Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

Today I accompanied a sister on an outing with 3 nieces (ages 6,8,10) and one nephew (age 11). I am seldom around children, but I noticed as we were at a restaurant eating, that every one of these children were manhandling the salt shaker, pounding that sodium onto their plates like it was chocolate sprinkles. The 8yo girl also slugged down about 36 oz of water in about 15 minutes after which she went immediately to relieve herself. I think she probably popped that salt shaker over her french fries 3 separate times. Looked extreme to me It seems odd to me to see little children using a salt shaker. I can't imagine kids that age have developed a palate that is craving salt at that age and that it is more a habit formed from watching adults around them. I admit to having little experience with the salt shaker as I have never developed the taste for any salt other than what is put on food during preparation. I am worried about these kids.

Should I be?

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:20 am

Unless you have a medical need for lots of salt, you shouldn't use any excess amounts. A little is good as it's required to stay alive. I have two friends(siblings), who are at the end of the spectrum of salt intake where they need to consume quite a bit just to maintain their health, else they get sick.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479

My Blog
Deviantart Page

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:26 am

I don't know a specific reason why that would be a bad idea, but, as a mom, it seems natural to me to prevent any excess intake of anything. My oldest was never offered salt and never asked for any either.
My youngest asks for salt and pepper, I'm assuming because he sees my husband using them. I always say no, my husband always says yes.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:29 am

thank you very much