Page 4141 of 7596 [ 121530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4138, 4139, 4140, 4141, 4142, 4143, 4144 ... 7596  Next

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 10:32 am

EnglishJess wrote:
Will I get what's coming to me eventually?

i hope you do. i am sorry that you live in an impoverished situation because of reasons i can not understand.
you seem completely innocent to me.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 10:46 am

an asian person asked me what what my name was and i told him, and i asked him what his name was, and he said his name was "aki hakuhara" (sp?).
when i asked him for the english translation of his name, he looked bamboozled, so i instantly realized that he was not being honest with me. he could speak fluent english, and the fact he could not tell me what his name meant in english alerted me to the fact that he may be an illegal immigrant.

another asian i met a few months ago told me that his name was "robert hall", and when i asked him to tell me what that translated to in his original asian language , he could not tell me, so i also became instantly suspicious of his credibility.

i never rang any immigration authority about my concerns so i guess i am a nice guy.

Last edited by b9 on 31 Jul 2013, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 10:49 am

b9 wrote:
an asian person asked me what what my name was and i told him, and i asked him what his name was, and he said his name was "aki hakuhara".
when i asked him what that meant in english, he looked bamboozled, so i instantly realized that he was not being honest with me. he could speak fluent english, and the fact he could not tell me what his name meant in english alerted me to the fact that he may be an illegal immigrant.

another asian i met a few months ago told me that his name was "robert hall", and when i asked him to tell me what that translated to in his original asian language , he could not tell me, so i also became instantly suspicious of his credibility.

i never rang any immigration authority about my concerns so i guess i am a nice guy.

Many names cannot be translated from another language. Many people here also are in English programs, or work using translators. And when many do decide to stay, they often change their names to something anglo, which is actually an option on one of the applications, so they have an easier time of things here.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 10:58 am

Kjas wrote:
Many names cannot be translated from another language.

well then how can we ever know who they really are?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

31 Jul 2013, 11:00 am

I am headed to Hawaii this October. Hope no tsunamis come my way, or else I'll have to give people on here Whose Line eps!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:02 am

b9 wrote:

Let me put it this way: If I tried to translate my first name into English, it could not be done without writing a paragraph, because English has no word or even anything even simply near the concept. Also during translations, much of the meaning is lost. Sometimes it just sounds plain stupid or crazy to try and explain it in another language.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:05 am

I wonder what my name is in Asian.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:13 am

I will be in Vancouver, BC on Monday.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:19 am

Kjas wrote:
b9 wrote:

Let me put it this way: If I tried to translate my first name into English, it could not be done without writing a paragraph, because English has no word or even anything even simply near the concept. Also during translations, much of the meaning is lost. Sometimes it just sounds plain stupid or crazy to try and explain it in another language.

yeah sorry. whatever.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:24 am

It's foggy outside where I am.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

Tomorrow is Thursday!!

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

equestriatola wrote:
It's foggy outside where I am.

it is impossible for me to me to say appropriate things to you.
live long you.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:48 am

i can not really talk to anyone at this point of time and i am going to bed now so nothing here matters to me any more, but i do hope that english jess does not suffer any more. she deserves much more than she is given.

end

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:55 am

Right......

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 12:00 pm

You know, I would give up my internet for as long as I go away for just to go to another country, even if it is still in the UK. I would do that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 12:06 pm

I don't want to give up. I think that if I keep on trying to make sense of what seems to me as twaddle then I will at some point understand. However, I do believe that some people confuse real life with what is written in a text book. Sometimes life is not logical and people are sometimes irrational. I cannot talk to robot minds. It's no wonder we have had a problem with CAPTCHA!