Can you sleep in any position other than lying down?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Squirrelrat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2010, 9:34 pm

Because I can't! Both of my overnight rides on the Greyhound bus system were agonizing because I couldn't sleep sitting up. I'm not even that good at sleeping in a bed!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm

I can sleep any time, anywhere in any position.

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:08 pm

I can sleep in any position.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:31 pm

Nope, I can only sleep lying down.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:51 pm

After a heart attack I slept sitting up for several months and I now sleep half propped up on three pillows. Before, I slept flat on my stomach and thought there was no other way.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:55 pm

I have fallen asleep while sitting down at a desk multiple times. I prefer lying down, though. :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 11:48 pm

i was stuck on a grayhound bus for 4 & 1/2 nights, [and days], and since the seats would not recline, i was awake and in a daze for 3 out of those 4 & 1/2 nights and days. when i finally got home, i slept for 18 hours a day for 4 days. i never have ridden in any kind of long-distance bus since then. never again.
as for sleeping positions in general, i normally fall asleep flat on my back, but backpain wakes me so i toss and turn side to side, as shoulder pain makes me switch sides all night long. needless to say, i rarely get a really good night's sleep these days. i wish i could just drink myself to sleep. drunks sleep alright.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 11:53 pm

I can sleep on my side or on my belly. I have slept in the car too in the seat and I have slept on the train and but I find it very hard to sleep on the plane because the space is so crowded and the seats don't go far back.

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 9:24 am

I have no problem at all sleeping in a sitting position. Squatting works fine as well. When I'm really tired or bored, I can even sleep standing, at least as long as there is a wall I can lean to.

I do not sleep as deeply in most of these position as I would do lying down, though. As a rule of thumb, the closer I am to lying, the deeper my sleep will be. More upright positions seem to induce more vivid dreams, though.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:07 pm

Descartes wrote:
I have fallen asleep while sitting down at a desk multiple times.

I think this is my favorite position 8)

Just stack up some schoolbooks and use your arms as a nice pillow.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 12:23 am

I barely slept sitting up for 4 months straight while my daughter was in and out of hospitals. It caused serious problems with my back muscles and was part of what made me chronically ill with FMS. It was horrible and I loss count of how many times I wish so bad that I could just lay down on a cot or anything next to her bed instead of having to sleep sit up.

I don't recommend sleeping that way to anyone. But I would do it again if I were in the same situation because I'm a mother and that's what mother's like me do when something like that happens to one of our children or a loved one.

I don't know how people sleep standing up :?:

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 12:25 am

I can sleep lying down or sitting up. I cannot sleep when I am standing.

ruveyn

FluffyDog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:56 am

Taupey wrote:
I don't know how people sleep standing up :?:

As I tried to explain above, my sleep is different in different positions. When I sleep while standing up by sleep is very shallow and I can awaken instantly. In this position, I can even sleep with my eyes open. Nevertheless, it is a state of sleep rather than wakefullness. I dream, real dreams of my subconsciousness running wild that have nothing to do with daydreaming, and when I wake up I cannot really remember the period I covered in that state.

I reckon that another thing that is different when I sleep standing is my muscle tension. I am not nearly as relaxed when I wake up as I would if I had been lying down. Another thing is that I always lean against a wall or a piece of furniture when I pull off this little stunt. Otherwise I would not be able to remain upright.

But on the whole, it is not very comfortable and I only do it when circumstances don't allow for anything else (e.g. outside when the ground is wet) and when I am so tired/bored that I simply can't go on without a little nap.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 10:54 am

Can't fall asleep on my back. If I'm woken up in the middle of sleep I can fall back asleep on my sides, but never on my back.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 1:01 pm

I can fall asleep in every position, every time and in every place. I slept at school, church, office, in the park, train, on the floor and on the keyboard.
I like to sleep only in my bed, but sometimes it's stronger than me and I have no choice.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2010, 10:24 pm

I can sleep pretty much any way, anywhere. I once fell asleep with my head in an open drawer. I can sleep in a closet, on a chair, in the car, at school, at the kitchen table, leaning against a wall, on my computer, etc. I once went to sleep at the movies too.