Page 3490 of 7596 [ 121525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3487, 3488, 3489, 3490, 3491, 3492, 3493 ... 7596  Next

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:17 pm

richardbenson wrote:
rabbitears wrote:
Woah, that is quite some spending! At least it's things you cherish and will have for a lifetime (I assume so anyway)

Sorry to be so nitpicky here but a Megalodon was a prehistoric shark, not a dinosaur. :oops: I do apologize for my pedantry though. What's the size of it roughly? Quite an impressive fossil. What's the other one you have? I have a Plesiosaur tooth. It's beautiful.

And I've taken your advice (as well as MONKEY's) and I've bought the vertebra. It's great for the price. (I've seen some for about £80 elsewhere - better condition but still, the condition of my one looks pretty good. Certainly recognizable as a vertebra).

And so true, I do adore my purchases today and I'll keep them forever cherished, I won't miss the money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230633440441? ... 678wt_1037

^ Here's the Plesiosaur vertebra. ^
Well I guess i Should have said swimming dinosaur, :P Thats cool. I can get quite technical about the things I love. I think its about 6 1/2 Inches maybe a little bigger, I used to have pictures of it up on photobucket but I deleted it, and packed all of my possesions into boxes because I'm going to be moving in a few days, It is chipped on one side (not the tooth part, more like the bone part by the gums.) It pitch black, and you can still see the saraded edges on the tooth. overall its in good shape I think. I paid about $60 for it but this was years ago and now I dont know how much its worth. The other fossil I have is of a fish, its in some kind of limestone, I have a opalized fossil clam, and a trilobite? I'm shure these arent the correct spellings, but whatev.

Nice plesiosaur vertebra.

They all sound great! And the Megalodon tooth is pretty huge too. The fish sounds very interesting. I have a small trilobite, a couple of small ammonites (some chunks of larger pyritised ammonites in the attic somewhere) a piece of plesiosaur femur, the tooth I mentioned, and now the vertebra. :D

I have quite a few more fossils from when I was a child, including shark teeth, obscure pieces of dinosaur bone (I remember having a chunk of Iguanodon vertebra, with some other fossils in a collectors' box set), petrified wood etc, but they are all in the attic and I can't seem to find them. I'd love to rediscover them.

I would LOVE to have a Parasaurolophus specimen but they're so rare. They only ones are in museums. And they are far from local. Good thing about Plesiosaur remains are that they are common and are found worldwide because they lived in the sea and weren't limited with boundaries.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 May 2012, 3:26 pm

rabbitears wrote:
They all sound great! And the Megalodon tooth is pretty huge too. The fish sounds very interesting. I have a small trilobite, a couple of small ammonites (some chunks of larger pyritised ammonites in the attic somewhere) a piece of plesiosaur femur, the tooth I mentioned, and now the vertebra. :D

I have quite a few more fossils from when I was a child, including shark teeth, obscure pieces of dinosaur bone (I remember having a chunk of Iguanodon vertebra, with some other fossils in a collectors' box set), petrified wood etc, but they are all in the attic and I can't seem to find them. I'd love to rediscover them.

I would LOVE to have a Parasaurolophus specimen but they're so rare. They only ones are in museums. And they are far from local. Good thing about Plesiosaur remains are that they are common and are found worldwide because they lived in the sea and weren't limited with boundaries.

Thank you. I also have a ammonite, although it probably can be considerd a ammolite because its opalized, gem quality all the way. :P
The pyrited stuff you have is nice, I almost bought one, one time but the store clerk wanted too much for it. It was in a sand-dollar shaped thingy

I love when organic material is replaced by either pyrite or opal. I have a piece of petrified wood, that also has been oplazied from the same general area as the petrified forest in arizona. I hope you can find your lost fossils in the attic, I know how much of a bummer it is to lose something you really do have a passion for. I've lossed plenty of gemstones, over the years. most recently my 27 ct. fire agate but i think I know what happend to it, my dad stole it! :lol: :twisted:

Last edited by richardbenson on 28 May 2012, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:26 pm

And to Richardbenson - I must say those Agates look gloriously nice.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 May 2012, 3:28 pm

rabbitears wrote:
Thank you. the last couple of years i've been really hot for them, :D

its a underdog and i wish more people would give them just a little bit more respect.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:37 pm

richardbenson wrote:
rabbitears wrote:

Thank you. I also have a ammonite, although it probably can be considerd a ammolite because its opalized, gem quality all the way. :P
The pyrited stuff you have is nice, I almost bought one, one time but the store clerk wanted too much for it. It was in a sand-dollar shaped thingy

I love when organic material is replaced by either pyrite or opal. I have a piece of petrified wood, that also has been oplazied from the same general area as the petrified forest in arizona. I hope you can find your lost fossils in the attic, I know how much of a bummer it is to lose something you really do have a passion for. I've lossed plenty of gemstones, over the years. most recently my 27 ct. fire agate but i think I know what happend to it, my dad stole it! :lol: :twisted:

I love the ammonites that have been sliced in two, (especially when pyritised and / or polished) so you can see all the separate chambers inside. In a way I think it's kind of defacing the original fossil that has remained in that state for millions of years, but I also think that it's great to be able to see more of it than would otherwise be seen if the specimen was left alone. It really adds a new dimension to it. And to think, no-one had ever seen the beauty inside until the person that cut it open. My chunks looked very rough on the outside and were quite shapeless, but were glimmering on the inside, although it was a bit cracked, still gorgeous though. But without seeing the inside of it people would just assume it was a lump of dull grey matter. I used to buy them at car boot sales for about 50p each, for a chunk that was a good two or 3 inches long, and perhaps an inch or two thick. Great bargains. I think the stall owner used to excavate them from the local cliffs and quarries.

