Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RonaldD793
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2016, 4:23 am

What are your thoughts on race-mixing? Think of at least one thing which you can say concerning the concept of race-mixing.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 4:31 am

It doesn't make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, but there's nothing wrong with it otherwise.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 4:31 am

It's cool. I like to start out with a bike race, and then mix it up with a 100 metre sprint, and then a 24 hour Le Mans session... :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 6:29 am

I don't think most people give two s**ts about it these days, personally.

My wife is black. I'm white. We have our cultural differences sometimes. But, otherwise, I don't really think of her as being "black" unless she starts on an anti-white rant.

I don't think it DOESN'T make sense; nor do I think it MAKES sense.

It just is. Like Tom Sawyer liking Becky.

There are times when multi-racial children can be really, really beautiful.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:13 am

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'd also never be personally interested in it as I only find my own race attractive. But for others, enjoy if that's what you're into.

I really can't see what people would have wrong with it in 2016. And I'm not at all what would be called a modern or forward thinker. I still personally know people who still make comments when they see a white woman with a black man. They honestly think it's "wrong". but have no logical basis for that feeling.

I think people are entitled to feel however they want, regardless of whether or not it makes any sense to me personally. I then have the right to think their views are stupid. And the world somehow continues to turn...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:36 am

The concept of race is irrelevant within an evolutionary context. Cosmetic differences alone do not determine the survival of a species. Activity, adaptability, agility, health, intellect, perseverance, and sociability are some of the many factors that help enable a person to live long enough to pass his or her genetic heritage to the next generation.

Only tribalism - an artificial construct of both politics and religion - makes racism a significant factor in determining viability of one race over another.

Blending of the races prevents inbreeding, which limits the evolutionary process, and which also keeps the inbred gene pool weak, thus leaving its victims - the inbred offspring - vulnerable to various emotional, mental, and physical health problems.

Come to think of it, how high is the incidence of Autism Spectrum Disorders among genetically-mixed families? Is it higher or lower than the aggregate norm? Is it not significantly different? Has any research been made on any alleged links between "pure race" ancestry and the incidences of ASD in a genetic lineage?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:53 am

I think the general concern is mostly from the older generation that mostly has problems with it. Younger people don't really care but the parents and grandparents that grew up in that era feel alot differently about it.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 9:37 am

Fnord wrote:
The concept of race is irrelevant within an evolutionary context. Cosmetic differences alone do not determine the survival of a species. Activity, adaptability, agility, health, intellect, perseverance, and sociability are some of the many factors that help enable a person to live long enough to pass his or her genetic heritage to the next generation.

Only tribalism - an artificial construct of both politics and religion - makes racism a significant factor in determining viability of one race over another.

Blending of the races prevents inbreeding, which limits the evolutionary process, and which also keeps the inbred gene pool weak, thus leaving its victims - the inbred offspring - vulnerable to various emotional, mental, and physical health problems.

Come to think of it, how high is the incidence of Autism Spectrum Disorders among genetically-mixed families? Is it higher or lower than the aggregate norm? Is it not significantly different? Has any research been made on any alleged links between "pure race" ancestry and the incidences of ASD in a genetic lineage?

I could be wrong, but I was under the idea that ASD is overwhelmingly Caucasian. Not exclusively, of course, but a very high percentage.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 10:35 am

In many countries, Caucasians have more financial resources and easier access to mental health care. This alone may account for more Caucasians getting diagnosed than non-Caucasians.

In countries where Caucasians are the minority, the culture may be more compatible with higher-functioning autism, or the cultural dynamics may eliminate an autistic individual's chances of producing children.

Can anyone think of such a society where strict adherence to a daily routine and a surplus of millions of (potentially autistic) men is normal?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 9:59 pm

Fnord wrote:

It's not about survival of the species or cosmetic differences. It's about specific adaptations to certain environments. People will lose the specializations that have been attained over tens of thousands of years of living in particular areas.

It may not be a factor if we all depend on technology and don't need to be adapted to the climate, but I kind of like the idea of being specialized to live in a certain environment. I hate having white skin, for instance. I don't like the cold, and I can't stand dry weather. But I don't tan much, get burned easily, and am generally allergic to sunscreens. My ancestors are mixed European (as far as I know), from different climates. So I'm not really specialized for any particular environment, and I don't like it. I'd much prefer to have darker skin, so that I can go live somewhere with decent weather and not get severely sunburned.

Plus, anthropology is probably my biggest special interest. I love learning about different cultures and different types of people. I love learning about all of the different adaptations that we have, and reading about why they think that we evolved that way. I like to see the way that we differ from each other, and the similarities. Diversity makes people interesting to me. If we all merged into one homogenous species, to me it would be a huge loss of culture and diversity.

There are already so many cultures and ethnic groups that have completely disappeared in the last few hundred years. There are really interesting peoples that are being destroyed because they are being killed, and their lands are taken away. They are forced into other lands that are unfamiliar, and they can't live as they once did. They can't survive. Some of these cultures are extremely ancient and unique among our species. Nobody is paying attention as they are being totally wiped out by other cultures.

So I don't think race-mixing is a problem if only some people do it. If everyone does it, then to me it's a loss. I don't want a global culture; I like the things that make us different. Although that is probably what we are moving towards, and it's likely inevitable.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

02 May 2016, 3:21 am

I never really cared what race someone was when I was looking for a girlfriend.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Golubaya_Krov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2016, 4:01 am

As a child, I find it gross, and my stance has not changed since.

Fnord wrote:

I am wondering too, especially amongst outsprings from Asian Females/White Males...

@GGPViper : your post made me chuckle :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 6:28 am

Golubaya_Krov wrote:
As a child, I find it gross, and my stance has not changed since.
Fnord wrote:
I am wondering too, especially amongst outsprings from Asian Females/White Males...
So you think that mixed-race couples and their offspring are "gross". That's racist thinking. I have reported your personal attack against me, my wife, and my children.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 6:40 am

I think it's perfectly fine.

Golubaya_Krov
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2016, 7:18 am

Fnord wrote:
So you think that mixed-race couples and their offspring are "gross". That's racist thinking. I have reported your personal attack against me, my wife, and my children.

That's a shortcut on the offsprings...I don't want to take :x. Sorry if you're offended , I don't mean to make a personal attack or anything else, it was only childish thoughts.
As a child, I saw a white boy kissed a black girl on the cheek on the playground, and it shocked me.
Then now, I believe race-mixing is mostly two-sided which is regrettable, but again pardon my ignorance.

As a background, I'm not even a caucasian, and I have lots (almost all) of my cousins/relatives who are in a mixed couple...As long as they are happy, I don't care.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 7:50 am

Well.....I am biracial. Black mother, Irish-American father. Basically everyone caused me grief except other mixed people and the VERY highly educated. I really can't answer the question. Best to be the same race as whoever is winning at the moment. I'd rather be educated,rich, and black than uneducated,poor, and white regardless of who is the majority race/colour. My husband is white and I'd rather be dead without him. He probably can go on without me but I can't be without him. I make more money than him and have more education - just a tad more. I need him emotionally.