Anyone feel they can't do anything right?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jimmister
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2009, 8:57 am

Is this usual for an aspie? It's been making me kind of depressed. Even the little things. For example, my sister was in the bath when I heard the doorbell and the dog barking at it. I was home alone alone with my sister. Naturally, I knew I wasn't supposed to answer the doorbell, and I thought that meant not to look at the doorbell ringer too. When my sister came out of the bath, she asked me what the dog was barking at and i replied "doorbell" and she asked if i checked who it was. I replied no and she was giving a sarcastic response and all. I think I was punished and forsaken to be unable to do many things.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 11:47 am

Well, it used to be normal for me. I used to be very uncomfortable doing anything out of the ordinary, such as going to the shop to buy stuff, telling the bus driver to "stop here" and so on. Answering the door/ phone is the worst, I'm not very good at it either. Just don't worry about, even if you can't do some "simple" things like this, you might surprise yourself with the other things you can do, even though you thought you couldn't :)

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 12:08 pm

Heh, whenever someone knocks on the door or whatever, I ignore it/go hide/cringe in a corner. "Go away, whoever, I can't deal with you.".

Can't answer the phone either.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 12:23 pm

I'm much more suited to work with machines or animals than other humans

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2009, 9:15 am

Jimmister, personally I don't think you did anything wrong there. If you weren't expecting anyone and weren't supposed to answer the door, what good would it have done to know *who* it was? Plus if they had seen you, do you think they would have given up that you weren't home? No. Anyway, it would have been more impolite to peek out, be seen and then *not* answer the door. There is no insult in finding that "no one is home". Its a big insult if they are home and deliberately avoiding you. And if sister was expecting someone, perhaps she shouldn't have been lounging around in the bath. Just because the doorbell/phone rings, doesn't mean a person *has* to answer it. Just my opinion, anyway. :wink:

I have had days when it felt that I couldn't do anything right either. Some days it does get to me too, especially when I was trying my best but it seemed not to be good enough, days where I was so proud of an accomplishment, only to have that ignored and have a perceived failing harped on . Some things I just made a mental note for later not to do again or do differently the next time, other times I wondered if this was going to matter next week - usually it will not. I try to remind myself of that if I am having a bad day.

knowledgeiskey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jun 2009, 10:30 am

I've read something that claims Aspies lack common sense to an extent. I've always had the notion that I do things odd. It has intervened in my social and work life. I think that's where my procrasination comes from. If I do something, I usually do it the wrong way, so I just use procrasination as a defense mechanism.

littlegreenleaf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2009, 11:48 pm

It varies from time to time, but lately, yes.

ibillymom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2009, 1:21 pm

I feel like I can never do anything right.....a failure at almost everything. It's possible that I don't even breathe right? What can ya do about it?

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 1:29 pm

To anyone watching me from another dimension, I must appear like Mr. Bean. :geek:

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 2:00 pm

Sometimes, when I am around certain people it feels like I can't know anything, or like I can never be right, or like I am going to have to turn myself wrong side out in order to gain acceptance.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 2:39 pm

I used to think I could never do anything right, but then I realized that no one ever does anything right! Think about it, every single thing that every single person does could be improved on, and there is ALWAYS someone who can do it better then you. So really it does not matter, because thinking you cant ever do anything right, you are thinking that others are doing stuff the correct way, when really there is no perfect way to do anything.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2009, 3:10 pm

Sometimes, but not very often.

Ligea_Seroua
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 1:03 pm

frequently.

But I can do things wrong in a variety of new and sometimes interesting ways. Tend to be interesting later, though. :)