too much sitting (watching TV or at computer) = Death!

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:16 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... rt-disease

Quote:
Watching television increases risk of death from heart disease
Couch potatoes and computer users face higher risk of death from heart disease, strokes and cancer, warn scientists

Monday 11 January 2010

Every hour spent watching television each day increases the risk of dying from heart disease by almost a fifth, say scientists.

Couch potatoes were warned that their lifestyle also increased the risk of death from other causes including cancer.

People who spent hours watching television greatly increased the chances of dying early from heart attacks and strokes, researchers in Australia found. Compared with those watching less than two hours of TV, people who sat in front of the box for more than four hours a day were 80% more likely to die for reasons linked to heart and artery disease.

The researchers monitored 8,800 adults for six years to see what impact watching television had on their long-term health. They found that each hour a day spent in front of the television increased the risk of death from all causes by 11%. It also raised the risk of dying from cancer by 9% and the risk of heart disease-related death by 18%.

The scientists warned it was not only telly addicts whose lifestyles put them in danger. Any prolonged sedentary behaviour, such as sitting at an office desk or in front of a computer, posed similar risks. It also made no difference whether or not a person was overweight or obese.

"Even if someone has a healthy body weight, sitting for long periods of time still has an unhealthy influence on their blood sugar and blood fats," said the study's lead researcher, Prof David Dunstan, from the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute in Victoria, Australia.

The average amount of TV people watch each day is three hours in Australia and the UK, said the scientists. In the US, where two-thirds of adults are overweight or obese, some people spent eight hours watching television ‑ the equivalent of a nine to five working day.

"What has happened is that a lot of the normal activities of daily living that involved standing up and moving the muscles in the body have been converted to sitting," said Dunstan.

"Technological, social, and economic changes mean that people don't move their muscles as much as they used to, and consequently the levels of energy expenditure as people go about their lives continue to shrink. For many people, on a daily basis they simply shift from one chair to another ‑ from the chair in the car to the chair in the office to the chair in front of the television."

The scientists interviewed 3,846 men and 4,954 women aged 25 and older who underwent sugar tolerance tests and provided blood samples. Participants were recruited from 1999 and studied for the next six years. Based on their own reports of TV viewing they were grouped according to whether they watched less than two hours a day, between two and four hours, or more than four hours.

During the follow-up period there were 284 deaths, 87 from cardiovascular, or heart and artery disease, and 125 from cancer.

While the association between cancer and television viewing was modest, there was a strong link between TV watching and a higher risk of cardiovascular death. This was despite taking account of recognised heart disease risk factors such as raised cholesterol levels and lifestyle.

The findings were reported today in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.

Dunstan had this message for members of the public: "In addition to doing regular exercise, avoid sitting for prolonged periods and keep in mind to 'move more, more often'. Too much sitting is bad for health."

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:26 am

In other news, after extensive scientific research, water has been declared wet.

Last edited by monsterland on 12 Jan 2010, 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:28 am

^awesome!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:35 am

I'll get to Heaven, sooner. :)

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:41 am

I just tripped on my own boot laces and fell flat on my face on hard snow covered drive walking my trash container out to the street. They were tucked inside my boots but the hooky-deal caught on my other boot lace and tripped me up. I have never felt any younger or healthier than I do now!

I got to see a beautiful deer crossing the street only a few yards ahead. Nice!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:05 am

Meadow wrote:
I just tripped on my own boot laces and fell flat on my face on hard snow covered drive walking my trash container out to the street. They were tucked inside my boots but the hooky-deal caught on my other boot lace and tripped me up. I have never felt any younger or healthier than I do now!

what? is there life on the outside?! 8O
that's crazy!! 8O

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:10 am

computerlove wrote:
Meadow wrote:

what? is there life on the outside?! 8O
that's crazy!! 8O

Not a lot :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:14 am

I wonder if getting up and running around counteracts this? Because I take breaks away from my computer/TV to go outside and run. I run anywhere from 1 to 9 times a day, from 15 to 45 minutes per run.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2010, 1:23 am

Well, it's not like we are going to live forever, is it?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:24 am

I'll see you all in Heaven, tomorrow. :lol:

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:35 am

I knew my day job of sitting in front of a PC was dangerous :P

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:40 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'll see you all in Heaven, tomorrow. :lol:

Haha, I get it! :o

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2010, 2:52 am

each hour sitting increases risk by 1/5?

one-firth of what, exactly? not of 100% or we'd all be dead. what does that statistic mean? anything?

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2010, 12:45 pm

iquanyin wrote:
each hour sitting increases risk by 1/5?

one-firth of what, exactly? not of 100% or we'd all be dead. what does that statistic mean? anything?

Eh, I think this is just another "study" that the media came up with just to scare us even more.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 12:51 pm

:( but I like to sit :(

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 1:38 pm

Maybe it will help if I watch some exercise videos on the TV.