Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ker08
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2013, 10:57 pm

I feel like screaming, honestly.

I've lived by myself for 2 years after having a bad roommate situation for 1 year. My friend basically talked me into rooming with her. We are not extremely close but do see each other weekly at a trivia thing (honestly that's about the extent of our interactions other than a few other meetups). I told her from the start that the one thing I would not be able to compromise on was my family visiting. She said "okay". I told her my dad was coming down to help me move and he'd stay during that time, she said okay. I told her my brother and sister were coming down for a convention and would stay, she said okay and I told her another of my brother's and his fiancee were coming down for a week and she said okay.

As it turned out my dad/brother/sister will all be there at the same time but will only stay the night at the new place 1, possibly 2 nights. She's now protesting the second night b/c she claims she was under the impression they were leaving after the first. I understand this is move-in weekend, but this is the only weekend of his convention and SHE SAID OKAY BEFORE!!

Of course my brother and his fiancee are coming down the Saturday after my dad/brother/sister leave (on Sun/Mon) so it will be a very busy 2 weeks, but once again SHE SAID YES!

Honestly this is just really bugging me. My family lives 7 hours away. This will almost certainly be the only time my brother/brother/brother's fiancee come down during the year we'll be living together. Possibly my parents/sister will around spring, but that's it! AGHHHH!

Sorry, I just needed to vent. I earn enough money to live alone (she's moving from her parents house and really didn't want to move w/o a roommmate). I *ONLY* went into this because I didn't think I'd have to deal with issues like this.

Alright, /*end rant. I'm hoping she just had a momentary panic'd thought, but honestly if she had said upfront that she wasn't okay with ppl staying I WOULDN'T HAVE SAID YES TO MOVING IN!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 2:57 am

Hello. I understand your situation. Sharing a house with another person is very difficult. I've had some unpleasant experiences, too. When I shared with a friend, her mother (an unpleasant person) seemed to stay in our lounge room indefinitely (obviously she had had a fight with her boyfriend or something). So I had to point out to my friend that her mother's presence was making me very uncomfortable.

In your case, your roommate had accepted your term that your family's visits/stay would be allowed. I think you should remind her of that. Your family is not even staying indefinitely. I think it is selfish and unkind of your roommate to object to your family's staying for two nights. I understand it's really difficult to talk about those things. That's why it's stressful. Can you threaten her that you'll move out or you'll kick her out?

I think you'll be better off living by yourself or with someone who is not selfish/unreliable.