprise too.

When my grandfather died. My oldest brother was doing basic training and he was trying to get in the same regiment my grandfather was in (originally the Calgary Highlanders, got transfered early on in WWII to the Loyal Eddies.) My oldest brother took it the hardest.