Sucks that your dad stole your agate. Any chance of getting it back?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:41 pm

I also like your fire agates. :)

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:43 pm

richardbenson wrote:
rabbitears wrote:
Thank you. the last couple of years i've been really hot for them, :D

its a underdog and i wish more people would give them just a little bit more respect.

An underdog in what way? That they are overlooked in favour of other jewels, gems etc?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 May 2012, 3:46 pm

rabbitears wrote:
I love the ammonites that have been sliced in two, (especially when pyritised and / or polished) so you can see all the separate chambers inside. In a way I think it's kind of defacing the original fossil that has remained in that state for millions of years, but I also think that it's great to be able to see more of it than would otherwise be seen if the specimen was left alone. It really adds a new dimension to it. And to think, no-one had ever seen the beauty inside until the person that cut it open. My chunks looked very rough on the outside and were quite shapeless, but were glimmering on the inside, although it was a bit cracked, still gorgeous though. But without seeing the inside of it people would just assume it was a lump of dull grey matter. I used to buy them at car boot sales for about 50p each, for a chunk that was a good two or 3 inches long, and perhaps an inch or two thick. Great bargains. I think the stall owner used to excavate them from the local cliffs and quarries.

Well I guess if something is millions of years old its gonna be cracked and in "worn" condition, This is something I never understood about people. They want something in mint condition, but in reality, erosion is a real problem especially when you live on a planet with a atmosphere. People are the same way about sportscards, they want everything about the card to be perfect, corners etc. its just not gonna happen, :lol:

I love geodes, cracking something open to see somebeautiful amethyst, or whatever is really very exiting to see because its been trapped inside that stone for a milennia, 8)

And no, my fire agate is being held hostage. at first I think he swiped it to prevent me from leaving california, (he figured I wouldnt leave without it, but now He's been telling me that He is shure its around here somewhere and if he finds it, he will mail it back to me.) So, he obviously wants my address. So he can keep into contact with me, but little does he know I've already prepaired myself to loose that baby

so his plans are foiled. little does he know, :P

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 May 2012, 3:49 pm

rabbitears wrote:
An underdog in what way? That they are overlooked in favour of other jewels, gems etc?
Yes. Fire agate is by far one of the rarest gemstones on earth. the probelm is nobody wants to cut them, too difficult. also there only found in gem quality form in three places in the world. Arizona, California and Mexico

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:49 pm

Hey fever is wonderful...

:x

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:52 pm

MONKEY wrote:

Is that an allergy to people giving colloquial greetings?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:58 pm

rabbitears wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Is that an allergy to people giving colloquial greetings?

Yes.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 May 2012, 4:02 pm

I guess i can drink the rest of my beer in the fridge. :P

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 4:02 pm

richardbenson wrote:
rabbitears wrote:

Well I guess if something is millions of years old its gonna be cracked and in "worn" condition, This is something I never understood about people. They want something in mint condition, but in reality, erosion is a real problem especially when you live on a planet with a atmosphere. People are the same way about sportscards, they want everything about the card to be perfect, corners etc. its just not gonna happen, :lol:

I love geodes, cracking something open to see somebeautiful amethyst, or whatever is really very exiting to see because its been trapped inside that stone for a milennia, 8)

And no, my fire agate is being held hostage. at first I think he swiped it to prevent me from leaving california, (he figured I wouldnt leave without it, but now He's been telling me that He is shure its around here somewhere and if he finds it, he will mail it back to me.) So, he obviously wants my address. So he can keep into contact with me, but little does he know I've already prepaired myself to loose that baby

so his plans are foiled. little does he know, :P

Yeah. That's why I don't mind my new vertebra being not quite so good condition as the ones that cost £80. Just to think that it was found at the bottom of the sea by a fishing boat, after being there virtually unscathed for 150-odd million years. It has a story to it that adds to the remarkableness of the thing itself. And it's signs of erosion are part of that story. I kinda feel honoured to be the owner of it. That it was a real animal that millions of years later would have someone to care for it probably more than anything cared for it in it's life. I bet it never thought of that while it was swimming around minding it's own business :lol: (although there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Plesiosaurs had very maternal instincts towards their young, and a strong social structure, much like Whales and Dolphins today). But I almost feel like I'm taking care of a beloved pet, and I respect it as if it's still a living thing, like how we respect the meat on our plates as we understand it's an animal that gave it's life for us.

Anyway, I'll stop blabbing now.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 4:09 pm

richardbenson wrote:
I guess i can drink the rest of my beer in the fridge. :P

Is that the Coors you mentioned the other day? I like Coors. Have a load sitting in my room that have been there well over a year but I haven't touched. (I don't drink much anyway, used to though).

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 4:28 pm

Happy Birthday, Makayla!