Why do people choose to have kids?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 7:18 pm

Would like to know the reasons why. I tried looking stuff up but couldn't find clear answers.

FYI, the main reason why I'm asking this is because I want to understand if my parents had any expectations for me benefitting their lives in some way, as their child.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Oct 2011, 7:21 pm

Evolutionary reason: Keep the human race going.

Emotional reason: Feel the need to expand their family or have something that they created with their own flesh and blood.

Or they were irresponsible and didn't want kids at all. :shrug:

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 7:34 pm

What the above person stated, but I also think it's because people in our society are under enormous pressure to marry and have children.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

Thanks, that was really helpful! :D

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

Some people want kids because they desire something to care for. Some are born to be mothers (or fathers), I guess, and feel their lives are meaningless unless they've got children to raise. I don't understand why, but that's just based on what people have told me and what I've seen.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 8:33 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Would like to know the reasons why. I tried looking stuff up but couldn't find clear answers.

FYI, the main reason why I'm asking this is because I want to understand if my parents had any expectations for me benefitting their lives in some way, as their child.

You should ask your parents this, as they are the only ones that can tell you what they were thinking when they decided to have you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 9:19 pm

Because some people love children, so they have children to call their own.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 11:34 pm

I had mine because I have wanted to have kids since I was a small child. Plus I love kids and want to take my kid to places and buy him stuff. Now I have one of my own but shame they grow up and then get harder to shop for and deal with. I would like to have another but can't right now because of no room for another one.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 1:54 am

The only underlying reason is evolutionary. No kids and you're an evolutionary dead end. All other reasons stem from this central cause.

rainbowlolly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2011, 7:36 am

I think there are many reasons as to why people have children - some stupid and irresponsible, others okay reasons to do so. Depends on the individual. I one day really want to have children with my fiance :)

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

To live vicariously through their children and brag about their offspring's accomplishments to anyone within hearing distance (also on the internet) because they're dissapointed with their own lives.

</pessimism>

Samarda
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2011, 9:06 am

So their children can fulfill their own failures in life - continuing the legacy that will never be accomplished because it was rejected by the offspring who wanted to live her/his own way.

Quote:
To live vicariously through their children and brag about their offspring's accomplishments to anyone within hearing distance (also on the internet) because they're dissapointed with their own lives.

</pessimism>

Exactly just look at what parents do to "Gifted Children" or "Prodigies" ( respectively).

Their was a movie made about these subjects ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royal_ ... influences
1a)
http://www.piratenz.eu/play.php?url=NTc0NQ==
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Man_Tate

It was about the life that was sucked out of gifted children or analogous to slapping a seed on concrete and expecting it to grow normally. It glimpse these prodigies children as adults and how their IQ flattened out to normal.

---

Too bad the diagnosis is dropping because they changed the standard deviation:

http://www.paulcooijmans.com/intelligence/sd15.html

&

Quote:
As written elsewhere, I am opposed to expressing I.Q.s in relation to age peers (or whatever limited groups) and regard adult deviation scores as the true I.Q.s. This implies that in my view scores of children must be expressed by adult norms. As they rarely are, I describe below a rough method to convert childhood age peer scores to adult scores. Note this method must not be used in cases where the score has already been expressed by adult norms!

Take the age peer I.Q. and the child's age when the test was taken. Calculate the child's "mental age", as if the I.Q. were a mental/biological age ratio score as in the past.

Now convert the mental age to a mental/biological age ratio score of a hypothetical person of age 16. This result is an approximation of the child's adult I.Q. at the moment the test was taken.

An example

A 10-year old scores 170.

Calculate mental age: 1.70 times 10 equals 17.

Convert to ratio score of hypothetical person aged 16: 17 divided by 16 times 100 equals 106.

So this 10-year old has an adult I.Q. of 106.

Another example

A 5-year old scores 275.

2.75 times 5 equals 13.75

13.75 divided by 16 times 100 equals 86.

So this 5-year old has an adult I.Q. of 86.

Another example

An 11.5-year old scores 180.

1.8 times 11.5 equals 20.7.

20.7 divided by 16 times 100 equals 129.

So this 11.5-year old has an adult I.Q. of 129.

When I.Q. is seen this way, it must be understood as a property that increases during childhood and reaches its peak in adulthood. The age at which I.Q. peaks probably differs; The higher the eventual I.Q., the longer it takes to reach, I currently think. However, the steep increase of intelligence typical of childhood ends at about age 16. The possible further increase thereafter is shallow, if existent.

-Paul Cooijmans

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 11:54 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
MathGirl wrote:

You should ask your parents this, as they are the only ones that can tell you what they were thinking when they decided to have you.
I completely agree with TEGH. You should ask your parents MathGirl.

Your Aspie score: 167 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 35 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

It could also be the fact that they're comfortable with their birth genders and they feel liberated in the sexual department, so they want to have children to celebrate that.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 12:04 pm

Samarda wrote:
So their children can fulfill their own failures in life - continuing the legacy that will never be accomplished because it was rejected by the offspring who wanted to live her/his own way.

Quote:

</pessimism>

Exactly just look at what parents do to "Gifted Children" or "Prodigies" ( respectively).

Not everyone desires to live vicariously through their children. Some of us just want our children to be healthy, well-adjusted adults. All else is really insignificant.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 12:31 pm

There are also those kids who's parents want to be grand parents. Being a grand parent is one of the best things that could happen. :D