Who's Death Shocked You the Most?

Page 7 of 10 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Apr 2008, 8:26 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
^That's sounds awful.

Yeah, :( that's what I thought, at the time.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 8:27 pm

My father, who died of AIDS related pneumonia in 1994. There were things about his life that he kept secret from my mother, sister and me.

Z

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 8:28 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
^Maybe it will be quick and painless and you won't even know it.......hopefully. :wink:

I want to know when I am dying, no matter how painful.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:00 pm

Princess Diana was shocking, I can still remember hearing about it on the news 10 years ago. So was Irwin, and others. They seem shocking at first, but when you learn the details it really isn't so shocking. Diana for example. Did she always hire intoxicated idiots who disregard everyone's safety to drive for her? Nobody can acquire enough status and fame to become exempt from the laws of physics.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:31 pm

Icheb wrote:
Well, Douglas Adams died at 49, that was a bit of a bummer.

This was the only celebrity death that really affected me. I think because it was so sudden, and because the author as a person was so inspirational to me- his writing really taught me how to live with depression, by finding a kind of humor in everything.

And he was just a really great guy. His support of the environment was inspirational. I really looked up to him.

Personally, probably my guinea pig shocked me- which may sound silly, but I was 12 and going through cancer treatments at the time so I was rather vulnerable about it. Plus I'd spent about 5 years doting on the animal.

My grandmother died last year, and it's still hard to believe, but we all knew it was coming so I wouldn't call it shocking.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 9:33 am

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
Icheb wrote:
Well, Douglas Adams died at 49, that was a bit of a bummer.

This was the only celebrity death that really affected me. I think because it was so sudden, and because the author as a person was so inspirational to me- his writing really taught me how to live with depression, by finding a kind of humor in everything.

And he was just a really great guy. His support of the environment was inspirational. I really looked up to him.

Yes, Douglas Adams' death shocked me too, and I only heard of it after I read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"; by then I was a huge fan. :(

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to die. He was one of them. :(

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2008, 9:59 am

I predicted Jeff Buckley's death about a week before it happened...but I was still really shocked when it actually DID happen..... 8O

I didn't mean to pedict his death...i just said that of all my "celebrity" heros, I thought he was the most likely to die young..and sure enough, only a few days later it was on the radio that he had died...cooincidentally enough....

Phil Hartman was pretty shocking...

Jim Henson was very shocking...and traumatising...

George Harrison's death really took me by suprise too.

the shock impact of Princess Di's death was pretty memorable..

I was on an out-of-town gig with my band, and when we got back to our hotel room after the show, it was all over the news....

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:05 am

EvilOlive wrote:
I predicted Jeff Buckley's death about a week before it happened...but I was still really shocked when it actually DID happen..... 8O

I did that when Madre Theresa died! 8O More or less a week before she died I asked my father how old she was, how she was living a long life for someone in her conditions and wondered how old she was going to be when she died. A week later, when she did, I was shocked.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:09 am

Saddam Hussein's death was pretty shocking since I had never seen a televised execution before.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:12 am

^That was shocking and I'd never seen public execution aired either. As bad as he was, I never thought anything like that would happen.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:22 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Saddam Hussein in this thread since viewing an execution is extremely shocking. 8O

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:27 am

^Actually, after looking through this thread, that is weird. Who would've thought that Saddam, the leader of Iraq for many many years would have been captured and publicly executed like that and have it be televised? I didn't even think at that time they were really going to go through with it.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:37 am

Those guys in ski masks looked pretty scary when they were putting the noose around his neck.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 11:04 am

Venger wrote:
Saddam Hussein's death was pretty shocking since I had never seen a televised execution before.

I never watched it. Must've been.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 3:14 pm

SilverProteus wrote:

I didn't watch it, either. I'm really not into that sort of thing at all :x

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

I didn't watch it, either. I'm really not into that sort of thing at all :x

There was another exectution video going around, but I didn't want to watch it (I think my brother did though, he was the one who mentioned it to me). Only, by his description, this one was way worse than a hanging could ever be.