Why do I hate people going ''who''?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

It's probably another strange pet peeve I have that even other Aspies can't relate to, but does anyone else really hate it when people say, ''who?'' when they mis-hear a name of a person you are talking about? I don't know why, I just get offended for the person who's name they mis-hear, even though saying ''who?'' isn't offensive. But sometimes say [name] got ''who'd''!

People have even mis-heard my name when somebody else in the room is talking about me! God, is my stupid name that hard to hear?!

And I get annoyed with those sorts of people who say ''who?'' at every name you say, but yet can hear all the other words in the sentence, even if you're saying names of places people still don't say ''where?'', but still says ''who?'' at every name, even if it's an extremely clear name.

Does anyone else get annoyed, or is it just me?

sterfry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

I do get frustrated when people don't hear what I'm saying but then again I do tend to mumble. I think you just don't like owls.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 3:08 pm

I might be incorrect, but:

I think it's from the fact you done such an effort in properly expressing yourself telling them your name in a loud clear but calm voice and the next sentence is already prepared in your mind to broadcast to the world and then when you're about the drop the very first letter of your next phrase the person goes "WHOOOOO" and then you have to repeat yourself again and start over and probably forget what your next sentence was after all.

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2012, 5:57 am

sterfry wrote:
I think you just don't like owls.

Lol

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 7:07 am

Setting aside people who did not actually hear it correctly, I think some cases are the questioner trying to establish or display dominance in the conversation. When a conversation dominator is speaking all is well in their world. But when you are speaking they can try to take control by interrupting whenever they want and redirecting you where they want. Redirecting at the mention of names may be favored because it also allows them to pass judgement and make comments. Like in a work setting if you where saying you were waiting for so-and-so to send you some information, the dominator will take control by saying "Who?" and when you repeat it they might make a snide comment about that person or roll their eyes etc. They know interrupting needlessly is rude and some like doing it to try and get you off track and off balance.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 4:39 pm

How do you feel about people saying "what?", "where?", or "when?"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 7:31 pm

Hearing people say what, where, when and why is a lot better than hearing them say who in the wrong context.