what do you think people on WP look like?

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 7:51 am

I think that people look like their avatars unless their avatars are a landscape or something else that can't be anthropomorphized. (Which I guess makes me invisible or a non-entity). I know that they do not but I still think that they do. "Think" and "know" can be two different things sometimes. I identify posters so strongly with their avatars that this carries over into the non-WP world and I think of posters here when I see their avatars in a non-WP context.

I thought of Idaho Rose when I recently watched the movie "Alice in Wonderland" (for a while she had a Mad Hatter avatar). I think of MONKEY when I see a photo of a monkey. I think of b9 when I see that robot in Sci-Fi hobbyist stores. I thought of Horus while watching the Hellboy movie. I think of visagrunt when I see a Peanuts cartoon featuring Linus. And so on. I know that nobody here looks like a fictional character, cartoon, animal or robot, but I have avatar and poster so tightly intertwined that it is how I think they look even if I know they do not.

I don't become confused when people change their avatars because they tend to be thematic. (Like b9 said, it's a logo for them.) I do become confused when two people choose the exact same avatar. Once I became deeply confused when two posters who had chosen a cartoon penguin got into a disagreement. An entire page of a thread seemed like one cartoon penguin angrily muttering to itself.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 9:16 am

Asp-Z wrote:
I think they look like their avatars. Moog has three eyes and I'm a phone.

I thought you looked a lot more like a car a while back

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 4:36 pm

Miss Janissy, you make a great amount of sense in that often an avatar might represent a side of a person in terms of expression or merely reflect an aspect of an individual..Honestly, I've uploaded image(s) of what I actually look like a time or two in the past but, due to someone making a mockery based on my appearance alone, I chose to not do that anytime soon.Still, avatars can be utilized in a multitude of ways so, whether someone use's a real-life image or a visual concept is purely one's own decision and all.. :) :salut:

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 6:58 pm

LeeAnderson wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

And I'm apparently nonexistent.

And I'm a doodle on a napkin! XD

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 1:26 pm

I imagine a lot of you to be brunettes.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 2:21 pm

KissOfMarmaladeSky wrote:
I imagine a lot of you to be brunettes.

Not meeeeee. I'm a blonde. :D

Although I picture a lot of users being brunettes too, now that I think about. XD

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 2:47 pm

Uh, huhuhuh, I look like a butt.

Yeah YEAH!! I look like POOP! FIRE FIRE YEAH!! ! Heh-heh-heh-heh

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2010, 4:00 pm

Todesking wrote:
I look a lot like my avatar. I am big, slow moving, and prone to outbursts of violence. The only difference is the cyclops has one eye and I have 4 eyes.

Is that you with the long hair and glasses? O:
Boy, was I wrong. I imagined you as a baldie (said with affection). Might just be due to your avatar. :P
But your real life appearance is much more pleasant. You look a whole lot like one of my previous art teachers. He was an amazing guy.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 4:51 pm

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 6:31 pm

Erisad wrote:
LeeAnderson wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

And I'm apparently nonexistent.

And I'm a doodle on a napkin! XD

<Then I'm this guy.

Oh noo

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 7:26 pm

So am I living Kraftwerk's album or Mensch Maschine?

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 12:57 am

I've been told I look like Jesus by a few Christians... and by quite a few crazy people when my hair is long. I've also been told I look like Kelso from "That 70's show" (That Ashton guy... although I don't see that relation in me) when I had shorter hair. Recently though someone pointed out to my mother that I looked like an older musician by the name of James Taylor... And it's almost like looking in a mirror when I see pictures of him with hair :roll: Here's a picture I found of him that looks very much like me currently (I don't want to post a picture of myself because I don't want to :))

The only difference between me and this picture is that I have dark brown hair with faded gold in it which looks alot like brass. Also my eyebrows are a little less dense as well... and I have hazel eyes. Yeah I've never heard this guy's music, but I was told he was popular and that had I been born earlier when he was popular I probably wouldn't have had much troubles finding a date. I don't know how true that statement is though given my HFA powers :?

But, yeah I doubt people guess I look like the picture above when they see my avatar or read what I write :lol:

... I will note that I look a bit younger than he does in that picture though, but I can see myself looking more like that in a few years... maybe 10 :)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 7:48 am

Janissy wrote:
Once I became deeply confused when two posters who had chosen a cartoon penguin got into a disagreement. An entire page of a thread seemed like one cartoon penguin angrily muttering to itself.

:lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 10:19 am

Lace-Bane wrote:
The only difference between me and this picture is that I have dark brown hair with faded gold in it which looks alot like brass. Also my eyebrows are a little less dense as well... and I have hazel eyes. Yeah I've never heard this guy's music, but I was told he was popular and that had I been born earlier when he was popular I probably wouldn't have had much troubles finding a date. I don't know how true that statement is though given my HFA powers :?

i am sure you are eye candy then.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 10:41 am