Bank of America tried to rip me off of ONE DOLLAR

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

How would you have handled this situation?
I would have done exactly what you did, and demanded my dollar. 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
I would have absorbed the loss, after all, it is only a dollar, and I did leave the bank without counting the roll of coins. 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
I would have taken the dollar they owed to me from the coins in front of the teller and walked out, risking a charge of robbery, of a dollar. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would have filed a lawsuit against Bank of America, for one dollar. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I will post something completely different and random instead. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Lobber
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2014, 1:11 am

Today I went to BofA to buy $25 of Susan B. Anthony Coins. The purpose being? To mess with McDonald's drive thru employees who have no idea what those coins are, and also test Bridge Toll Takers on their coinage knowledge.

I withdrew two $20 from the ATM. Went inside, asked the Teller for a roll of Susan B's.

She told me she didn't have any rolls of just Susan B's, but that the rolls had a mix of those and Golden Sackagawea's.

Then she opened a roll and showed it to me and took out half the coins to show me what was in one $25 roll. Then she put the coins back in the paper roll.

I handed her the $40 and asked for one of those rolls. She gave me the roll, and prepared to give me a ten and a five dollar bill, but then asked "Is this right? What did you give me?"

"Forty dollars? Two twenties I got out of the ATM?"

So she gave me the roll and the change, and I proceeded to McDonald's to order breakfast. And pay for it with these odd poorly known coins.

Before I got to the drive through, on a whim, I decided to count the coins I had. I counted 24 coins. I counted them again, second time, 24 coins. I counted them a third time, still only 24. So I paid for breakfast with my debit card and returned to BofA.

I marched right in, and this time there was a queue of people waiting in line for two tellers. My former teller was open and just then asked for the next customer. I marched past the line, told that customer they would not be able to be served by her, and walked straight up to her counter.

I opened the roll, and dumped the coins in front of her, and told her that she had shortchanged me by a dollar. I asked for a dollar coin. She told me that since I had left the bank without counting them, that I would not get a dollar from her.

Again I asked for the dollar she had shorted me by. She explained that she could not give me a dollar as I had left the bank already. We went around and around like this for five minutes or more. She told me I would need to sit down and wait for her manager to take care of the problem. I told her that I was not sitting down and waiting, for one thing, I was already late for work, and another thing, told her that this problem goes away with only a dollar. She said that the problem will not go away as she would be short in her till by a dollar. She told me several times that she herself rolled those coins. I pointed out to her that she had opened one of the rolls she gave me and must have in some way mishandled the cash when she put the coins back into the roll.

She said that if I did not sit down and wait for the manager she would signal security and have me removed from the building. I told her that I would call the police on her and the bank and report a crime of theft there. She said go ahead and call. Eventually she picked up all the coins (not my coins, there were multiple single sacks and susan b's that belonged to the bank) and other things on her counter and put them down below, and went to the back to speak with her manager. Several minutes later she came back, and told me that her manager had overridden her and was instructed to give me my dollar.

She asked me if I was a bank customer (apparently she had forgotten that I had mentioned I got the $40 from the ATM). I said yes, and she asked me to use my debit card in the reader, so I did, and then she asked me to enter my PIN, which I did. Then she told me that if she was short a dollar at the end of the day my account would be debited for one dollar.

After she gave me my dollar, I thanked her and told her to have a nice day, and left.

My bank account was never debited for a dollar.

This teller needs to be retrained or reprimanded (not fired, unless she intentionally tried to steal a dollar from me, which I really doubt) for incompetence. Not only did she mishandle money entrusted to her, she couldn't even remember how much money was handed to her by a customer and had to ask him how much change to give back. Is this the level of expertise we are to expect from Bank of America nowadays?

Post Script: This event so enraged me, that although I kept my cool and never issued any threats or violence, it did trigger an episode of mania in my bi-polar mood disorder. I came down off of the mania when I got home from work, and felt terrible for a couple of hours in the depths of the depression that ensued. I'm okay now though. Thanks for asking.

(")(")
Cuddly Bunny

zkoc2076
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2014, 7:05 am

Wow what a story. In spite of the unfortunate outcome, much respect and admiration for asserting yourself in the situation this way - good on You that's really great! :cheers:

It sucks when something like that which is a fault of others so adversely affects one's mood - I'm like that too.

Glad to hear you're better now!

If I may ask, did you ever return/contact them about the dollar not being credited?