Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2013, 1:23 pm

Any other C&H fans out there? Rereading the books of comic strips makes me wonder if he's an Aspie?

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 5:46 pm

Awww...me too! Now I'm gonna re-read them too! I wouldn't be surprised.

Gotta wonder about Gary Larson of The Far Side comics too.

Persevero
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2013, 6:09 pm

The character or the creator? Can't really agree with either.

It is one of the best comic strips of all time though. I'm subscribed to the Daily C&H page on Facebook and it's a great way to start the day.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

My brother and I enjoyed reading C&H when we were little, and would sometimes act out the strips. When my brother told me that there will be no more C&H comic strips, I was sad, because I enjoyed reading them so much. I just wish that the strip lasted longer.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 7:59 am

I want them back.

Sylkat

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 3:55 pm

I miss C&H too, I wonder why the creator stopped writing the comics?

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 4:17 pm

Calvin and Hobbes is one of my FAVORITE comic strips ever....I became interested in it when I was very young; almost right when the strip ended, actually. I guess I looked at this little kid who preferred to be mostly on his own and had a stuffed animal he talked to and played with exclusively, and thought, "He's just like me!" :D My mom was actually scared that I might turn out to be as naughty as Calvin was in the strip, so every time I got a C&H book from a relative or from Scholastic Book orders, she'd take it away. When I got older though, I managed to reclaim the C&H books my mom took from me, bought all the others from my bookstore or through Scholastic, and I think I pretty much have all the book collections now. :D Not sure where some of them are, but I'm sure they're around.

And a few months ago, I was in the toy aisle of Target, and found and bought a tiger plushie that looked almost exactly like Hobbes. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

I wish Watterson would write more of the strip's world. So much more could be built upon rather than be left in our imagination, but I think that's the beauty of it.

Last edited by BeggingTurtle on 29 Jun 2013, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 5:25 pm

Metalwolf wrote:
I miss C&H too, I wonder why the creator stopped writing the comics?

In 1995, Watterson sent a letter via his syndicate to all editors whose newspapers carried his strip:

Bill Waterson wrote:
I will be stopping Calvin and Hobbes at the end of the year. This was not a recent or an easy decision, and I leave with some sadness. My interests have shifted however, and I believe I've done what I can do within the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. I am eager to work at a more thoughtful pace, with fewer artistic compromises. I have not yet decided on future projects, but my relationship with Universal Press Syndicate will continue. That so many newspapers would carry Calvin and Hobbes is an honor I'll long be proud of, and I've greatly appreciated your support and indulgence over the last decade. Drawing this comic strip has been a privilege and a pleasure, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity.

Essentially, he seemed to just outgrow it.

The 3,150th and final strip ran on Sunday, December 31, 1995.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 5:34 pm

Fnord wrote:

Ironically, Calvin still loves Hobbes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 9:26 pm

I also miss Calvin and Hobbes. I've always been a big fan of the books and the comic scripts.

torquemada
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2013, 1:43 am

YUKON HO!

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2013, 1:58 am

This is probably my favorite strip:

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1989/07/09

"Let's hope it's divorce." :lmao:

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 5:40 am

I want a movie!

OddButWhy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 10:15 pm

I miss C&H, too. Favorites were the strips where Calvin made grotesque snowmen and one about the 1812 Overture.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2013, 2:15 pm

Fnord wrote:

I remember reading something from him back then that outlined it more, saying his real reason for stopping C&H was basically his inability to stifle the commercialization of it. He only wanted the book collections to be made, but the company was trying to merchandise it beyond that, and he was losing his legal ability to stop the company from doing that. So he ended up pulling the plug on them by "retiring" from writing the strip altogether. He then went back to being a professional artist (mainly painting, if I remember correctly).

And he does sound like he might be Aspergers. One thing I found really interesting is that he's said that Calvin isn't really like him at all, and that he was actually pretty quiet and introverted as a kid. He's also said that Susie (the girl Calvin bugs but really likes) basically represents the author's wife in real life.