What are your depression/attempted suicide stories?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm

Since the news of Robin Williams' suicide, I have been reflecting on my own personal demons. During my teen and adult years, I tried to commit suicide five times due to people calling me ret*d, stupid, Rain Man, Alien Nation, *beep* etc. Thankfully I didn't die prematurely and gotten over my life by moving on.

I haven't had a girlfriend in over three years and haven't been on a date in over a year, but I keep trying until I find the woman of my dreams and still do this day. I try to find employment that will actually suit me while still employed at Safeway.

Anyways I will write a full essay on how I dealt with adversity from peers and elders sometime this week which is basically an update on My Struggles and Successes with Multiple Disabilities only with more detail of how I dealt with horrible situations as a teenager and adult.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2014, 11:32 pm

I've been there JML. I have tried train, snow plough, roof top, 22mm gun, rat poison and Luger. I am still here and I don't know why.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 12:56 pm

at 13, stuck the muzzle of a rifle into my mouth and was ready to toe the trigger when my parents walked in. that was my only active attempt. the rest of my life has been one long passive suicide attempt through carelessness/"accident-prone-ness" and beastly diet. but I'm still here [with lots of aches and pains] so there must be a reason god doesn't want me back yet.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 3:01 pm

i'm 17, so i'm guessing the worst is still to come but i had my share of suicidal breakdowns in my early teens, and the only time i told my parents i was suicidal i was given a good slap from my dad. i typed up a suicide letter too.
i never did any active attempts but i probably would have if my parents kept all the deadly household items within reach. we don't own any firearms btw.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 5:53 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i'm 17, so i'm guessing the worst is still to come but i had my share of suicidal breakdowns in my early teens, and the only time i told my parents i was suicidal i was given a good slap from my dad. i typed up a suicide letter too.
i never did any active attempts but i probably would have if my parents kept all the deadly household items within reach. we don't own any firearms btw.

in your opinion, was that "tough love"?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 11:15 pm

^yeah, i guess so. he gets mad easily and, along with my mom, was a big fan of corporal punishment when i was small, but not anymore.
however, he's made it clear that he wants to help me and make me 'better' than him, but we still don't have the best relationship we can.
it's gotten a lot better recently, though. :)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 11:16 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^yeah, i guess so. he gets mad easily and, along with my mom, was a big fan of corporal punishment when i was small, but not anymore.
however, he's made it clear that he wants to help me and make me 'better' than him, but we still don't have the best relationship we can.
it's gotten a lot better recently, though. :)

aside from the slapping, that sounds like tough love to me :)

StarsInMyMargarita
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2014, 1:50 am

A couple years ago my sister made an attempt. It was very surprising, and I think it would've worked if she hadn't called her boyfriend, who sent an ambulance. I was upset that she did it and not me. I spent a lot of time in high school thinking about how, but she just did it.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm

I'm pretty sure that this should be in the members only discussion, and until it is I'm not sharing anything about that.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 8:39 am

I planned a suicide attempt, but my parents caught me before I could carry it out. I was admitted to hospital and diagnosed with clinical depression. Spent the next 13 months in and out of hospital. I also got diagnosed with Asperger's, which is how I got to meet everyone here. :) I'm still not what you might call "fully recovered", but I'm a lot more stable now than I used to be. Sorry to hear about Robin Williams, though. I can't comment on his circumstances, but I still empathise with people who commit suicide, or even those who attempt it.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 11:10 am

i once thought about jumping off the roof of a 60 storey building, but i realized i did not have the guts to climb that high because i was terrified of heights.

savethepenguins
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2014, 3:34 am

b9 wrote:
i once thought about jumping off the roof of a 60 storey building, but i realized i did not have the guts to climb that high because i was terrified of heights.

Well once I was living on the sixth floor of an apartment building, and the one recreation area on the floor had the window open and the screen door busted, so I thought about jumping out more than once, but ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to hurt my family. I was also concerned that it wasn't high enough.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 4:03 am

I think about my family, too. I've never really even thought about attempting suicide because I can't imagine how hurt my parents and sisters would be if I did. If I didn't have them, I probably would have realistically thought about doing it.

A few years ago I had some symptoms of severe depression/anxiety. I couldn't even tell whether certain symptoms were physical or mental. I guess they were both. I was obviously losing even more weight although I was already skinny. I didn't realize it until some people asked me if I was eating okay/if I was sick. It was very frustrating because the incompetent psychologist I was seeing was very dismissive. I was on various medications for about 1.5 years but none of them helped. I just gradually got better when I stopped seeing the psychologist and taking the medication.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 8:54 am

savethepenguins wrote:
b9 wrote:

Well once I was living on the sixth floor of an apartment building, and the one recreation area on the floor had the window open and the screen door busted, so I thought about jumping out more than once, but ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to hurt my family. I was also concerned that it wasn't high enough.

i am sorry i was not being entirely serious in my last post. i have never truly contemplated suicide. i do not want to die because everyone else will get my stuff if i do.

SomebodyNamedMarko
Raven
Raven

Location: Straight then first left,then right and then left again

27 Aug 2014, 5:49 pm

I had rope , I had tree and I stood there. Completely numb, I was not affraid to finnish it. But I started to shake, to tremble,thinking about all people I will hurt, about all people I dont want to hurt,about all people I love and I throw the rope and run away. I really am an idiot.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2014, 1:20 pm

Last winter I tried to make myself fall asleep on the front porch in near freezing weather by taking a bunch of Benadryl and drinking wine. But the damn cold kept me awake and I just couldn't stand it. I have thought about trying it in the summer by sitting in a hot car and going to sleep.