Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2009, 9:30 am

Im just curious...does anyone here have an intense fascination about Japan? i sure do! i just cant get enough of reading about the history of the country, cooking Japanese cuisine, reading up on whats going on in japan and all that stuff. I'm just crazy for all things Japanese!

I haven't been to Japan ever but i know so much about it. i promised myself that i would go as a gift for graduating college.

i just cant wait to go...

PikaYoshi
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2009, 5:36 pm

I am also fascinated with Japan. :D
I really want to learn Japanese, and I really want to go to Japan, but I probably will never have the chance to go.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 9:16 pm

Me too! I've been studying Japanese for 10 years now, and I plan on visiting Tokyo this spring.

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 12:11 am

I've had an off-and-on fascination with Japanese culture for most of my adult life. I spent a semester in college studying the Japanese language, though I can only remember a few phrases now. I wish I had kept it up as I'd likely be fluent by now. I've studied a more traditional form of Japanese jujutsu (not to be confused with the Brazilian variety, which is what comes to most people's minds when jujutsu is mentioned, at least in my experience). For a while I studied medieval Japanese history (i.e., pre-Meiji Restoration); at one point I probably knew it better than American history (not anymore, though). My favorite poet is Basho. Occassionally I listen to Japanese music, primarily taiko drumming (Kodo is awesome!) or shakuhachi (bamboo flute) music. My favorite place to relax is a traditional Japanese garden, the kind with the koi pond, bridges, large-scale bonsai trees, etc. I've always wanted to learn ikebana, Japanese flower arranging. I've always wanted to study koryu bujutsu, or classical Japanese martial arts, but it can be difficult to find such schools outside Japan.

Short answer: Yes. :wink:

EggDownUnder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: Melbourne, Australia, Earth, Sol Solarsystem, Milky Way, Universe

23 Sep 2009, 5:22 am

Yep, I'm a Japan-o-phile too! :D I just think the culture there is as far away from the West as you can get. I'd love to live there for a while.

my mood monkey swings like it's the 60s

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 7:53 am

Japan has a very sophisticated culture. I find their aesthetic sense to be far in advance of the West. They have a wonderful sense of asymmetry. Also some of their ground and floral arrangements prove (once again) that less is more.

When Japanese folks are not on the war-path they are a wonderful component of the human scene.

ruveyn

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 8:47 am

what a question :S

90% of western youth is fascinated by japan.

99% of aspies are fascinated by japan.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 9:41 am

:s I don't get the point...My uncle (japanese citizen,a pure japanese) is encouraging me to go to Japan...but it seems that i ain't interested with the offer..I'm planning to move somewhere else but Japan would be my last option :(

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 9:50 am

It seems like Japan and anime are very popular in the west.

Anyway I find all cultures interesting but I've never really found the overall Japanese culture all that interesting or at least in a modern perspecitive not even their anime popularity. However I've always been a big fan regarding the culture from an ancient perspective kind of like Egypt. I love their illustrious and colorful works of art even their ancient calligraphy as well as the ways in which their society worked. Their ever-fascinating ethics of respect toward their fellow people, elders and and ancestry is something not so prevalent in today's socieity.

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 11:22 am

MissConstrue wrote:
It seems like Japan and anime are very popular in the west.

I agree. It seems like a lot of people out here love Japan and anime, but I barely see people displaying their fascination publicly. No one talking about it, referencing it, quoting it, wearing it on shirts... Which is weird, because I've been noticing very sublte increases in how much anime is poping up. There's a whole buch of games now that use the art style, there's now a huge shelf dedicated to it in Best Buy as well as in other stores, and the number of anime style shows/cartoons on tv is only increasing, and even coming out of the "late night only" slots. But I've never had or witnessed a conversation about anime or even Japanese culture in particular. It's as though everyone loves it, everyone knows it, but people are still too afraid to come out and talk about it because they think they'll be view as "that guy with the weird obssession." So instead, they're waiting around for other people to break the barrier so they can feel more comfortable talking about it themselves.

Anyways, I don't know how apparent anime/Japanese culture in general is in public in other parts of the US, but that is how it seems to be here. :P

Oh, and to answer your question, yes I have a pretty big fascination with Japan/anime that only started up recently :)
I'd love to visit Japan sometime, though I would NEVER be able to do it alone, and I think I would want to at least a basic grasp of the language and culture so I don't make an ass of myself, and know what to expect. I especially want to learn the laws... I hear it's illegal to drive a dirty car in Japan, and it's also illegal to chew gum in public.

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2009, 12:02 pm

I do admit, i am an anime junkie! but as much as i am hooked on anime it represents a fraction for the obsession i have with Japan.

Japan and all that what makes it has been one of the most positive influences on my life and helped me through my rough patches in life. as of late i have fallen off the japan wagon coz of school and what not but i do remind my self of the things that make japan and thats what makes me happy.

i love japan so much, id go as far as saying i love it more any woman.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 3:38 am

I like anime.

I want to go to Japan someday.

Jaythefordman
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2009, 5:02 am

I have been to japan a couple of times, and absolutely love it. from the bright lights and craziness of Toko, to the serene beauty of Nikko its a country that has everything. I love the culture and history, and will definitely head back again soon.

I go for the sights, and the food, Both my Wife and I love the food. I am slightly obsessed with Ramen Noodles, particularly the rich miso based Hokkaido style.

Don't be afraid to go, knowing Japanese is not essential as most street signs are in both japanese and english, and its very easy to get around once you get your head around the train and subway systems. If you get stuck, it doesn't take long before an english speaker will ask if you need help.

I could go on and on about the country. Its awesome. I'm always up to answering any questions anyone has on getting around there and stuff.

BTW its Singapore with the chewing gum laws :) However, you can't smoke and walk, and its frowned upon to eat and walk in japan

elf_1half
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2009, 7:53 am

I love Japanese culture and really want to go to Japan someday. I used to be really into anime and manga, I don't really keep up with it much anymore but I am no less fascinated by Japan.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 8:25 am

:roll: I don't really have anything against Japan, but I don't get the J-obsession, and I grow weary of seeing it everywhere.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2009, 8:27 am

Not to mention, their culture is still very sexist, even more so than Western culture. From what I've heard, most Japanese women are taught to "know their place" and be submissive.