Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 12:18 am

I do.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 12:26 am

Yes, I do. I love my Oreck lightweight vacuum cleaner. It is wonderfully easy to use and generally lovely in eberry way. I was heartbroken when my old Hoover broke down, but that is how life goes, sniff sniff sniff. I have no problems eggspressing my many emotions for my beloved objects, including vacuum cleaners. They are dear to me.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 2:26 am

No, they suck.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 9:32 am

They would be better if they exhausted into the outside of your house.

Instead, what they do, is they suck all those microscopic bits of dirt like dust mite feces that were out of the way lying on the floor, and they blast it up and all around the room so that every thing in your room is now as dirty as the floor and you get to deposit all that microscopic dirt and germs onto the inside of your lungs as you breathe it in, thats what that disgusting smell is from people who never take their vacuum cleaners apart and wash them.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 9:44 am

i do not feel like any vacuum cleaners. vacuums can not be cleaned because they are already impeccably empty. "vacuum cleaners" are simply designed to suck rubbish up from the floor. they are not designed to purify vacuums which can not be further purified.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 12:21 pm

b9 wrote:
i do not feel like any vacuum cleaners. vacuums can not be cleaned because they are already impeccably empty. "vacuum cleaners" are simply designed to suck rubbish up from the floor. they are not designed to purify vacuums which can not be further purified.

Vacuums aren't clean. They are teeming with virtual particles. :P

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2012, 12:31 pm

Better than a broom, less than someone else doing the cleaning instead of me.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm

The linguistically correct plural form of vacuum is vacua. To me it sounds like some green stuff being excreted from rotting carcases :eew:

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 6:25 pm

No, I use a broom because I have sensory issues around the noise.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 6:57 pm

They're just tools to clean the floor – which is not a particularly interesting activity.

When they're too noisy, they annoy me.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2012, 7:46 pm

Fein makes quiet shop vacs--you can actually talk to someone while it is running. I got on for my birthday. You can attach it to woodworking tools for better dust control. I use mine all the time to keep my hobby room clean.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

27 Dec 2012, 2:06 am

I prefer them to brooms. I don't have to worry about emptying a dustpan perodically during my cleaning session & I don't have to worry about accidentlly spilling it when I move it around. Vacuums can use different attachments to suck in places brooms cant sweep; for example a decent vacuum with a carpet attachment works a lot better than trying to sweep the carpet. I heard a lot of those common upright vacuums are crap; they either aren't very powerful &/or they break fast. My mom's always had the older type of vacuum with a rod that connects to a tank via a hose for that reason. I need to get a vac for my new place but I don't see the tank type around & I'm not sure what would be a good upright one. I'd appreciate it if you guys could recommend some that would work good for carpet & have a small hose that can detatch & be hooked to different attachments for things like cleaning dust off baseboards.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 5:35 am

when i was a child i was afraid of them due to their sharp and piercing high-pitched whine. i hid and plugged my ears and vocalized in an attempt to block out that horrible noise. my teacher made fun of me in front of the whole class when he found out. the bastard.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 6:02 am

I've had to wear ear defenders around vacuum cleaners long before I knew anything about sensory issues or autism. The sound hurts and I can't block it from my head otherwise. The frequency of some (most) vacuum cleaners is too painful for me to bear.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

27 Dec 2012, 6:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
when i was a child i was afraid of them due to their sharp and piercing high-pitched whine.

I was afraid of them when I was a kid too but I outgrew that & when I got older mom started making me vacuum some. I used them sometimes when I worked too(I did custodial stuff). Vacuums are quieter than other floor equipment I worked with & around.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 6:44 am

the few times in recent years that i've used vacuum cleaners, i wear bulky hearing protectors like what you use to chainsaw wood with. but with my flowbee hair cutter thingie which runs off of a vacuum cleaner, i couldn't wear the hearing protection so i had to find a quieter vacuum cleaner to do the job.