Haircuts - how often? how do you deal with them?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm

I've historically had a problem with getting haircuts when I "should". I end up going for 6 months without cutting my hair, and then shaving it all off, then repeating the cycle again. I did it myself for awhile. I bought electric clippers and just cut off all my hair every time it got uncomfortable. But ever since I got a real job, doing things this way isn't acceptable, so I have to go to the barber shop. I just can't stand getting haircuts... it makes me terribly anxious and overwhelmed, so I end up just looking unkempt and immature, because I don't keep up my appearance the way most people would expect a person my age to.

I'm curious about how you all deal with getting a haircut. :geek:

Vandalarius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jul 2011, 11:44 pm

I usually go too long between haircuts and I use to wear hats a lot before I got into the corporate world. Now I go in maybe every one and half to two months, which reminds me I am likely due for another haircut soon. The worst part for me it when they try to have a conversation about stuff I really could care less about and I've found that over the years that the more they talk the worse my hair looks afterwards. :(

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 12:28 am

I get my hair cut whenever I feel like it. That's generally once a year. Sometimes longer.

I actually really like my hair being done if I trust the person doing it.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 12:36 am

I go a really long time. The last time I cut my hair, it had been almost a year since the previous cutting. I cut my own hair with a trimmer since I hate going to a shop to have it done, and I'm such a horrible procrastinator that it hardly ever gets done. It doesn't get as long as you'd think, though, since I dampen my hair and run mousse through it to keep it combed back and looking short on the top and I'll trim the back when that starts getting long.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

18 Jul 2011, 3:13 am

I used to only get em about 3x a year. I would get it cut very short & wait till I really needed it before I went again but I started to lose my hair a few years ago so I've started going more often because my hair would look messy & I'd have major problems combing it rite even thou it won't be very long

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:40 am

I never go to the hairdresser.

I've been twice this century.

Hairdressers are very difficult places, where you are expected to engage in large amounts of meaninglesss conversations about jobs, boyfriends, holidays, celebrities, random gossip and so on. It's like going to the pub with the girls who bullied you at school and being forced to listen them witter on randomly while they wield sharp instruments around your head. So I avoid them.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:44 am

I found a great hairdresser. She works in a retirement village and when i go there all the oldies are chatting and ignore me. It also only costs $12. She did my hair for free for my wedding too. So i go whenever the urge takes me. I probably won't cut my hair for another few years though.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 3:57 am

My hair grows very fast. Only 4 months ago I got it chopped off till the shoulders and its already grown to the waist... I'm planning on trimming it myself rather than going to the hairdressers. The worst thing about getting a haircut is getting hair stuck in the clothes.. and also because I hate being touched its very uncomfortable.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 4:02 am

It's easy except for my ears.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 4:15 am

Henbane wrote:
I never go to the hairdresser.

I've been twice this century.

Hairdressers are very difficult places, where you are expected to engage in large amounts of meaninglesss conversations about jobs, boyfriends, holidays, celebrities, random gossip and so on. It's like going to the pub with the girls who bullied you at school and being forced to listen them witter on randomly while they wield sharp instruments around your head. So I avoid them.

:lol: exactly

I cuts me own now, just blast it short every time it starts getting too mad.

Guilted_Lady
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2011, 4:18 am

I must be weird... I know a lot of NTs who hate getting their hair cut too but I don't have a problem with it. I only get anxious if I have a bad conversation with the person cutting my hair. But I've been only getting my ends cut since I've been trying to grow it out - I know when I was younger I was really sensitive about them cutting near my ears because my mother once cut my ear with the scissors.

?Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.?

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 5:16 am

I don't cut my hair. Ever.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 6:49 am

am i the only one who doesn't even try to small talk with the hairdresser haha. i just sit, usually looking at the floor, say 'its great, thanks' and nod at the end when they hold the mirror behind you and then get out of there asap.

how rude of me lol.

last time one chatted to me she asked if i was still at school...then went bright red when i told her i was 22 and didn't say anything else to me after that.

i dont go as often as i should though cos i get anxious and it takes a while to build the courage to go sit in silence.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2011, 6:52 am

I actually really like getting my hair cut.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 7:00 am

When I was 13, I decided to grow my hair out. It was awkward at first, but eventually it grew enough where I could put it up and not worry about it. At 19, I decided I needed to "grow up" and cut it. I kept it at around the same length until I was around 26 and I decided I liked it longer better. I've been growing it ever since. The point is as long as you are comfortable with your hair length, and you keep it reasonably clean, you should be ok.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 7:05 am

I go to the same hairdresser since I was 15 so I trust her and I don't mind getting my hair done now. The best thing about my hairdresser is that she never tries to talk to me except the necessary questions about the length or color. So I just sit there in silence with my eyes closed. That makes me feel almost ok.
I go once in every 6 weeks to maintain the color and the healthy look.